PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil level question

russiankid
10-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I changed my oil today, i put in Mobile One 5000, with a Mobile One oil filter. Everything works fine. Now i checked the oil and it seems that the oil level is about 1mm above the second hole. Now this bothers me a bit, but is it ok? Will it harm the engine? Since there is an oil leak(not bad leak) i think that amount should leak out in 2 weeks.

Ichiban
10-14-2006, 02:59 PM
It should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless you had like 2 extra litres of oil in it.

russiankid
10-14-2006, 03:07 PM
It should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless you had like 2 extra litres of oil in it.Well my brother said that i must have atleast have a liter in there, which i took a measuring cup and used water to see how much it was, and there is no way i have that much extra.

HondaBoy
10-14-2006, 03:09 PM
if your that worried drain out just a bit of oil and you should be fine. maybe like 1/4 of a quart. but i dont think you went that far over.

russiankid
10-14-2006, 03:10 PM
if your that worried drain out just a bit of oil and you should be fine. maybe like 1/4 of a quart. but i dont think you went that far over.I'll just leave it, i drove it around for about an hour and a half, and it was running smoothly with no signs of anything going wrong.

HondaBoy
10-14-2006, 03:12 PM
yeah, like i said i dont think you went too far over how much you can put in there. now if you put a whole quart over what is required i'd be worried about too much pressure build up.

russiankid
10-14-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah, like i said i dont think you went too far over how much you can put in there. now if you put a whole quart over what is required i'd be worried about too much pressure build up.Well i put around 3.5 qaurts. Plus me driving it around for an hr would have built up to much pressure wouldnt it? I mean if it was to much.

lostforawhile
10-14-2006, 03:48 PM
if you put too much in there the crank can whip up the oil by aerating it. then you lose oil pressure. this is why you put non detengent oil in lawn mower engines. they use an oil slinger and it would turn regular oil into foam. same principle with the crank whipping it up. also sometimes too much can cause some of it to overload the liquid vapor seperator for the pcv system causing drops of oil to be sucked into the intake from the pcv valve.

MessyHonda
10-14-2006, 04:15 PM
i say just leave it....i put a lil bit extra cuz my oil pan gasket leakes.

russiankid
10-14-2006, 04:19 PM
My oil pan gasket aslo leaks, so im guessing it'll leak out.

russiankid
10-14-2006, 04:19 PM
if you put too much in there the crank can whip up the oil by aerating it. then you lose oil pressure. this is why you put non detengent oil in lawn mower engines. they use an oil slinger and it would turn regular oil into foam. same principle with the crank whipping it up. also sometimes too much can cause some of it to overload the liquid vapor seperator for the pcv system causing drops of oil to be sucked into the intake from the pcv valve.Well the oil seems fine, what are some syptoms of the engine having to much oil while running?

Oldblueaccord
10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
You can take the oil filter back off and dump some oil out there if you need too. I think if you were over full it could try to pump out the dipstick tube,pvc etc. With the oil pan off I checked you can put 5 quarts without it hitting the windage tray under the crank.

As far as too much pressure I find that a little hard to believe since the oil pan just is a resivor and should have anything to do with pump pressure unless its very low and sucking air.

wp

russiankid
10-14-2006, 05:00 PM
i just showed my dad the oil level(he knows engines) and he said dont even sweat it thats fine. So thanks for all the helps guys i appreciate it.

gp02a0083
10-14-2006, 05:01 PM
well not to mention that after u change the oil i put it at least up to the second hold b/c the filter has to suck up some oil when it gets saturated, what lost is trying to say is exactly right too much can cause it to foam , also it looses HP alot of chevy ford and BOP (buick , oldsmobile, and pontiac) use a crank"scraper" or whats also called a windage tray, i dunno if they make these for our cars

russiankid
10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
well not to mention that after u change the oil i put it at least up to the second hold b/c the filter has to suck up some oil when it gets saturated, what lost is trying to say is exactly right too much can cause it to foam , also it looses HP alot of chevy ford and BOP (buick , oldsmobile, and pontiac) use a crank"scraper" or whats also called a windage tray, i dunno if they make these for our carsI didnt notice any HP lose, so im guessing it's fine.

88Accord-DX
10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I was at work & seen this chic that kept putting water in her radiator. Well, she finally brought her car in, the level of oil was up to the top of the dipstick way past the marks. (like 3-4 inches past) Well, she had a lower intake gasket leak on this 01' Impala. Luckily she didn't blow out anything else..

I don't think anything past 3/8" is critical, past that I would.

MessyHonda
10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
i went out to go check my oil....and my damn Engine burns alot of oil or i have a leak....my oil lever was below the first hole on the dipstick....i think its cuz i swtiched over to systetic....il have to go back to the regular stuff...

Oldblueaccord
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
some syns burn for some reason might have to go back to regular joe stuff.

As a note too when you change your oil and filter fill the filter up with oil as well so you dont dry start your car every time it helps. Half filled it wont spill if you can spin it on real quick.

wp

shepherd79
10-16-2006, 06:48 AM
our engines don't like synthetic oil, unless you build the engine and use it from the start.

AC439
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
I just figured out that last time I had oil level about 1/4" about the top hold the oil leak from the front crank seal. I overfilled by accident and oil leak started. I changed my oil and filter a week ago and keep the oil level at the top hole and put in a bottle of Golden eagle stop leak and the leak stopped immediately. When I drained the old oil, it appeared to have quite some bubbles and an odd smell so I think overfill is definitely not a good idea. I rather under fill it a little bit then add oil slowly to bring to the full mark. Learn a lesson myself.

MessyHonda
10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
our engines don't like synthetic oil, unless you build the engine and use it from the start.

yeah my engine has 50k on it tho....like i said im going back to the regular stuff cuz syntetic cost too much...plus i didnt feel anything when i changed to the syn oil....im going to pick up a oil filter so i can change it ASAP

lostforawhile
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
some syns burn for some reason might have to go back to regular joe stuff.
As a note too when you change your oil and filter fill the filter up with oil as well so you dont dry start your car every time it helps. Half filled it wont spill if you can spin it on real quick.
wpI wouln't use full synthetic unless it's a new motor,even then you have to run regular oil through it through the break in period. helps the rings seat. synthetic is so slippery nothing will break in. I run syntec blend,have had really good luck with it.

well not to mention that after u change the oil i put it at least up to the second hold b/c the filter has to suck up some oil when it gets saturated, what lost is trying to say is exactly right too much can cause it to foam , also it looses HP alot of chevy ford and BOP (buick , oldsmobile, and pontiac) use a crank"scraper" or whats also called a windage tray, i dunno if they make these for our cars there is a thread on here somewhere about a company that makes both a crank scraper and a windage tray for our cars.

88Accord-DX
11-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Not critical untill past 3/8 to 1/2 inch.