PDA

View Full Version : Eyes burning, almost passed out.

WindsAloft989
10-09-2006, 03:36 PM
So my car was doing fine in New England, and I drove it down to FL a month ago. It was a long trip.... she is a 1988 Accord DX .... 5 spd with 198,000 miles.

The other day I drove her to work and noticed I felt funny and my eyes were burning. Haha.

A few days later I let it idle outside while I was munching a sandwich, and when I came outside noticed faint SMOKE rising out of the manual shifter boot, which is slightly torn. I leaned in for a sniff .... BURRRN! Ouch my eyes burned. It is a terrible smell... I'm pretty sure its not oil... I know that smell.
This smell is almost like clutch but I'm not really sure...

Anyways, I am not sure what this smoke is.... could it be a symptom of a clutch problem? I used to drive the car a lot but now it sits ALOT because I let my girlfriend drive me around in her newer car. Could rust form on the flywheel and when I let it idle in neutral for a while do you think it made the smoke?

Could it be as simple as an exhaust leak? I opened the hood and saw some smoke rising rather rapidly from the back of the compartment - against the firewall.... but the cloud was so broad I couldnt locate its origin.

I replaced flexpipe to the back of the Cat about 3 months ago .... and the Cat - Muffler was replaced a year ago .... so I really hope its not another exhaust problem!

I know I'll probably have to jack it up and look , but I wondered if anyone had any ideas about this ....

Josh

ChaseR
10-09-2006, 03:52 PM
well you would smell if it was a clutch... That smells like burning brakes... Probobly an exhuast issue esp. if you eyes are burning..

cygnus x-1
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a piece of plastic or rubber is touching the exhaust system and burning.

C|

88forlife
10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
man shit like that willhappan trustme

88Accord-DX
10-09-2006, 07:09 PM
You might have a exhaust leak from the sounds of it.

When you jack your car up, from a cold start, feel up around the header from the head to the cat. (mostly around flanges) While your down there, look for any oil leaking on the exhaust too.

lostforawhile
10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
if the smoke is coming from near the firewall,I would say your oil pan gasket is leaking,or your oil filter base is leaking. the oil pan is self explanatory,the other has a wierd shaped O ring between the piece that holds the oil filter,and the block. it's right over the exaust pipe on the back of the engine,so it will leak straight down on to the pipe. it's pretty easy to fix,remove the oil filter,the sending unit,then it bolts to the block. or it could be the oil filter itself. smells from the clutch wouldn't come from the shifter boot,the shift rod goes up into the engine compartment. I say you have an oil leak or something caught on the manifold.

ghettogeddy
10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
could also be a plastic bag ive had that happen before just a plane old grocery (sp) bag

MessyHonda
10-09-2006, 09:13 PM
could also be a plastic bag ive had that happen before just a plane old grocery (sp) bag

lol when i was coming home some dummy threw a paper out his car and then it got stuck on my bumper cuz i didnt see it on my rear view....when i got out of the car to check on it was molded to the bumper....i just started lauging and kicked it out.