PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed maybe

MECM
10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Well I am getting tired of my automatic downright sucks big time. Always slipping not switching gears and its an auto :) . So today I told my dad about my dear hate and he said if I got a donor car with a 5-speed he would help me do the swap. So I am really thinking about it now. He wanted me to get a 5-speed with a blown motor or no motor and just swap my motor into the new one but I am not for that I can't just leave my hatch to be sold so we will be doing the swap. What do you guys think? or not doesn't really matter since this is really off-topic I guess. :)

ZackieDarko
10-09-2006, 10:10 PM
you will love the 5spd it really is the only way to go

snoopyloopy
10-09-2006, 10:17 PM
sounds good. i'm gonna do a 5-speed swap soon myself for the same reason you are. i'm tired of the damn thing slipping, especially early in the morning when it's cold. either that or it just plan shifts too early.

MECM
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah there is no control I hate it especially when I am driving on the highway and it won't shift it just revs like it is in neutral GOD DAMNIT. I swear to god that is the only real thing I hate about the car. Nothing else. You should have heard me today "SHIFT SHIFT SHIFT YOU STUPID PIECE OF $HIT!" :)

cruznthastrip
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
I just found this trans (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-Accord-5-Speed-Transmission-Manual_W0QQitemZ130034942658QQihZ003QQcategoryZ337 33QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on ebay. Its $10+140 s/h but it also has 153,000 miles on it. But then again mine just hit 280,000 and it's doing fine. As for the actually swap, I have no idea about how to go about dong it. I heard dropping the whole subframe is pretty common for front wheel drives.

Pico
10-10-2006, 03:31 AM
I know how you feel :D Thats the reason I went and picked up a donor car just for the 5 speed swap.
Hope you get it done soon and have fun :thumbup:

russiankid
10-10-2006, 03:50 AM
5-speeds rule, if the 3g im going to drive would be auto i wouldnt want to drive it, but its a 5-speed:rockon:

A18A
10-10-2006, 04:12 AM
ahh i wouldnt mind if my car was auto, that way 1 foot for the brake and the other foot to hold the car at idle :)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-10-2006, 04:51 AM
ahh i wouldnt mind if my car was auto, that way 1 foot for the brake and the other foot to hold the car at idle :)

You could always use the heel-toe position and actuate both the brake and the throttle with one foot. :)

snoopyloopy
10-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Yeah there is no control I hate it especially when I am driving on the highway and it won't shift it just revs like it is in neutral GOD DAMNIT. I swear to god that is the only real thing I hate about the car. Nothing else. You should have heard me today "SHIFT SHIFT SHIFT YOU STUPID PIECE OF $HIT!" :)
yeah, i really hate that. like it'll not shift until it's warm so i sound like i'm trying to race. then when it does shift, it shifts straight from second to fourth. and when it's shifting "normally," it revs to redline inbetween each gear.:rant:

I just found this trans (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-Accord-5-Speed-Transmission-Manual_W0QQitemZ130034942658QQihZ003QQcategoryZ337 33QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on ebay. Its $10+140 s/h but it also has 153,000 miles on it. But then again mine just hit 280,000 and it's doing fine. As for the actually swap, I have no idea about how to go about dong it. I heard dropping the whole subframe is pretty common for front wheel drives.
i hope you don't plan to actually buy that. it won't even come close to bolting into your car or to your engine. and there goes $150 you would have wasted.

MessyHonda
10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
i sport both...i have a dx that is auto and my Lx-i that is manual....i dont like the dx cuz it does not have alot of power...i bet if it was fuel injected it would be more fun....on my lx-i that thing rips off the line hard.....i like doing 3rd gear pulls on the freeway.....sometimes you can pick up a rear ened car for cheap and then you can do the swap since you knoe they are not selling it cuz of mechanical problems.

snoopyloopy
10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
i would pick up a car like that, but there's absolutely no room at my place to store any more vehicles. our garage is full of shit, our driveway sports the van my dad uses as a truck, the other side of the driveway is where he parks his car, my mom parks her van on the street, i park my car on the street (but right now, in the driveway of the people who moved out :D), and my eclipse is sitting in the grass waiting for me to get off my ass and get the ecu fixed. so my dad will not allow me to buy another vehicle because there's just no where to put it. and he and my mom are starting to think i'm putting too much money into cars...

Tomisimo
10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
man you need one of those... sport transmition http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=27443

MECM
10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
man you need one of those... sport transmition http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=27443

Not building a show car here. :) . and all it has is different synchros. No high performance hear I don't want to kick the $hit out of the civics at school just give them hope that they were only a car length behind. lol. Me and my daydreams.:huh:

reanimator420
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
damn that is expensive and not called for

MECM
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
damn that is expensive and not called for

Did I come across as rude? Sorry if I did.

MessyHonda
10-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Did I come across as rude? Sorry if I did.

he is right why do we want a shinny trany and we cant see it....and oil and dirt is going to get on it

MECM
10-11-2006, 10:02 PM
he is right why do we want a shinny trany and we cant see it....and oil and dirt is going to get on it

It's for the ladys they like the shiny things that cost a bunch. :)