PDA

View Full Version : H22 motor or turbocharger

89ACCORD-LXI
10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
ok this has been a topic about my little car.What all kind of stuff will I need to do the swap or should I just turbo my A20?Im wanting to do one of the options but my friends want my to buy a H22 block and built it up and go ahead and turbo the H22..what will I come out better doing?Now keep in mind I was born into the car world a nissan guy so im still learning about hondas.So if you have any smart replies just please keep em to yourselves please and thank you

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
how deep are your pockets? you can get an turbo a20 putting out pretty good numbers, maybe even damn near 300 whp. and all that on ~$4000. with $4000, you'd be really hard-pressed to even have an h22 swapped in unless you do all the wiring and mount work yourself. then you still have to get it built for turbo and all. so it all goes back to my original question. and the answer to your question rests on your answer to mine.

SovietSuperSoldier
10-08-2006, 09:55 PM
B20 turbo!!!! Fuck H22 turbo. You can get 300 whp with a B20 turbo'd. Just check out Tonybaker12 on streetfire or something. That beast is amazing. And he's pushing 400whp!!!!

89ACCORD-LXI
10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
whats the B20 in?or what about just a B18 in there?

SovietSuperSoldier
10-08-2006, 10:02 PM
whats the B20 in?or what about just a B18 in there?

Oh jeeze:omg: How long have you owned your car or even been on here?
The B20a or B20a5 is in the 1988-1991 Honda Prelude.

MessyHonda
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM

thoes dont fit our car...only the JDM b20a fit...it also fits the 2nd gen lude....but they are rare...i think i have only seen like 2 H22 on a 3gee....the b18 is a popular engine but you have to get the mounts and the axles so it can bolt right in.

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 10:16 PM
don't listen to this man. he obviously is a newbie himself. yes, there is a b20a/b20a5 in the 1988-1991 prelude. however, it is NOT the same b20a found in the 2g prelude/3g accord [1984-1987 prelude/1986 (1985 in japan)-1989 accord]. therefore, if you go to your jy and pull a b20a5 and expect to put it in your accord, you'll run into tons of problems. if you want a proper b20a, source one from japan, new zeland, europe, or just about anywhere that they came from. or if you're really lucky, someone on the board will be selling one. be careful when sourcing one, though. because the 3g prelude b20a has the same exact engine code as the 2g prelude/3g accord b20a. look in the b20a section of the engine swaps section of this forum for more info.
there's also a b18a motor that bolts into our accords. it is NOT the b18a from the 1990-2001 integra. it came from the 2g lude/3g accord as well. and they are even harder to find than a b20a. so again, it all depends on the timeframe you want your project done and how deep your pockets are.

SovietSuperSoldier
10-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Then your best bet is the H23. Great torque. And a perfect motor to turbo. It would be worth it. I still say the B20 will fit though....

SovietSuperSoldier
10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
don't listen to this man. he obviously is a newbie himself. yes, there is a b20a/b20a5 in the 1988-1991 prelude. however, it is NOT the same b20a found in the 2g prelude/3g accord [1984-1987 prelude/1986 (1985 in japan)-1989 accord]. therefore, if you go to your jy and pull a b20a5 and expect to put it in your accord, you'll run into tons of problems. if you want a proper b20a, source one from japan, new zeland, europe, or just about anywhere that they came from. or if you're really lucky, someone on the board will be selling one. be careful when sourcing one, though. because the 3g prelude b20a has the same exact engine code as the 2g prelude/3g accord b20a. look in the b20a section of the engine swaps section of this forum for more info.
there's also a b18a motor that bolts into our accords. it is NOT the b18a from the 1990-2001 integra. it came from the 2g lude/3g accord as well. and they are even harder to find than a b20a. so again, it all depends on the timeframe you want your project done and how deep your pockets are.

Newb my ass! I have done a turbo and engine swaps, so I actually know what Im talking about. Unlike you.

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Then your best bet is the H23. Great torque. And a perfect motor to turbo. It would be worth it. I still say the B20 will fit though....
3g lude b20a will not fit (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86)

MessyHonda
10-08-2006, 10:20 PM

good luck with that buddy....if you can fit one into your beater....you will earn all the trust from me.:deal:

SovietSuperSoldier
10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
ok this has been a topic about my little car.What all kind of stuff will I need to do the swap or should I just turbo my A20?Im wanting to do one of the options but my friends want my to buy a H22 block and built it up and go ahead and turbo the H22..what will I come out better doing?Now keep in mind I was born into the car world a nissan guy so im still learning about hondas.So if you have any smart replies just please keep em to yourselves please and thank you

