PDA

View Full Version : ECU code check FAQ stinks

Sparrow
10-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Got your attention, good. The instructions suck on the how to check ecu codes.

Maybe I'm missing something, and maybe I'm to used to checking Ford codes. You know there are never a shortage of ford ecu codes.

Things I need answered. What if you have multiple codes? Is it possible to display them? What if my o2 sensor is bad and my egr is bad? What differentiates the flashes? Is there a get ready to read light? A everything is A okay light?

Right now my led flashes continuosly with the same pauses. I stopped counting at 100 flashes. Then I looked and saw that the codes only go up to 17. So waht does this mean. So what gives.

Like I say, possible this is to simple for me to understand. Ford has all these pauses and breaks to differeciate, and different flashes for each digit of the number. For instance code 93 is nine flashes pause then three flashes, then long pause then next code.

What is the flash for zero?

By the way so you know what I'm working on it is a 1988 LXi coupe from So. Cal. that does not appear to have Cal. emitions at all. I have a 1989 LXi engine in it. Car is and always has been a 5 spd. Engine uses the Tec distributor. I am still using the 88 computer.

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

shepherd79
10-14-2006, 10:44 AM
well first, you are not reading codes right.
second, one code can be displayed at a time. So read one code. fix the problem. reset ecu and if you get check engine light, read another one.
third, there are not ready, or OK light.
if your engine is running like it should, the light will stay turned off.
Fourth, flash for zero, there are no zeros. you count how many times it blinks. 12, 14 or 17 or what ever, before it goes into a little pause. after that it will repeat itself.
It is easy as hell.

PS. There is nothing wrong with HOW to on code reading, many people used it and it worked for them.

carotman
10-15-2006, 08:27 PM
In fact, the ECU can display all the codes at the same time, one after the other.

It will flash rapidly then, pause, then reflash, then pause.

If you can't see the "pause" maybe that's because you have code #1 and it only flashes 1 time before doing that pause.

If you want to differenciate things, remove the IACV plug, this way you'll have 2 codes and you'll be able to differenciate them.

Sparrow
10-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Okay both of you have explained a lot about honda codes that was not apparrent to me by reading the FAQ.

More questions. Are the codes stored in continuous memory or are they self test codes? I assume they must be continuous memory codes. Meaning that if the check engine light only pops on for two minutes on monday then is off the rest of the week, the code that caused the CEL will be recorded and displayed later in the week on Saturday when I check them.

If the problem is resolved do the codes clear themselves after a certain number of driving cycles with out the problem?

Why is the "code" 00 Flash(s) ECU listed on the FAQ page?

As stated there is no flash for zero so how can it exist(this is not some philosophical bs arguement)?

If code 00 does exist then does it mean your ECU is fried or what?

I think I must have a code 01 being displayed and that leads to my confusion. Also I often have the problem of over thinking things and ignoring common sense. But look at it from my point of veiw. I read the FAQ, then go down to the car. Turn the key on. Look through the window at the LED and all I see is a continuous flash, each light is exactly the same pause time apart from all others. So, I count. The light never stops, same pause, same flash length, for all I know, until the battery dies. If you read the codes and get only a code 01 the first time I think it is confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

carotman
10-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah I'm sure you have code 1.

I'll re-check the Codes FAQ. You're the only one that mentions it being unclear but that doesn't mean it's clear :D

Thanks.