PDA

View Full Version : installing engine

custom
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
i wnt to replace my original engine because of the miles and low compression. well, i dont have a cherry picker and all i want to know is it still posible to take the engine out piece by piece. intake, head, tranamission etc. and place the new block with pistions, crank, etc. in the engine compartment that way? this is my first time replacing the engine.

MessyHonda
10-09-2006, 10:06 AM
i wnt to replace my original engine because of the miles and low compression. well, i dont have a cherry picker and all i want to know is it still posible to take the engine out piece by piece. intake, head, tranamission etc. and place the new block with pistions, crank, etc. in the engine compartment that way? this is my first time replacing the engine.

that would take too much time....see if you can borrow one from a mechanic or something.

military mase
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah i would try barrowing or renting a cherry picker. To much of a hassle to do it piece by piece. One shot and your done. ... I see your from NC?? Where at?? I live in Fayetteville.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Ya definately rent or borrow a cherry picker, you'll only need it for one day. Just strip out all the other stuff before hand, and then get a cherry picker, and its super easy to do.

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Beleive it or not, if you remove enough off the engine with it jacked up high enough, it will come out the bottom. Need a floor jack to remove the tranny first, then lower the engine out. (haven't tried it, just know it can be done) Sure both can come out as an assembly.

Renting a cherry picker is the way to go. I seen guys on here buy them for close to a bill. I think Picopop just got one from Harbor freight for close to a bill, not sure what shipping is though.

newaccorddriver
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I seen guys on here buy them for close to a bill. I think Picopop just got one from Harbor freight for close to a bill, not sure what shipping is though.

consider those guys lucky... i paid over $250 for mine, the harbor freight type place we got here AKA princess auto wants like $300 or so for one... i thought their stuff was cheap, but the insanely expensive shop was actually the cheapest

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Nevermind, was engine stand, not a cherry picker. oops

Even still. The cheapest on ebay is about 2 bills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2-TON-ENGINE-HOIST-CHERRY-PICKER-SHOP-CRANE-FOLDING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63697QQihZ006QQ itemZ160037318211QQrdZ1

custom
10-09-2006, 09:18 PM
fayetteville is like two hours from here. the engine i want to install has to be cleaned and i want to clean the head of the pistons and get the head cleaned also. my car is running so slow. like i went from 11.2 at 62-63mph on 1/8mile track and the car had 183,800+ miles to 12 and 13 at 56mph. with 200,000+miles. i reaced a prelude with the same mods but i had better custom made quality parts and he was running 10.5+ at 67-68mph. with restored compression to normal standards how fast should i be going and making on the 8th?

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I think these guys turn around 13's on 1/4 mile track from reading post off here.

military mase
10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
uhhhh... 2 hours away??/ What city??? It be nice to know what 3geers are near by to help each other out that's all.

A20A1
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I would agree with dropping the engine instead of picking it out.

If I had a level surface I would have done mine that way. Get jacks that can lift the car high enough, and jack stands that will ensure the car can't slam back down...

reverse the car and put the rear of the car on ramps and lock the rear wheels, that way when you jack up the front of the car you don't dig the trunk into the ground.

Remove the needed suspension parts to pull the axles out.

A20A1
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I would sell you my cherry picker but it'll cost more to ship it air freight then it does to buy one close buy. I've never weighed it but I'm sure it'll be a lot. Most bulk items like that are shipped in big containers via the sea. So it'll take months to reach you if I go the cheap route.