PDA

View Full Version : simple turbo project for giggles.

Vector
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
i am well aware of what is needed to do a a20/turbo build.

but i'm going to do this with what i have access to. i have done abit of searching around the net but i still have some q's.

1. i dont want to spend the $$$ for boost retard, so can i just retard the cam gear 1 tooth to prevent detonation?

2. can i use a basic dual stage adjustable fr instead of a fmu(unless they are resonable then i will get one)?

3. will a fuel pump from a corvette w/efi 427 v8 provide enough flow(brand new for 50 bucks!)?

4. the port that the map sensor plugs into on top of the intake manifold, is it the same as vacuum or is it diferent?

5. ^^^ what would happen if i move the map sensor to before the turbo to prevent a diferent reading to the ecu and thrown into limp mode?

i plan on using the stock manifold with an adapter that i will make. so i will probably make it with a bend and try to make use of that space inbetween the rad and the engine. i will be using an intercooler, so far i have a choice between volvo and dodge cars for turbo w/intercooler. i'm going to spend sometime at the yard looking for a turbo with the least amount of shaft play and internal wastegate. i will probably end up making my own bov (throttle & clutch controlled).

this project is meant to be simple and cheap, i have 2 a20's, one of which i'm rebuilding for boost. and the one in the car now i'm going to boost for the hell of it(314000k) tested 160psi accross, leak down test within 10psi @ 90psi.
my injectors were reflowed and serviced, injector guy tells me that they are now good for almost 270cc @ 45 psi (i think thats what he siad).

flame away.:violin:

snoopyloopy
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
this fmic is about as cheap as they come if you're gonna use a front mount:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-27X6X2-5-ECLIPSE-GST-GSX_W0QQitemZ300035734231QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33602Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vector
10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
this fmic is about as cheap as they come if you're gonna use a front mount:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-27X6X2-5-ECLIPSE-GST-GSX_W0QQitemZ300035734231QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33602Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i think i will grab one of those on my next check lol. thanks dude.

i've checked out prices on turbos and shit on there as well, there are reasonable ones. i'm going to start with jy stuff first, once i get it running, then i will move up to better stuff as the funds become more stable.

i noticed in your sig you have 4g tb. i assume its off a f22, is it noticably bigger, how much work did that take?

snoopyloopy
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
to get it off the 4g, was about 10 minutes. to put it on my 3g, that's yet to be determined. it's in the "coming soon" section of my sig, lol. it's sitting in my garage, as are the other things on that part of the list.

AccordEpicenter
10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Retarding the cam will make it run like shit. You need somthing like an MSD BTM part 5462 or 6BTM for that, and at least an SAFC and 390cc injectors . An fmu or any kind of dual stage fuel regulator will simply not be adequate for running boost. That chevy EFI fuel pump should work for boost. The stock pump is good to about 200whp then id upgrade. You cant halfass on managemant, thats what is gonna make or break your engine

Vector
10-11-2006, 07:13 AM
to get it off the 4g, was about 10 minutes. to put it on my 3g, that's yet to be determined. it's in the "coming soon" section of my sig, lol. it's sitting in my garage, as are the other things on that part of the list.

oh, ok maybe i will pick one up and play with it:).

Retarding the cam will make it run like shit. You need somthing like an MSD BTM part 5462 or 6BTM for that, and at least an SAFC and 390cc injectors . An fmu or any kind of dual stage fuel regulator will simply not be adequate for running boost. That chevy EFI fuel pump should work for boost. The stock pump is good to about 200whp then id upgrade. You cant halfass on managemant, thats what is gonna make or break your engine

yes indeed it will run like shit, but will it make it not explode?, my car already runs like shit since i put the triflow 2.5 cam in. about the fuel pump, thats good to know as thats less one thing i will need right away. the bigger injectors shouldnt be a problem, i will just go talk to the injector guy. i'm sure he will have somthing kickin around. for the fuel management, i dont know what i'm going to do there. just wing it i guess.

i am not taking the car off the road for this project, it will probably take huge amounts of time to tune tho. i dont want to run 10 psi, just 4-6 or maaaaaybe 7. i want to stay safe, since the car is used for autocross so it will take a beating once, twice a week. i do drive it to work every now and then.

AccordEpicenter
10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
just remember, the managemant or lack thereof is gonna determine wether the engine lives or dies. I think there have been a few engine deaths at like 7 or 8psi boost (FMU). I was rockin 13psi and have hit 17psi but i had much better management, its all in the tune. I ran static retard timing (like 8-10 degrees at idle and that kept the car running but it ran like complete garbage compared to the BTM set to .7 degree per lb retard with 15 degrees timing at idle. I cant imagine running less than an safc on any boosted honda, and i absolutely would NOT reccomend an FMU. Justin, Adam and i think a couple other guys have blown motors with them. Also, if your engine already runs like shit, do you think a turbo is gonna help it? Id only say its ok to run boost on a stock honda if the engine is internally sound to begin with (good compression, no major oil consumption etc, no smoke)

Vector
10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
alittle smoke does come out when i bounce it off the rev limiter, other than that it feels strong. as far as oil consumption goes, i dont believe it uses any, besides what apears to be alittle blue when i run it to the limiter. compression seems ok on it i think 160 psi accross.
i know the head probably needs to be done soon.

injector guy seems to think my injectors will be fine for boost, just need to manage them.

shepherd79
10-11-2006, 01:13 PM
i don't know what the injector guy told you, but our injectors flow 240. may be if you raise the pressure but i don't think it will do much.
160psi across the cylinders, i say start the rebuild. You may be fine for a little while but sooner or later that motor will go south.

snoopyloopy
10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
didn't you say you have a spare motor? just make sure you get farther ahead on building that one than you are with turboing the one in the car so that when the one in the car goes, the other one is already finished and ready to drop in.

Vector
10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
didn't you say you have a spare motor? just make sure you get farther ahead on building that one than you are with turboing the one in the car so that when the one in the car goes, the other one is already finished and ready to drop in.

yep, thats the idea. i'm not going to change it as long as this one is running. i will tho if it doesnt die soon enough :D. only time i will be shit kicking it is when i'm running autox.

snoopyloopy
10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
oh, well, make sure you get well along on your building project so you don't get stranded for too long. and do the fuel and management and stuff better when you put in the new engine.

87preludeA20A3
10-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Well this whole just put a turbo in stuff doesn't happen. Every time i think i am ready i read mopre and learn more new shit that will make my engine last longer. My turbo project is running on like 6 months and going(turbo not in car yet). Ok and stupid question but what exactly does FMU stand for... Fuel Management ? You have alot of management stuff to get so that your engine wont die prematurely and all that crap cost $$$$.

snoopyloopy
10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
i'm going to give a gander and to with "fuel management unit."

87preludeA20A3
10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah thought that but you can never be sure.... I'm always asking gay questions. But you know what they say "there's never a dumb question".

AccordEpicenter
10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
its a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. It makes your fuel pressure rise dramatically, proportionate to the amount of boost youre running. Its hard on injectors and fuel pumps and its just plain unacceptable to use on a turbo honda , you need real managemant. I would NEVER use the stock 240cc injectors on a boosted honda either. Id run at least 390cc... You cant halfass your managmant or youre gonna be replacing engines sooner than you think.

Vector
10-12-2006, 07:01 AM
alright, i guess i'm going to start sourcing the management side of it, it will take my longer since i have to find the electronics first, but like you say, better safe than sorry.