PDA

View Full Version : What got you started modding your car?

Jasonf860
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
It all had to start somewhere, for some reason. I'm curious to know what or why it started. I know I started all because I had busted front springs so i had to change them. Since then I'm like addicted to doing stuff to the car... this site just added fuel to the fire!

newaccorddriver
10-15-2006, 05:08 PM
elijah messaged me saying he was the only turbo 3g accord in canada when i first joined this site shortly after i got my car, i set out to change that... righ now im buying elijahs car

snoopyloopy
10-15-2006, 05:24 PM
i originally wanted to sell it and buy a 4g civic/crx because of the ease of parts available for them, but now, i'm liking the accord more and more and am glad that i didn't. instead, i figured i'd make my car as fast or faster than a civic could or would be, and look better too. well on the way, at the moment. i really got into the modding (or at least seriously thinking about it) after i saw this site and all the shit that was available.

2oodoor
10-15-2006, 05:33 PM
It all had to start somewhere, for some reason. I'm curious to know what or why it started. I know I started all because I had busted front springs so i had to change them. Since then I'm like addicted to doing stuff to the car... this site just added fuel to the fire!
yes Jason I think your on to something, an addiction sound about right. Why the hell do I keep sinking money into this beautiful hunk of shit car that needs a tin man driver cause it spits oil out like baby drewl. The forum is full of dreamers who never finish their cars and just sit inside the house on the computer and talk about things they will never be able to afford to do or spend the money and dont install any of it. Tell me Im wrong... tell me dammit. if im lyin im dyin boys.....

One the other hand there are some real go getters and really smart techs on here that know there shit and what shit they dont know they go scoop it up and share some of it. Much kudos and respect to those who created the how tos, and IMPORTANT threads, the moderators.

I just have an obsession with my accord and keep on with it, but Im never gonna spray it, or turbo it, just make it a nice ride and try to keep it as reliable as possible and stop all the dam leaks, there are so many around here in the yards and really clean ones are few and far between, and what is up with all the gold, platinum cars.. that is always the best kept cars for some reason..<MODS, header, weber that needs a diff idle jet kit, it dont like going slow now, and a cool sounding exhaust that I cant seem to get right, now mine sounds like a 9N Ford tractor up until 3K then it has the sound I want.Other that that, wheels and maybe rear disc, coilovers, Im building a poor mans beamer I rectum. I also,modded the car so I can spot things wrong with a glance cause I know the car inside and out, her as before it was a maze of vacuum lines and unknowns. Actually it is a simple car to work on now, basically, But it is freaky how much my 94 civic looks the same but its FI , the floorpan looks the same size and all that .... Ok me go shut up now...

MessyHonda
10-15-2006, 05:42 PM
well my mother got the 88honda dx brand new. so i have grown up with this car. after i checked out this website...it got me into moding my car since we have lots of stuff that we can do....then my car broke down....i always wanted a more reliable car...but i wanted to stay honda...so i got a LX-i 5 speed and i love that car...it pulls so much harder....i have droped like 1.5k into mods that are not even on the car. im just waiting to get the car fixed and see how it runs for now.

frantik
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
3geez made me wanna start modding my car.. but it wasn't until i got my lxi that i really did anyting major

Jasonf860
10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I agree, Mine leaks oil everywhere! Hopefully gonna change that next weekend cause a big leak is the front main seal and when I do the cam, i'm changing the timing belt and seal as well. I finally got it to stop leaking coolant. I change one hose, 3 weeks later another lets go finally they are all changed along w/the pump so no more leaks. I'd love to do the Weber swap, but I am hesitant to spend the $$ on one. Same goes for the header... Ah well, we'll just have to see how far it goes before I get tired of doing stuff to it. roodoo, i'd love to see a pic of your sc2 rear spoiler. i was at the yard yesterday and saw one almost the same color as my car and thought about it but decided not to grab it.

MessyHonda
10-15-2006, 05:57 PM
The forum is full of dreamers who never finish their cars and just sit inside the house on the computer and talk about things they will never be able to afford to do or spend the money and dont install any of it. Tell me Im wrong... tell me dammit. if im lyin im dyin boys.....

well like i said i have lots of stuff on my house that im waiting to put on....so many things that i cant even list them off....well i got time so let me try

Teg 90-93 red CAI
pacesetter headers 4-2-1
NGK v-power plugs
4g map sensor
Custom Short Shifter with poly bushings
Magnaflow high flow cat
2.25in magnaflow muffler
Falken tires 512 195/60/15
DC front strut bar
Tokico struts
Justins bars
SE-i rear disk conversion
SE-i SS brake lines
OEM foglight switch
4g spoiler
Sylvania Silverstar lights
Clear bumper lights
Teg Lip

oh yeah i just bought elijahs b16 mani with 70mm TB...im not sure if i want to put it on since we have to smog in this state.

i will put on the stuff as soon at my engine is running at 100% i dont want to put the stuff and then find out i will need to rebuild the engine.

Gemini2003
10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
What started me?

Well...I know that I can remember the first thing I had to fix on my baby and it was the upper rad hose.

but...