OK look, you want serious power? Then your going to have to change motors. That A series motor is no good. H series or B series is where the power is. And adding the turbo will make it much faster. If you are willing to throw tons of money then anything is possible. But listening to a bunch of guys who MAYBE put out 200 whp on a good day is kinda ridiculous. You can get a H23 for pretty cheap and shove that in and the rest is easy as pie.

snoopyloopy
10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
if money is of no problem to you, you might as well do a k-series instead. people are getting into the upper 200 range with just bolt-ons and a little head work. and when you turbo those things, the power is amazing. k24 bottom end + type-r head is like an ls/vtec on steroids.

newaccorddriver
10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
OK look, you want serious power? Then your going to have to change motors. That A series motor is no good. H series or B series is where the power is. And adding the turbo will make it much faster. If you are willing to throw tons of money then anything is possible. But listening to a bunch of guys who MAYBE put out 200 whp on a good day is kinda ridiculous. You can get a H23 for pretty cheap and shove that in and the rest is easy as pie.

you dont know the first thing about fabricating mounts to put an H series or a B series engine in our cars. those mounts alone would run you probably around 1k for just the mounts, and thats assuming you find a shop thats willing to take such a job. the axles would most likely have to either be custom made, or you would have to mix and match axles to get the correct length, and thats pretty hard and expensive as well. the wiring part, thats gonna cost you about $800 just to get a shop to do it right. an H series engine is a waste of time unless your willing to dump 5-10k into whats basically a beater car.

good luck finding a set of B series motor mounts for sale along with the axles, youll be looking at over 1k for those considering the company which makes them no longer exist, and not many people own a set of those things anyways. fabricating those would also take a long ass time to do and alot of money to go with it.

are you sure we put out 200WHP on a good day? once im done, ill be putting down close to 300WHP, and thats MORE then my friends H22 turbo prelude. and i havent even gotten custom forged pistons for my engine yet. you dont know jack about an A series motor so you should just stay quiet until youve researched it a little. an H series engine IS capable of putting down an insane amount of power BUT, that comes at an insane cost as well. building it up would cost alot more then turboing an A series, and on top of that, you dont want more then 250ish WHP for a daily driver anyways

ZackieDarko
10-09-2006, 03:54 AM
LAWL SovietSuperSoldier is an uber tard

A18A
10-09-2006, 04:06 AM
LAWL SovietSuperSoldier is an uber tard
hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Legend_master
10-09-2006, 04:55 AM

Ok I noticed you seem to think you are a motor swap god. Since you have done one, but that is only part of it. Not every car is easy to do a swap on or even has the options to do it. As for the A20 not being a good power plant. That is why the the fastes single cam in cananda is a20 right (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1540419)? Quit flamming people and saying that stuff for your prelude is the same forour accord. The b20 from the 3rd gen prelude leans back in the engine bay, our engies sit upright like the b-series.

P.S. The answer to the question asked in the thread is, IMO you should do a rebuilt turbo a20.

mkymonkey
10-09-2006, 08:35 AM
just build up the a20 and turbo the shit.

bobafett
10-09-2006, 09:07 AM
yeah buddy do a little research on jason budd (like what legend master linked to)! ..... he is opting to run an A20 over any of the other motors that could bolt in to his civic! so much for the glamorous aftermarket ridden prelude b20 rofl

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
a20 is a tougher engine than an H22, and dollar for dollar youll be faster with the A20 then the H22, with all the shit youll need to do to get the H22 to fit, it is a bit easier to make power with the H22 but there are a handful of 10 sec a20s out there. Dont forget, if youre going for big power on an H series motor, the block probably should be sleeved (thats like $1000 right there) If you wanted to go with an engine swap to start with, id say that a B series fits in an accord easier, plus you dont have to mess with the shift cables and engine compartment mods that and h22 requires. The only thing i dont like about the A20 is that you cant get an lsd. The A series engine and B series adapter plate/trans combo seems to be working for jason budd though.

Edit: You can be in the 13s on street tires in a stock A20 on a T3 turbo thats well set up, mine was a mid-high 12 sec car with slicks before i started having bearing issues... Try that with just an H22a swap

ICEMAN707
10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
If someone wouldn't charge $800 just for a custom turbo manifold, I think alot of us here would go the turbo route. But for $800 you can get a CRV B20Z and use the rest of your money building up the cyl. walls to handle boost or VTEC head or both. If you think it's costly to put that engine in the 3gee, sell the 3gee and get an EG/EJ Civic shell that could probably be had for $400. You can even get an older CRX or pre-92 Civic if you wanna go cheaper since they make b-series mounts for those too. Drop that built B20Z motor in and you're in business. But definitely, for the 3gee, turbo is the cost effective choice since a swap would be more costly. A port/polish job, oversize valves, mild cam, b-series intake mani, forged rods and pistons, balanced/knife edged crank....amongst other things. The A20 can make big power, just gotta build it up from its econo-engine state.

