PDA

View Full Version : 3geez Garage

thegreatdane
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Am I the only one who's thinking it could need some drastic improvements?

I'm thinking of the amount of pictures, and the size of the pictures. The limit of 1024x768 is somewhat ok I guess but when you open the pictures in the garage they are tiny, like 600 some pixels... That's just not big enough. And 6 pictures is way too few pics, especially if you'd like to show some progress pics as well.

Seing as how imageshack is now hosting our attachments, wouldnt it be fine to allow for more images in the garage hosted on 3geez own server?

lostforawhile
10-11-2006, 01:31 PM
why not set it up so you can post a link along with your pictures? that way it could link to your homepage or something like an imagestation album where you could post all the pictures you want,along with comments and explanations. I use lycos myself with an index page then it links to all my pictures

mkymonkey
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
lol..yeah and since we DO pay for it it would be nice to get some more space. or maybe for the ones that have the year membership or something

frantik
10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
yeah and since we DO pay for it
well technically i thought the money was a donation ;)

would be cool if we could have more/bigger pix though

mkymonkey
10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
whatever...same difference. lol

MessyHonda
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
well technically i thought the money was a donation ;)

would be cool if we could have more/bigger pix though

yeah...maybe 3geez should change the provider that gives you more storage and bandwidth.

87accordlxi
10-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Increasing the auto-resize dimensions to 800x600 and bumping up the total number of pics to 8 would not create a significant impact on disk space. I am still working to determing the potential impact on bandwidth, however.

A18A
10-12-2006, 06:40 AM
how much bandwidth does this site use every month??

87accordlxi
10-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Roughly 30gb, give or take.

lostforawhile
10-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I still like the idea of having links to your homepage on the garage,then if someone wants to know more about the car,they can just click on it. post your best pics here,then the rest on your site.

87accordlxi
10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I still like the idea of having links to your homepage on the garage,then if someone wants to know more about the car,they can just click on it. post your best pics here,then the rest on your site.
Well, editing your Garage entry works exactly like a post on the board. Which means you can add links to it. I have links in mine.

It also means you can add pictures to your description just like you can add pics to a post. So feel free to add thumbnailed Imageshack pictures (or wherever you host pics) to them. I do ask that you use thumbnails because the garage descriptions are not full-page width like the forum posts are, so large images will screw up the display and I'll probably delete them in that case. Because of that, I'll leave the max number of uploaded images at 6, and I also believe that's the number we set it at with the previous version of 3geez Garage.

That said, I see no reason not to bump the size of the images you can upload to our server to 800x600, which I have already done earlier today. You'll have to delete your existing images and reupload them for the system to resize them at 800x600.

frantik
10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
nm.. i'll send pm - pls delete

thegreatdane
10-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks for listening, we made a little progress at least.
So if I want to attach pics in the text that's not hosted by imageshack, then is it possible to write somekind of code in the [img] tags that will resize the picture to a thumbnail?

frantik
10-13-2006, 05:50 AM
to get a thumbnail from your image shack hosted file, just change the link from filename.jpg to filename.th.jpg and add a link to the original pic... like this:

[ url=filename.jpg] [ img]filename.th.jpg[/img][/url]