PDA

View Full Version : Okay I have a bogging and AT problem...

my89dx
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Okay heres the deal. This car is really starting to piss me off. Well when you put your foot about half way down it will bog/surge, then if you put your foot a little further down it will downshift. This morning it was doing great, downshifting without any hesitation and now its back. I am wondering if this might be the vac advance screwing up, or fuel pump/filters, or something else? I adjusted the timing a little to see if it would make it go away, but to to effect. Also something I noticed that I wish I hadn't is I think the automatic transmission might be letting go. Well sometimes when you are cruising and you slow down (like if someone is turning) and then you step back on it, its like the transmission gets confused and it will go all the way back to first gear and then finally get back to the correct gear. Keep in mind it will do this at freeway speeds too. Also I noticed a defined slip from it too and I know that there is plenty of fluid because I checked it. So does the transmission have something to do with all of this? I guess on the bright side is, if the transmission does go out, it will give me a reason to convert to a 5 speed. I have said it since I got it...I HATE THE AUTO. Any ideas people, this thing is pissing me off by the day. It didn't start the bogging until like a week ago and it also has a very slight mis-fire which might be the plugs, I am not sure. I havn't really checked it out yet, just want some ideas. I know the autos are a very picky transmission so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

A20A1
10-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Try adjusting the TV cable.

Also check the secondary vacuum and the booster venturies.

my89dx
10-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Would the TV cable be causing what I described? Also how to I check the booster venturies? The secondary vac is off of the advance on the dizzy right? I have adjusted the TV cable a few times, but I suppose the question would be, am I adjusting it right? How do you know when you do have it adjusted right? I have looked through a few posts and they say that you shouldn't have a lot of slack when you have it adjusted right, but the problem is when I do get it adjusted where its at that point, it shifts all f*cked up. Then I have to back it off A LOT where there is loads of play in the cable. I am not sure how to get it right. Any ideas? Could this be the hesitation/slipping problem that I am having? Thanks A20A1. Any more advice would definatly be helpful.

ilikevtecs
10-07-2006, 04:44 AM
my carb does the same thing except mine is a 5sp. When I go half way to the floor it seems like it shuts off the gas and almost dies than after it does that if I let slow down in a gear it'll back fire hardcore and shoot flames out or black smoke

shepherd79
10-07-2006, 06:12 AM
when you fell like your car is about to shut off, that means you are not getting enought fuel. replace your stock fuel pump with bigger aftermarket one.
also, check the vacuum diaphrams on the distributor. they break very easy. i am sure they don't hold the vacuum the they they should.

ilikevtecs
10-07-2006, 12:14 PM
when you fell like your car is about to shut off, that means you are not getting enought fuel. replace your stock fuel pump with bigger aftermarket one.
also, check the vacuum diaphrams on the distributor. they break very easy. i am sure they don't hold the vacuum the they they should.
Thats the weird thing though, it was dumping gas into my carb and then ignite the excess and thin out my oil. So I've been through one motor because of it given it had 250XXX miles on it. Replaced it with 139XXX now converting to fuel injection. Fudge carbs!

my89dx
10-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm just wondering if maybe the vac advance is screwing up? It doesn't do this all the time. When I bought it the previous owner said that he replaced the fuel pump and both filters. I had to replace the dizzy because it wouldn't start (bad control module) so I am wondering if maybe the dizzy is bad or something. It just wouldn't explain the tranny acting up like it does. Like I said if it goes out, I will be converting it over to a 5 speed because I really don't like the auto much. I find it more of a inconvience than anything else, besides then my wife can't drive it :) It seems to forget what gear its supposed to go into half the time, like when slowing down and then you step back on it. All this is going on along with the surging/bogging issue. I wonder if its either the vac advance or the transmission. Any ideas? It would almost be easier to swap it out then screw with trying to find out what the problem is. The only thing that conserns me is, it may not be the transmission and its getting progressively worse over time. Any ideas? I'm gonna go and check out a few things and Ill let you know what I uncover.

A20A1
10-08-2006, 04:36 PM
What about cleaning all the ground wires and battery connections.

Also vacuum leaks will cause some of what you described but the trans misshifting... check the TV cable.

You said you thinned out your oil? what weight are you running? Why are you dumping fuel down the carb. You never need to do that.

Have you checked the float level and fuel pressure (PSI)