PDA

View Full Version : Headlight leak (H4 converted)

AC439
10-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi...I have converted my old sealbeams to H4 diamond (which I bought in Ebay) headlights with relay and new wirings. There is some water condensation today after it rained. I've heard that we need to seal it or make a cover to prevent water from getting in. I'd like to get some more details as to where to seal and what to use to seal it. Also when the lights are off, will water be able to get in through the light bulb opening?

I am also thinking I may need to change the lights again. The ebay people sold me the British version of the light. The up throw of the light is to the left instead of the right. When I asked them, they don't know what they are doing (selling) and replied with BS.

Thanks.
-AC

Listen2myBASS
10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
i bought some too, with the little city lights? lol, ive left one on there cuz the other side doesnt have to framework, and its been in the up position and its rained about 12 times maybe, really really bad i might add...and no cond. yet? i ve heard that happens...but havent see it yet...

ghettogeddy
10-12-2006, 05:35 PM
ive had mine for a while havent seen any build up yet are they the chepo housings or like hella/autopal's u might want to put some of that sticky back weather striping around the part the light goes in it might stop it

Jasonf860
10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
The first few weeks I had my H4 conversions it rained like crazy. I had massive condensation inside mine. I noticed that they tend to leak where the bulb mounts, and also, if yours are like mine and have a small "vent" hole near the top of the housing on the back, they leak there too. Since these were not really designed for fold down applications, That little vent has a "hood" over it that actually holds the water there and channels it inside. I ground the hoods off of mine and also used some of that dielectric grease to seal up around the black rubber boot that goes over the bulb before the wiring. I have not had an issue since, but I do leave mine up when I know there is going to be heavy rains.

frantik
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
if you'll notice, the end of the hood is right over the center of the bulb.. water drips off the hood right onto the gasget and drips down the side into the casing.

I used a crapload of electrical tape to seal mine and it worked fine.. sold it before i ever had to replace a bulb but it prolly wont be fun for the new owner when he has to replace one lol

i paid $20 for my ebay ones and that was too much lol.. just get some sealed beams unless you're gonna go for the real h4 casings like hella or autopal

88Accord-DX
10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Try some silicone around the rubber gasket as a last resort.

AC439
10-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys for suggestions. I think the ebay h4 lights sucks, especially the beam pattern. Anyway, since I have bought them and they are brighter than the stock seal beam, I'm gonna to keep them and try to seal them and see how that works.

shepherd79
10-15-2006, 04:55 AM
the first time in bought H4 convertion headlights they leaked like no other.
So i ended up buying second pair from another, well, i am not sure what they were but the light beam was all screw up and again it leaked like crazy SOB.
So i desided to give it another try. this time i searched the ebay and i found the ones without daytime running light and it had DOT stamp. I bought them and ever since they never leak, or get moisture.

some people seal them, some people make cover for them. I tried cover and it worked.

AC439
10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
I worked on the light today. I figured out the leak is from the hood drip directly into the bulb's housing that inturn leak inside the light. So, I taped the connector like crazy (I changed the connector due to new wiring), making sure no electrical exposure whatsover then use aluminum foil to make a cover over the connector and the 3" rubber boot, then put cable tie around it to secure in place. I think there should be no more water coming into the light this way. Anyway, time will tell. I decided to use aluminum for the cover because it will not be melted by heat from the bulb (if any) and it can conform to any shape I need.

The ebay light sucks. They are cheap but very poor built. I used a little alcohol to try to clean the water mark inside the reflector after taking the bulb out. After a few rubs, the silver coated reflecting material was rubbed off ! Also the beam pattern sucks. I should have just put a pair of silverstar instead.