PDA

View Full Version : what auto tranmissions work with an 89 lxi

stocklxi
10-14-2006, 01:09 PM
having auto transmission problems, and i need to know if there are any other options besides the 86-89 accord auto transmissions that will fit without modification.

ChaseR
10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Only the 5 Speed will fit other than a Auto replacement, however the 5spd will require minor changes...

stocklxi
10-14-2006, 01:41 PM
for example?

shepherd79
10-14-2006, 01:45 PM
well, for 5 speed you will need a few things, and you can read it here.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102

ChaseR
10-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Shifter, Clutch Cable, Pedals, Clutch disc, Pressure plate, throwout bearing... many other things, there is a how-to in here somwhere, I've never had an auto So I couldn't tell you for sure off the top of My head. A lot of people on here have completed an Auto - 5spd swap though..

MessyHonda
10-14-2006, 03:45 PM
if you dont want to spend money just flush the tranny fluid and replace it and add a bottle of trany adative.

stocklxi
10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
if you dont want to spend money just flush the tranny fluid and replace it and add a bottle of trany adative.
i did that, and i discovered that my trans doesnt shift into 3rd gear, ill put it in d3 and itll shift from 1st to 2nd and then it wont shift anymore afterwards. in d4 i have to rev 2nd up to about 5k after it slips where it would normally shift to 3rd, in order to shift to 4th.

MessyHonda
10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
i did that, and i discovered that my trans doesnt shift into 3rd gear, ill put it in d3 and itll shift from 1st to 2nd and then it wont shift anymore afterwards. in d4 i have to rev 2nd up to about 5k after it slips where it would normally shift to 3rd, in order to shift to 4th.

yup sounds like you need a new trany...maybe you can convert to manual.

2oodoor
10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
the 89 auto trans is the best one, it is improved over the earlier. slippage is not good at all that means its close to major damage, but it sounded like you had a cable out of adjustment to begin with.
changing the fluid is a 20 dollar gamble just make sure the car is on level ground when you check the levels.

See how to for cable adjustment, throttle cable and shifter adjustment cable are very important. Does the 3 gear light come on while its slippin?
throttle cable on the 89 should go from the gas pedal directly to lever on transmisssion,,, Im not talking about the throttle cable to the throttle.. lol