PDA

View Full Version : Turboaccord Update: The big day!!

AccordEpicenter
10-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Alright the car is 90% done, all i have left is to hook up the charge piping, fill the tranny with oil, install the turbo/manifold/lines and hook up the exhaust and put the crossmember back in. Then shes ready to be started for the first time!! Im stoked, the built engine took alot of time, effort and money. I will seriously cry if i blow this motor, or if it doesnt run faster than 12.0. So tomarrow at about 2-4pm shes gonna be running!! Ill get some pics/vids and get you guys updated if i have time. Shes got an upgraded turbo and alot of head/cam/intake upgrades so it should be much faster this year even on like 8psi to break it in, then comes obd1, dyno time, and big boost

sinisterfuzzy
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
im excited. can't wait to see it roll man. get some vid of you owning a Mustang GT or 2 while your at it.

mykwikcoupe
10-06-2006, 08:11 PM
do us a big favor and take alot of charge piping pics. Ive been debating a strong location for the IC and IC piping is pretty compact up front you know.

smufguy
10-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Its almost 8am now you have 6 hours buddy. Hehehehe, stuck at work and bored as hell, keep us posted about this progress man :)

speedpenguin
10-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Oh, man, I can't wait to see this.

mkymonkey
10-07-2006, 08:01 AM
lol....where are the vids and pics!!!! ass...how dare you keep us waiting lol

Hash_man_Se_i
10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
good luck... cant wait to see some pics and vid.

Cheeseburger
10-07-2006, 10:46 AM
http://board.accordtuner.com/images/smilies/postpics.gif

B16KILLA
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
http://board.accordtuner.com/images/smilies/postpics.gif

:stupid: BRING ON THE BEAST!! :rockon:

AccordEpicenter
10-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Ran into MAJOR issues, the car started up and ran with great oil pressure, got the temps up, everything looked/felt great. We took it out driving, the new turbo is working pretty good, but no WOT pulls, still breaking it in, 10 ish psi Only for a sec or 2), no big rippers. We were doing 50-75 pulls on the highway in 3rd, accelerate slowly to 75 then engine brake back down, but then it started to sound funny (felt a funny vibration we thought maybe was an axle) and the oil pressure was a little less so we checked the oil, looked ok, so we started our way back and by the time we got off our exit (15 miles on the motor) it went to a full blown bad knock. So we pulled it back to the house and rolled it in but it looks/sounds very bad at this point, thinking at least 1 or 2 spun rods but we have no freaking clue as to why. If it spun a bunch of mains as well im not sure if im gonna start over at this point, i might just part it out and give up. Its gonna get pulled apart tomarrow to see WTF happend. Im pretty upset at the car right now, everything was checked and spec'd out torqued and everything was checked and rechecked. Oil pressure was always on the decent side so we really arent sure what the problem is even though everything points to bottom end DEATH.

R.I.P. A20A3 #2

TWOLOUDNPROUD
10-07-2006, 11:02 PM
That SUCK's all that time and money Maybe the next round will be Better.

MessyHonda
10-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Ran into MAJOR issues, the car started up and ran with great oil pressure, got the temps up, everything looked/felt great. We took it out driving, the new turbo is working pretty good, but no WOT pulls, still breaking it in, 10 ish psi Only for a sec or 2), no big rippers. We were doing 50-75 pulls on the highway in 3rd, accelerate slowly to 75 then engine brake back down, but then it started to sound funny (felt a funny vibration we thought maybe was an axle) and the oil pressure was a little less so we checked the oil, looked ok, so we started our way back and by the time we got off our exit (15 miles on the motor) it went to a full blown bad knock. So we pulled it back to the house and rolled it in but it looks/sounds very bad at this point, thinking at least 1 or 2 spun rods but we have no freaking clue as to why. If it spun a bunch of mains as well im not sure if im gonna start over at this point, i might just part it out and give up. Its gonna get pulled apart tomarrow to see WTF happend. Im pretty upset at the car right now, everything was checked and spec'd out torqued and everything was checked and rechecked. Oil pressure was always on the decent side so we really arent sure what the problem is even though everything points to bottom end DEATH.

R.I.P. A20A3 #2

:crying: im with Tommy ....maybe next round.

