PDA

View Full Version : wtf no wiring harness?

jetlag
10-12-2006, 07:22 AM
i bought an 89 accord lxi and i was replacing the prior owners head unit, when i got it out there was no wiring harness, so i tried to wire everything using some instructions i found online and nothing, the cd player doesnt even get power to it, so i need some advice on what to do because no system sucks when i got EVERYTHING needed for one, thanks for the help

A18A
10-12-2006, 07:29 AM
was there even a plug with a few wires comming out of it anywere in there? or even just reach around inside the dash area? if you dont feel a plug, you feel any cut wires or something? just reach around the drivers side area, if there is none at all, you might have better luck wiring it all up again, but if your going for big sound, its best to wire it all up again. as for power, does your ciggy lighter work? if so you can just wire the power wire of the stereo to the power of the ciggy lighter, they run off the same fuse i think so it should be safe

MessyHonda
10-12-2006, 07:29 AM
do you think they cut the old one?

PortugalFocus
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
so you have no wiring comin off of the main harness correct?

If not get some speaker cable and run it to the appropriate speakers. Next step is ground out the black cable, somewhere on the chasis. The yellow is constant hot to feed the preset stations and clock and such then the red is the hot turn on.

It's really pretty easy.

jetlag
10-12-2006, 07:36 AM
wow those replies were quick, i'll try some of that just as soon as i get this hose fixed

jetlag
10-12-2006, 07:47 AM
went back and checked, no wiring harness, the guy cut it off

A18A
10-12-2006, 07:56 AM
does the ciggy lighter work? or the clock? if so, you can wire the main power to the ciggy lighter, and wire the memory one of the head unit to the yellow wire comming from the clock (i think its the yellow one) which will be a bit ghetto, but if its done properly, then outta site, outta mind :) the clock wires go around the glove box area

o and also :welcome: :) ;)

jetlag
10-12-2006, 08:06 AM
i was wondering if i go to a junk yard and just get the wiring harness there and wire the correct colors, would it work, is there a way to test the wires to see if they are getting power at all
?

MessyHonda
10-12-2006, 08:14 AM
i was wondering if i go to a junk yard and just get the wiring harness there and wire the correct colors, would it work, is there a way to test the wires to see if they are getting power at all
?

yeah go pick up a harness at the junkyard...you should only have 2 wires that get power that is the memory one....and the ignition after you moved the key. you also have a ground wire. the rest are for speakers so they wont get any power unless your have a stereo.

A18A
10-12-2006, 08:14 AM
well, theres a 99.99999% chance they will be good, unless they are burnt or something, but if you do get a junk yard one, make sure the interior have all the same options as yours, like heater controls, glove box light, cruise control or whatever :)

jetlag
10-12-2006, 08:17 AM
i know about the two power wires, i connected those and no power, this is bugging me, this isnt the first time ive done this

A18A
10-12-2006, 08:25 AM
what did you connect them to? in the car, the only red one i know of has a black stripe on it and thats the dimmer for the lights

jetlag
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
the red wire is he power wire from the pioneer wire plug in that plugs into the head unit, and a yellow and black. i used a help doc at installdr.com, nothing, i dont think power is getting to the wire

MessyHonda
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
the red wire is he power wire from the pioneer wire plug in that plugs into the head unit, and a yellow and black. i used a help doc at installdr.com, nothing, i dont think power is getting to the wire

check the fuse under the dash and the fuse under in the engine bay.

jetlag
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
lol that totally slipped my mind, the radio project is on the back burner for now, since my engine hoses keep breaking