gfrg88
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
If someone wouldn't charge $800 just for a custom turbo manifold, I think alot of us here would go the turbo route. But for $800 you can get a CRV B20Z and use the rest of your money building up the cyl. walls to handle boost or VTEC head or both. If you think it's costly to put that engine in the 3gee, sell the 3gee and get an EG/EJ Civic shell that could probably be had for $400. You can even get an older CRX or pre-92 Civic if you wanna go cheaper since they make b-series mounts for those too. Drop that built B20Z motor in and you're in business. But definitely, for the 3gee, turbo is the cost effective choice since a swap would be more costly. A port/polish job, oversize valves, mild cam, b-series intake mani, forged rods and pistons, balanced/knife edged crank....amongst other things. The A20 can make big power, just gotta build it up from its econo-engine state.

who the hell makes turbo manifolds for $800?!? ive seen people on here that go turbo and spend about maybe $200ish for a simple log mani. im gonna order my parts for my mani pretty soon. it should be about 150ish ready to bolt right on :D

mkymonkey
10-09-2006, 02:19 PM
remember that one site that makes those ram horn mani's?

i think thats what he's talking about?

snoopyloopy
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM
you mean this manifold (http://www.evolution-racing.com/store/exmanifold.htm)?

mkymonkey
10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
yeah that one

military mase
10-09-2006, 03:08 PM
That place that had made a mani for our car which was custom charged over 800 bucks. It used to be less when it was in the test faze and it wasn't on the market and he was selling it out of his shop. The only problem i had with it was the access to get to the plugs.

Versanick
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
turbo an a20 with any turbo, an ic, bigger injectors, and either go obd1 and get it tuned (i'd get Crome and go to INnovative Tuning or some other reputable place) or just get an SAFC and run like 350cc ish injectors

W A Y cheaper than your h22 project will be. I promise. you'll do all taht W A Y under $4000. with 4 grand, you could have your a20 make retarded power. i'm talking 2 grand.

newaccorddriver
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Edit: You can be in the 13s on street tires in a stock A20 on a T3 turbo thats well set up, mine was a mid-high 12 sec car with slicks before i started having bearing issues... Try that with just an H22a swap

what kind of engine management were you using when you made those runs? just an SAFC/BTM?

Steve_Si
10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
How about a DOHC F20B? Pretty much a de-stroked type S H22A. 200HP stock (from a manual car, 180HP from a tiptronic) and I've read that they don't need to be sleeved. With 11:1 compression it ain't turbo friendly though.

TBH the H22A, F20B etc are a bit overrated.

cubert
10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
ZackieDarko....FTW :lol:
Anyway..if you want to stick with the accord...stick with the A20...besides...SOHC turbo=cool shit :thumbup:

89ACCORD-LXI
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
alright i reckon I'll just keep the A20 then and turbo it....my buddy has a T3/T4 turbo for $75...it came off his delsol...

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure, but on the H22. Don't it have an aluminum block? I would think it does. <don't keep up with the specs on it>

Hash_man_Se_i
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
T3/T4 would work well on an a20, and for that price I'd nab that up fast as long as its in good shape.

The a20 can make quite a bit of power even with a fairly simple setup. IMO, convert to OBD1 (run crome or uberdata), get a good manifold built, upgrade your fuel and ignition system, get a good clutch and you'll be set.

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
lol yeah, was making excellent power on the msd btm and safc. Both will be for sale shortly, im going to obd1, its much better esp for big power

newaccorddriver
10-09-2006, 08:38 PM
TBH the H22A, F20B etc are a bit overrated.

i always liked the underdog... the most commonly turbocharged honda engines are IMO the most boring ones. i guess that leaves us with the A series then, does it?

snoopyloopy
10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
i always liked the underdog... the most commonly turbocharged honda engines are IMO the most boring ones. i guess that leaves us with the A series then, does it?
that or the old ass cvcc engines. :lol:

I'm not sure, but on the H22. Don't it have an aluminum block? I would think it does. <don't keep up with the specs on it>
yeah, it's aluminum. if i'm not mistaken, the a-series was actually the last iron block engines that honda made.

newaccorddriver
10-09-2006, 09:16 PM
the a-series was actually the last iron block engines that honda made.

4G F series FTW(correct me if im wrong though)

MessyHonda
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
4G F series FTW(correct me if im wrong though)

nope he is right A serries was the last one to use an iron block but the head is aluminum.

ZackieDarko
10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
mmmmmm iron