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 06:51 AM
"nothing beats a trial like a failure." now it's time to beat that failure.

speedpenguin
10-08-2006, 06:57 AM
I don't even know what to say, man. You must be crushed right now.

mkymonkey
10-08-2006, 07:29 AM
wow that blows....this is why im so hesitant to start MY project...i know i would fucking cry if this shit happened to me lol

good luck bud

bobafett
10-08-2006, 07:59 AM
fuck man! i hope its something you can quickly address so you can get that thing back on the road. :( I am probably going to go WRX shopping in a month or so because I am too scared of something like that happening to my motor (though I am at 100-120 miles and still ok)....

good luck jason!

newaccorddriver
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
out of curiosity, did you try breaking in the motor with the turbo all setup and everything? im doing a turbo build right now, and i think its probably best to break in without turbo, and then go turbo, but thats just me.

dont give up on it though, we wouldnt get anywhere in lief if we kept giving up after every failure

military mase
10-08-2006, 11:25 AM
That's what i did with my motor ran the rebuiltmotor for about 700mi now. broke in the motor b4 i put on the turbo. That does suck though. I bet it's the rods with it knocking like that. That is not good. Hope you can fix it with no problem

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Update: Pulled the oil pan and it pretty much reinforced my first thought, there was LOTS of metal in the pan and the oil was dark grey with metal (worst case scenario) crank scraper was intact and looking ok. Nothing much in the oil pickup tube as far as debris. Pulled the rods and number 4 was spun to hell, bearing completely chewed away, nothing in the cap at all, the other 3 were beat and looked like they wanted to spin a little (stuck to the crank when i pulled the caps) so i checked the mains and they were scuffed but not spun so at least the block is good. Talked to the machinist today (top notch guy) says that he thinks the rods may have been overreved before, which would make the center of the caps spec ok but the sides very loose, possibly spinning bearings. The crank is most def destroyed beyond repair. At this point the motor is gonna have to be pulled, cleaned and new rods/crank at least. Hopefully the rest of the motor lived, but we havent pulled the head yet. Im probably gonna put the car in storage until next year and in the mean time buy more parts, then pull the motor in the spring and go for motor #3. Im thinking of another set of new crower I beams, maybe Eagle H beams, or maybe pauters, Post up comments guys. Pics will be on the way tonite.

Edit: You can break it in with boost but you have to have at least a known ok tune (mine was ok, nothing too agressive) plus you have to go easy on the car at first esp on boost. I was out of boost 99% of the time, and if i did boost it was at 1/4-1/2 throttle trying not to put too much of a load on the engine. You shouldnt go out and just do rippers on boost with a brand new motor, gotta go out and do gentle pulls.

bobafett
10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
what rods did you have in there? unknown stockers?

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2006, 12:23 PM
used set of crower I beams. LMAO unknown stockers...

gfrg88
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
used set of crower I beams. LMAO unknown stockers...

thats prolly where everything went wrong, you shouldve just spent the extra few bucks and gotten them brand spanking new.

oh well that sux that had to happen. well dont give up and hopefully the next engine will be a whole lot better. good luck.

89T
10-09-2006, 03:29 AM
sorry to hear about you'r misfortune...
I was pretty much in the same boat, ready to throw in the towel and say fuck it time to get a hatch..
I stared at the car for like 2 hours deciding what to do,and i figured it would be cheaper just to fix it then to start all over.

It seemed to fight me all the way problem after problem.
she is fnally running but yet another problem, valve knock.

she smokes until she is up to temp then clears up.

i have a spare head but i dont want to just throw it in, and i cant afford to build it right now so i guess thats the way it will have to be for a while.

what are you'r break in procedures?

I like to start the car and let it run for 10 min. shut off cool down
run it for 20 min. shut off cool down pull valve cover check for shavings check torque on head bolts and exhaust manifold.

run for another 20 min. cool
drive car normaly w/turbo never reving past 3500 rpm for 15-20 miles then cool. take a route that has plenty of hills.
then take it to 4000(rev to not hold at 4000) for another 15 or so then cool.
change oil and filter
run it like you stole it.
this the way my brother tought me...seems to work fine.

keep you'r head up, it will work out in the end...

Deadhead
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
shit... i'm sorry to hear that. I always look forward to vids and such from your car...

don't give up on it... you know you love that car.

or, you could always sell me the car :D

smufguy
10-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I am sorry to hear that Jason. I will defenitely find this the Machinist's fault, if it was the same guy who put it together. There is no reason why the problem identification happened after the motor blew. Hope next time goes well for you buddy.

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Lol, praveen, we put it together, not the machinist. The rods are the only thing that werent in the machinists' hands. Oh well, here are pics. What specific intercooler charge pipe pics where some of you asking for? oh well...
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown2.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown3.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown4.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown5.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown6.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown7.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown8.jpg
http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/blown9.jpg

RamThis
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Eww that makes my stomach turn a bit looking at that oil pan......

Sorry for the misfortunate first run. Hopefully you'll get it all sorted out and get to blast it soon. Dont put it in storage or you'll never get back to it!! Plus, the weather is getting nice out finally, perfect time to be working on your car :) :)

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
i put it in storage every year

speedpenguin
10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Good luk on the next try!

smufguy
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
wow thats a nice looking motor oil.

Oldblueaccord
10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Man that does suck.

Looking at your oil pan I like the baffle but Im not to hip onthe oil return for the turbo. I think your should have some kinda disfuser on it so it does froath up your oil alot.

I personal think thats one of the reasons for the mains going out in the first place is high oil temps and air in the oil which dont work and far as lubing anything.

wp