PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Bolt

Fuzy Navel
10-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Ok today i replaced my cv joint and everything and it took me like 2 hours anyways after that i had to add more transmission fluid because it leaked it out well anyways i went ahead and drained it all and was just gonna add fresh oil well when to remove the top bolt (this is manual tranny) the top bolt where you add the oil at and it fuckin stripped the head.. its all rounded off.. Like i had done it before and had no problems but i took it to a honda shop and they replaced my clutch for me like a month ago and i think they tighted it with a impacted wrench thing and got it too tight and i tried to get some vise grips on them but didnt really help tommrow im going to sears to get those striped socket things that have teeth in them to help you get bolts that have been rounded off.. Do you guys have any ideas??

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
The vise grips and bolt extractors are your only choice. Order a new bolt and sealing washer from the dealer and always use a high quality socket on the bolt. While you are getting parts, get the drain plug washer as well. The torque is supposed to be about 30 lb-ft on this bolt, but its enough to make it a pain to remove.

P.S.: Please use sentences in your posts. It makes it that much easier to understand you and offer help.

Good luck with the bolt :)

AccordEpicenter
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
have you tried a 6 pt socket? You might have to use those extractors...

88Accord-DX
10-06-2006, 08:40 PM
That extrator your going to get, hit it on pretty good with a hammer so it bites real good.

(edit) Sometimes you can hammer a 6 point socket on it to remove rounded bolts.

Tailfin
10-07-2006, 04:16 AM
If there's room to get it on there, there's a specific type of vice grip meant especially for rounded nuts/bolts. It's called a locking wrench. Looks like this:

http://images.hechinger.com/assets/images/product/visegrip-02--04--08.jpg

Wish they made a socket version...:rolleyes:

Fuzy Navel
10-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Ya i got it lose.. My grandpa and me took a chisel and turned it so where it would hit the big washer and not the bolt and just hit it a couple times and the bolt started spinning I was happy... lol Thanks for the help guys....

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
^^ I do that when the bolt is too far gone. Hit it with a air hammer & chisel on the bolt. Good call grandpa. :thumbup: