PDA

View Full Version : whats it take to have a 'type R'

mykwikcoupe
10-07-2006, 01:06 AM
So since im putting my b20a in and turbo can I actually have a type r? Im wondering because Im thinking of doing the brake upgrade and it just so happens the edm/jdm civic type r has the front calipers saying type r. If I put those on my acccord will it ne nicer or ricer? I wont go putting stickers and such. Maybe a type r accord badge on the back but thats about it

ZackieDarko
10-07-2006, 01:26 AM
no mike

A18A
10-07-2006, 02:04 AM
:rice:

smufguy
10-07-2006, 03:04 AM
if you do that, i will knock you unconcious and steal your motor. :)

speedpenguin
10-07-2006, 04:31 AM
The only way to make a Type R is to reproduce a Type R. Since there was no Accord Type R you can't do that.

So please don't.

mkymonkey
10-07-2006, 08:00 AM
doooooo it! fuck them lol

ESDEEZ
10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
doooooo it! fuck them lol

i agree oh and worship the following site www.redh.co.uk

MessyHonda
10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
keep it a sleeper....put like 1.8 carbed...lol

lostforawhile
10-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't think It would be rice,you actually did the performance upgrades,not just slapped a sticker on the car. rice would be having a factory motor with a big wing and a sticker. I say if it meets the parameters of a real type r honda theres nothing saying you couldn't create one. it's pretty common to create muscle cars with designations that didn't exist. the definition of a ricer is someone who copies the work of tuning shops without really doing any of the performance work,you actually did the work itself,therefore you wouldn't be a ricer. also a lot of eighties hondas had red inserts in the upholstery but they were designated s,that was before SEI

Legend_master
10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
The only way to make a Type R is to reproduce a Type R. Since there was no Accord Type R you can't do that.

So please don't.

ACtually there was an accord type R, jsut not a 3rd gen :) .

ACCORD TYPE R (http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/1999/nfrankl_accord.html)

newaccorddriver
10-07-2006, 03:02 PM

So please don't.

its all in the motor man. if it can make 100hp/L, then by all means, its a type R

Tomisimo
10-07-2006, 03:14 PM
You'l need two of those
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/17.gif
and one of this :)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Tomisimo/1850137_1_detail.jpg
then you wil have a propor Accord Type-R

Tomisimo
10-07-2006, 03:16 PM
its all in the motor man. if it can make 100hp/L, then by all means, its a type R

I Agre!!!
Lats make this a role

Steve_Si
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
But it needs to make 100hp/L without a turbo :P

That's a 6th gen european type R, it only manages 209hp from it's H22A. The best 6th gen version is the JDM Euro-R which has a 220HP H22A. My SiR-T makes 200HP from it's F20B :)

6th Gen Euro-R (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Honda/photos/a-62465962/p-26829827.htm)

The 7th Gen Euro-R, which is a JDM accord which looks just like one of your Acura models makes 220HP from a K20A :O 110hp/L!

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 03:36 PM
you need the Stickers to go on the sides too... THe typeR stickers, although I think DOHC iVTEC looks sexier...

mykwikcoupe
10-07-2006, 04:16 PM
well I was actually debating buying these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=280034805492&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

so if its not going to be a type r then why buy the cool stuff for it right

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey man I can't hate, I think im going to Red badge My New Si, they just loook so sweet and anyone that says thats rice can shove it and Race me...

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
did the jdm dc2 b18cr make 220 hp? if so, that's about 113 hp/liter right there. and i know that with just an aem intake alone, the rsx-s picks up damn near 20 horses. but we're talking about the b20a aren't we. you could probably still get near if not break the 200 mark and still have it streetable. keep in mind that all those other type-r engines (k20, b18, h22, f20b) all use vtec. so if you can get 100 hp/liter without vtec, then you're above type-r status.

bobafett
10-07-2006, 04:56 PM
i cant believe i am seeing this thread on 3geez. i want to unregister my account and never come back :( i am so ashamed of you guys.... rofl.

NO MIKE! NO!!!

come on buddy you are going to have a badass and fast 3g accord, don't fuck it up by faking a badge like all the ricer civic kids. let your 4gear burnouts do the talking. :D

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
i cant believe i am seeing this thread on 3geez. i want to unregister my account and never come back :( i am so ashamed of you guys.... rofl.

NO MIKE! NO!!!

come on buddy you are going to have a badass and fast 3g accord, don't fuck it up by faking a badge like all the ricer civic kids. let your 4gear burnouts do the talking. :D
rice or not, 100 hp/liter without vtec > 110 hp/liter with vtec. i mean, you can actually have the power in the powerband without having to rev like crazy if you do it right...

lostforawhile
10-07-2006, 05:12 PM

NO MIKE! NO!!!

the difference being though if he makes it a real type r and not just for looks the car will have the balls to back up the badges,not just the looks. building a real car that really meets the specs isn't rice. just having stickers and nothing to back them up,now thats rice. it's the dam ricer kids who have ruined the type r badge.

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah im going to be a ricer for real... Greddy Turbo My Si once I break in the Engine! Hell it already makes 197hp stock, I open that bitch up and its going to MOVE...

Hash_man_Se_i
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
i cant believe i am seeing this thread on 3geez. i want to unregister my account and never come back i am so ashamed of you guys.... rofl.

NO MIKE! NO!!!

come on buddy you are going to have a badass and fast 3g accord, don't fuck it up by faking a badge like all the ricer civic kids. let your 4gear burnouts do the talking.

I agree completely. I was kinda in awe when I saw this thread.

the difference being though if he makes it a real type r and not just for looks the car will have the balls to back up the badges,not just the looks. building a real car that really meets the specs isn't rice. just having stickers and nothing to back them up,now thats rice. it's the dam ricer kids who have ruined the type r badge.

Yes, but he's not making it a real type R... it may have the same kind of power, but its not from a naturally aspirated motor. The car probably doesnt handle like a type R, etc. There is a lot more to a type R (accord or teg) than just the HP figures.

lostforawhile
10-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah im going to be a ricer for real... Greddy Turbo My Si once I break in the Engine! Hell it already makes 197hp stock, I open that bitch up and its going to MOVE...yea but you can't be a ricer because you have a real performance car. if you were a ricer you would have a cheesy low power car with a fart can and a big wing and lots and lots of stickers.

A18A
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
wernt these "type R" cars made as type r from factory?

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 05:46 PM
yea but you can't be a ricer because you have a real performance car. if you were a ricer you would have a cheesy low power car with a fart can and a big wing and lots and lots of stickers.
lol thanks IM glad we cleared that up, I was worred for a min.... NO fart cans and only Factory wings for Me!

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
hmm...i've seen the k20-t powerplants. those things are some beasts. what numbers are you pushing to get out of it? post pix!

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 06:02 PM
well the Greddy kit is a 25% jump which is about 250, but some of the guys on 8th Civicdotcom are getting upwards of 280 Horsepower with a few other mods, and a hondata Reflash that fixes the Drive by Wire hang they were experiencing as well as unlocking a few horses in the software... its going to be quite fast...

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
get rid of the dbw if you can. and check out www.k20a.org if you haven't already. it's a great site for k-series info beyond the si. also, latest issue of import tuner, there's a fellow with 600+ whp out of an rsx-s. i'd say ditch the greddy idea unless you're doing it for smog legal purposes and piece your own kit.

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 06:13 PM
what would be the advantage of eliminating the Drive by Wire????

bobafett
10-07-2006, 06:22 PM
btw nobody here is making anything a type R.

type r is just like DX, LX, LX-i, SE-i, EX, EX-i... its just a mother fucking trim level.

except that we cannot swap out our parts to build a 'type r' accord because a type r 86-89 accord never existed.

now i agree that building a real performance car is not rice, but claiming that its a typer just because it makes 200+ hp is BULL SHIT. i give props to anyone on here who actually builds their cars for performance. if they happen to have a stupid fucking badge on their car, well, i will certainly call them on it, but hey there car still has the performance, and that hasnt changed.

IF, we were to swap interiors, headlights, trim peices, bumpers, brakes, wheels, wings, motors, trannies, .... etc etc etc with a type r civic, accord, nsx, integra, etc, then someone might have a 'type R conversion' but not a TYPE R.

think you guys, fucking think!!!! ok, it makes 100 hp/L (which is a BS fucking measurement anyway...btw) thats fine and dandy, but it DOESNT MAKE IT ANYTHING CLOSE TO A TYPE R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still cant believe people are considering this and trying to justify this BS! if you want to put on a type r badge, thats fine, but its bad judgement, and rice. if your car runs 12s, its cool either way. but the badge is worthless. and so is the name typeR. man now i am all worked up.

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 06:26 PM
what would be the advantage of eliminating the Drive by Wire????
better throttle response and the peace of mind that know if the electrical goes, you can still drive your car. idk, i'm not sure if there's any real performance gain. however, from my reading in various tuner magazines and over at k20a.org, it's looked to me like it's advantageous. i just don't remember how. and i heard it doesn't work with some programs like k-pro.

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 06:30 PM
in the end its just a red peice of plastic with a logo in it....

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 06:37 PM
btw nobody here is making anything a type R.

type r is just like DX, LX, LX-i, SE-i, EX, EX-i... its just a mother fucking trim level.

except that we cannot swap out our parts to build a 'type r' accord because a type r 86-89 accord never existed.

now i agree that building a real performance car is not rice, but claiming that its a typer just because it makes 200+ hp is BULL SHIT. i give props to anyone on here who actually builds their cars for performance. if they happen to have a stupid fucking badge on their car, well, i will certainly call them on it, but hey there car still has the performance, and that hasnt changed.

IF, we were to swap interiors, headlights, trim peices, bumpers, brakes, wheels, wings, motors, trannies, .... etc etc etc with a type r civic, accord, nsx, integra, etc, then someone might have a 'type R conversion' but not a TYPE R.

think you guys, fucking think!!!! ok, it makes 100 hp/L (which is a BS fucking measurement anyway...btw) thats fine and dandy, but it DOESNT MAKE IT ANYTHING CLOSE TO A TYPE R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still cant believe people are considering this and trying to justify this BS! if you want to put on a type r badge, thats fine, but its bad judgement, and rice. if your car runs 12s, its cool either way. but the badge is worthless. and so is the name typeR. man now i am all worked up.

well if you step back for a minute, the type-r is a more performance-oriented model of an otherwise economical vehicle. and the type-r is generally designed more along the lines of racing than the regular models. so if someone has done the same to their accord (worked their engine over some (not just bolting on i/h/e), upgraded suspension, braking, etc.) then i think they can drive around with type-r stickers if they want. if they don't that, they can still drive around with type-r stickers. and to tell the truth, the type-r in our car would probably be the dx with the a20a3 since the type-r (especially the first itr) was a factory-gutted car with a powerful engine.

but really, i don't care. i'll never stick one on my car, even if it makes wonderful power and handles like a dream and stops on a dime. but if you want to on a dx with a failing auto tranny, be my guest. i'll even sell you one (no, i don't have any type-r stickers right now, though).

TWOLOUDNPROUD
10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/pic4318.jpg

88Accord-DX
10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Type_R

ChaseR
10-07-2006, 06:56 PM
lol the sign is at Ali Al Saleem Airbase in Kuwait, I have seen it first hand.. Although it looked a little different..

88Accord-DX
10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Accord Type R
Not to be confused with the Accord Euro R.

The Honda Accord SiR 1993-1996 was the first of all the racing spec Honda Accords (chassis code cd7) this model offered a JDM spec h22a as its power source.

The Honda Accord SiR-T was produced in 1997 primarily in competition to "next-generation" competitor sports models, such as the Subaru Impreza Turbo/WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. These models were significantly larger than previous performance sports coupes, and thus Honda created the Euro R Accord.

The Honda Accord type R was produced from 1999 – 2002 with a naturally aspirated h22a that produced 212 bhp / 158 KW @ 7200 rpm, in addition to the standard Type R modifications - Recaro seats, a limited-slip-differential, independent suspension, etc.

Due to the Accord's original older target audience, public opinion of the Accord Type R has been at times sketchy. However, media and enthusiast reviews continued to give Honda high regard for this Type R model.

In 2003, a new Euro R was introduced in Asia. The CL7 chassis Euro R comes equipped with a 220 bhp K20A variant, similar to the one used in the DC5 Integra Type R. The (Acura TSX) is actually one and same with the Honda accord Type-S which is not so different from the Honda accord Euro-R except for the motor, the “R” upgrades and the chassis code of CD9, the accord Type-S is being sold in European countries and Japan

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Type R Honda automobile models are special performance editions of their respective model families.

The design of Type R ("R" for "racing") models was originally focused mainly on race conditions, with an emphasis on minimizing weight, and maximizing performance potential (e.g. engine tuning, suspension set-up, etc).
so technically speaking, the closest we have to a type-r could be the f1? or would it be a dx-i with rear disks? (damnit, too bad honda never produced that!)

88Accord-DX
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Type R Honda automobile models are special performance editions of their respective model families.

The design of Type R ("R" for "racing") models was originally focused mainly on race conditions, with an emphasis on minimizing weight, and maximizing performance potential (e.g. engine tuning, suspension set-up, etc). Thus, Type R models were first conceived for little less than racetracks. However, due to Honda's increased focus on their highly regarded VTEC engines, the Type R was eventually designed for a much wider market.

The reason why the Type R's traditionally have a red Honda badge and Championship White as an option is to relate to their first F1 winning car, which also had a red Honda badge and Championship White. Honda's racing cars and F1 cars often or all the time contain a red Honda badge.

snoopyloopy
10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
might as well add that quote to the op. then let the people decide for themselves.

mykwikcoupe
10-07-2006, 07:39 PM
The car probably doesnt handle like a type R, etc. There is a lot more to a type R (accord or teg) than just the HP figures.[/QUOTE]
My car definatly handles better than nay type r. i can auantee this. custom konis, sprint springs and alot of scale dyno time. I can ride my car on rails without any power with the a20a. i cant wait to see hwat itll be like with the turbo motor

88Accord-DX
10-07-2006, 07:47 PM
If you don't have a H22 in it, there is no way of calling it a Type R ...

Just messing with you Myke..

Legend_master
10-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I believe all the type R's have the sound deadening removed to lighten them up. Racing seats, no sunroof and other various lightweight parts.

speedpenguin
10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
It's not a Type R, it can't be converted to one because there was never one made in the same generation. Why bother switching around trim levels or making your own anyway? Your car is your car. That's all it needs to be. I think putting Type R stickers on where they don't belong will detract from the impression of the car.

Tomisimo
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
so technically speaking, the closest we have to a type-r could be the f1? or would it be a dx-i with rear disks? (damnit, too bad honda never produced that!)

No such thing... mi EXi is no diferend from your a20a. I just dont have the flippups headlights thats all, and do have disks back. can show you a pictuare if you wont. alldou i have A20a4 under the hood.

Mi seqsaction is to wride to Homda INC it self and ask them whut they think

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
No such thing... mi EXi is no diferend from your a20a. I just dont have the flippups headlights thats all, and do have disks back. can show you a pictuare if you wont. alldou i have A20a4 under the hood.
Mi seqsaction is to wride to Homda INC it self and ask them whut they think
yeah, and i'm going to go and rephrase my statement and say that if a type-r 3g accord was produced, it would probably actually have a b20a, not a20. i wasn't thinking very well when i wrote that.

lostforawhile
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
on this same subject wouldn't a carbed accord with all the other options except fuel injection be an S model? thats what honda used to call them before fuel injection. they had all the options available but fuel injection wasn't available yet and they all had red inserts in the upholstery. I know i had one of the 83 civic s models, it was a red car with black interior and red inserts and it still had manual windows and manual steering. It also had rear disks. I've never seen another one like it since.

Cheeseburger
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
do it.