PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Temperature Gauge Behave?

kw_da
10-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi,

Wondering if I have a another problem. I've replaced the thermostat & radiator temperature sensor in my 86 Accord Lxi (fuel injected). Now the temperature gauge moves between approximately 4'oclock and 2'oclock. I can't remember how it worked before, I thought it was pretty much constant at about 4'oclock. On mine, at about 2oclock, the fans come on.

How does everyone else's behave? Constant, or moving? I've seen both answers in my searches.

Thanks,

David

ZackieDarko
10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Mine is at the very bottom all the time.

One day I was siting in traffic in Phoenix AZ in 100+ weather with the AC on and it got to 2/3 up the scale thing. That is the ONLY time it has ever gone above the lowest level.

I think ya might have a problem?

shepherd79
10-06-2006, 03:51 AM
mine is sitting at 4'oclock. never raises anyhigher, doesn't matter what temp.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Mine usually sits at 4 oclock... but i think i have an air pocket in my cooling system because it randomly likes to spike to the top, but drops down fairly quickly.

MessyHonda
10-06-2006, 07:53 AM
well my fans dont work so i have to drive it on the freeway since it does not like trafic...the temp guage goes up to like 3 oclock and i turn on my heater and then it jumps down to like 4.

Blkblurr
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Mine is at the very bottom all the time.
One day I was siting in traffic in Phoenix AZ in 100+ weather with the AC on and it got to 2/3 up the scale thing. That is the ONLY time it has ever gone above the lowest level.
I think ya might have a problem?

Your thermsostat is stuck open.

ZackieDarko
10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
or maybe my car just doesnt over heat?

i dont mean the very very bottom it raises up a little but never gets high at all

Blkblurr
10-07-2006, 06:10 AM
or maybe my car just doesnt over heat?
i dont mean the very very bottom it raises up a little but never gets high at all
That's what it does when it fails in the open possition. If it was working prperly your temp guage should read about mid position if you are using a thermostat that is at or near factory temp. 185 to 194 degress F

ghettogeddy
10-07-2006, 06:20 AM
ya mine sits at about 5 and so does my 89

A18A
10-07-2006, 06:43 AM
about 1.5/4 on mine, even with a hose that bursted off and had the car running at almost redline for a few minutes

ESDEEZ
10-07-2006, 07:57 AM
mine used to sit between 4 and 3 o'clock...........never moved though.

mkymonkey
10-07-2006, 08:15 AM
yeah mine sits at 4o'clock and doesnt move....execpt when im low on coolant...i have a pinhole leak somewhere :(

frantik
10-07-2006, 09:31 AM
well my fans dont work so i have to drive it on the freeway since it does not like trafic...the temp guage goes up to like 3 oclock and i turn on my heater and then it jumps down to like 4.

u should get that fixed man.. i had to get rid of my last 3gee cause the head gasket was fucked due to overheating too often

A18A
10-07-2006, 12:45 PM
have yous all got the old 86 - 87 gauges or something? mine is like around 8o'clock

ilikevtecs
10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
normal

wbarrett48473
10-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Mine likes to hang around the 4 o'clock and when its real hot outside it'll go to the 3 but no higher

Blkblurr
10-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Mine moves to around 8 oclock and holds steady

A20A1
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Water Pump Bad or Belt Slipping
- Heater on full blast is blowing cold air even when temp gauge is normal on dash
- Temp Gauge might show anywhere from cold to hot

Low Coolant or air in system
- Temp gauge might show cold to normal, it usually doesn't show you're overheating.

Normal running
- Temp gauge will raise slowly and settle about midway on the gauge without fluctuation, unless I turn on both fans at idle, then it will drop a little. (my fans are the large stock ones, I used a large one to replace the A/C fan)

w261w261
10-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Mine usually sits at 4 oclock... but i think i have an air pocket in my cooling system because it randomly likes to spike to the top, but drops down fairly quickly.

That's what it sounds like to me. An air pocket will usually affect the fast idle valve also. It's easy to get rid of by opening the bleeder by the thermostat.

kw_da
10-11-2006, 07:21 PM
That's what it does when it fails in the open possition. If it was working prperly your temp guage should read about mid position if you are using a thermostat that is at or near factory temp. 185 to 194 degress F
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Still don't know if I have a problem. Some people have gauges that stay at a particular place. Others vary. Mine slowly goes up to about 1/3 from cold, then (depending on the outside temperature) goes to about 2/3 from the bottom where I believe the fans kick on. I think that may be my radiator/pump is not working as efficiently as possible? I do see the coolant circulating when I have the cap off & the car running.

David

AccordB20A
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
well it may be a bit late but my b20a likes to keep its temperature at 1/2 way no matter what im doing

w261w261
10-12-2006, 07:29 AM
That's what it sounds like to me. An air pocket will usually affect the fast idle valve also. It's easy to get rid of by opening the bleeder by the thermostat.

The condition of the temp gauge going up and then dropping down is also present when the coolant bottle has run low (run out), This introduces air into the system. I know that my bottle had gotten so crudded up that I couldn't read the level of the coolant inside it easily (well, it's never easy because of where the bottle is). I had to take the main bottle cap off and stick a dipstick down into it. It was such a PITA that I didn't do it as often as I should have, and so a couple of times the coolant got too low.

I took out the battery, the battery tray, and then the coolant bottle. I cleaned it up, and now it's easy to read.

Oldblueaccord
10-12-2006, 09:04 AM
You could also check the wire going to the sender. Mine was old and crusty and the needle(guage) would do wierd things until I just replaced the end. it broke off one day while i was fiddling with it.

wp

w261w261
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
<Still don't know if I have a problem. Some people have gauges that stay at a particular place. Others vary>

If yours is "varying," there's something not right. The gauge should go to one place and stay there. Maybe move up some if the day is a scorcher, and you're in heavy slow traffic, but generally it should be nailed to a spot.

StressSolutions
10-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Mine hangs out in the middle when it has been running 4 minutes in the summer and 8 minutes winter. In other words, it behaves very well.