PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise when braking

DanG86LX
08-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Lately, when I drive with the windows opened, I hear this thin cricket like sound from the passenger side of the car when braking. I said, must be the wear indicator so I bought front brake pads and today I wanted to install them. Guess what? The old pads are OK ~6mm and the wear indicator intact. I don't see what might be causing this sound? Could it be from the rear brake? :werd:

Another thing, I notice from service manual that beside the front pads there should be a pad shim there. There isn't any on my car! Is this pad shim important?

The cylinder boot is broken, I should replace it.:mad:

smufguy
09-01-2002, 10:48 AM
what do u mean pad shim? th two clips on the either side of the pads or a backing on the pad itself? and what do u mean by cylinder boot? and where?

DanG86LX
09-01-2002, 07:00 PM
From service manual (Helm) pics, the pad shim looks exactly like a pad backing and is installed on top of outside pad, sort of centering the caliper around the brake disc. If u asked I bet u don't have it either.
There is a rubber boot between piston and caliper cylinder, guess keeps the dirt out. Not sure where is attached to, the cylinder or piston? Never replaced one.

88WhiteLX-i
09-01-2002, 09:02 PM
The shims aren't really necessary, I left mine out because they were already broken and worn out. When I press my brakes and let off I can hear the front brakes click because there is that small amount of space that was suppose to be filled by the shim. And the boot that you are talking about is actually the boot that protects the caliper, mine was broken so I had to replace the whole damn caliper. But anyways, I drove around with a broken boot like that and it didn't really affect my braking, but I wouldn't suggest leaving it like that forever.

monsonhonda
09-02-2002, 06:59 AM
my car rndomly makes a sound coming from the front right wheel area when i am driving arround. when i say randomly, i mean once or twice a day and not above 30 mph. if i tap the brakes it stops but might come back a seccond later. if i use the brakes for a few secconds it goes away. what might this be.

peace

fussell

AZmike
09-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Check to see if your rotors are warped. Does the sound vary with speed: more frequent sounds at higher speeds?

DanG86LX
09-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Remember those Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)?
Look what I found:

Service Bulletin Number: 86-004 Bulletin Sequence Number: 005 Date of Bulletin: 03/86
NHTSA Item Number: 84261
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:DISC:PADS AND SHOES
Summary:
BRAKE NOISE CORRECTION-
FRONT BRAKES GRINDING OR MOANING SOUND WHEN BRAKES APPLIED AT LOW SPEEDS -
CORRECTIVE ACTION TO INSTALL A BRAKE NOISE CORRECTION PAD SET H/ C 2387132, P/N 45022-SEO-307-
ALL 1986 HONDA ACCORD MODELS

Service Bulletin Number: 87-013REV Bulletin Sequence Number: 014 Date of Bulletin: 06/88
NHTSA Item Number: SB001803
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:DISC:PADS AND SHOES
Summary:
FRONT BRAKES MAKE SQUEALING SOUND WHEN BRAKES APPLIED LIGHTLY-
INSTALL FRONT BRAKE PAD SHIM-
APPLY MOLYKOTE M77 THINLY AND EVENLY MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T CONTAMINATE FRICTION MATERIAL-
FRONT BRAKE PAD SHIM SET P/N 45011-SE0-000,H/C 2953685-
ALL 1986-1987 HONDA ACCORD AND 1985-1987 HONDA PRELUDE SI MODELS TLH

Service Bulletin Number: ASN 12616/3 Bulletin Sequence Number: 018 Date of Bulletin: 06/88
NHTSA Item Number: SB001809
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:SHOE:DISC BRAKE SYSTEM
Summary:
MORE LATE BRAKING NEWS CONCERNING FRONT BRAKES SQUEAL-
INSTALL NEW SHIM KIT-
KIT REDESIGNED INNER SHIMS PROVEN VERY EFFECTIVE AT ELIMINATING SQUEAL-
IF BRAKE NOISE RETURNS AFTER NEW SHIM KIT INSTALLED, OPTIONAL NON/ASBESTOS PADS-
ALL 1986-1987 HONDA ACCORD AND PRELUDE MODELS TLH

Looks like the shims help with squealing.. though not that effective.
That's not the noise I was complaining about. Mine was like a very fine pin touching the disc. Although after taking off the pads and cleaning them of burs, the noise seem to have disappeared.:werd:

POS carb
09-02-2002, 06:41 PM
mine used to make a muffled "chuckling" sound, my car is weird :stick:

monsonhonda
09-03-2002, 06:11 AM
yeah my car makes the stupid chuckling sound, at first i thought it was the bearings, but its definately the brakes.

peace

fussell