As for my own addiction to modding... I always loved modding any car i'm driving... and I've always been one to fix my own car so that's not it... I'm pretty sure the day I lost my licence when I got really serious and started my Winter Project that I have been working on since "12-06-2005, 05:47 PM" lol

I also have a crap load of toys to install onto my car :-)

You know I won't even know what to do with all the space in my bedroom when all the parts are gone lol

88Accord-DX
10-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Why the hell do I keep sinking money into this beautiful hunk of shit car that needs a tin man driver cause it spits oil out like baby drewl. The forum is full of dreamers who never finish their cars and just sit inside the house on the computer and talk about things they will never be able to afford to do or spend the money and dont install any of it. Tell me Im wrong... tell me dammit. if im lyin im dyin boys.....
One the other hand there are some real go getters and really smart techs on here that know there shit and what shit they dont know they go scoop it up and share some of it. Much kudos and respect to those who created the how tos, and IMPORTANT threads, the moderators.
I just have an obsession with my accord and keep on with it, but Im never gonna spray it, or turbo it, just make it a nice ride and try to keep it as reliable as possible and stop all the dam leaks, .... Ok me go shut up now...
I hear you roodo2, I've asked myself that before. I've done got the motor up to par with a nice rebuild & have other things I'll take care of next year when it warms up. I've created some how-to & contributed a lot of my knowledge to help some people out. I've seen some talk about things out of their league, but I don't read every last thread on this forum

But as far as what started me to mod (rebuild motor) my car was not wanting to give up on it basically. I had the car long before I found this forum, but this forum did contribute to finding some parts & lots of potential.

Crazybird
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
need for speed underground 2 lol

and ive grown up with the car since ive been alive lol
so really i love the car

RamThis
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Well for me, it's lack of enough money to go buy a new car at this point. Had I not gotten the nice insurance check that made the car basically free to me, I would not be messing with the LXI swap and paintjob and all that now after my Carbed engine blew. I'd just be slapping the carbed engine back together with bubble gum and duct tape and drive it till I can find a way to get a new(er) car. Since I already liked the car before, and I am starting out with almost nothing invested in it, I figured, since I can do the paint and body, and all the mechanical work myself, why not strip the car, LXI it, restore it from the unibody up, and make a great lil daily driver from it, and just keep it for a while? So, that's what I'm in the process of doing.

Pico
10-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I bought the 3G for a daily driver I didnt even like the car, but I figured nothing fancy I can park anywhere and not worry about it, Get new tires, cheap stereo, and maintain it. Then a friend told me to check this site and I havent been able to stop doing things to the car.
As far as modding I've been doing that since I owned my first car when I turned 16, check out my cardomain page and you can see some of my past rides, from lowriding to minitrucks. I guess you can say modding is in my blood and will always be something I do till the end :rockon:

keruhas184
10-15-2006, 11:23 PM
The infamous carb lid flip opened up the pandora box.

BITESIZE
10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I wanted to be a ricer, now I'm grown up and want a clean car.

86AccordLxi
10-15-2006, 11:53 PM
I started modding my 3g because, like others, it's what I had. It was my first car and I wanted to make it better :) For me, it was great to learn on and gave me my first taste of wrenching--doing suspension a couple times, a deck install, and the like. Looking back, I spent more money on the car than I should have, but I still had a lot of fun with it and still miss the car.

Alex

Hash_man_Se_i
10-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I have been interested in cars for as long as I can remember, But i'd say it was going out with my dad one day to where he used to get work done on the old se-i. It was a performance/bodyshop place that did amazing custom work, and the main guy there has a wicked oldschool 2g Lude with some awesome bodywork.

I'd say from then on I was really really interested in modding... so needless to say, as soon as I got my accord I got started... And well now I'll make myself broke numerous times before I finish this project.

A18A
10-16-2006, 01:07 AM
i actually have 0 mods on my car, but its cause of this site why i bought it and fixed it up

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Like many of us here, Modding is in my blood as well. At 16 I rebuilt my first car from the ground up. It was a 1974 Super beetle. I redid everything including wiring. I had to, when I gopt the car, there was literally an extension cord running from the ignition to the starter. $3k later it was a nice car that I had LOTS of fun with. Also, my father was a mechanic in the military. He worked in the motor pool in Vietnam and was on the front lines re-tracking tanks and stuff with mortar and Gun fire all around. When I was younger, he and I rebuilt an 84 accord from the ground up. That car was sweet, until a drunk driver rearended us on Christmas eve and totalled it. I've also helped on the rebuild of his baby. A 1940 Chevy special deluxe sedan. That puppy has a n/a 408 small block that is pushing close to 500 hp on pump gas. He doesn't even need to run hi-test! Also, maybe you can see it in some of my pics in my garage, but he just acquired a 1947 Crosley sedan. Funniest car you've ever seen. It is exactly 4 feet wide at it's widest point! It has only 27 hp but we are going to be changing all that. This spring we are dropping a Suzuki swift GT engine into it. Those put out near 100hp. Mating it to a suzuki samurai 5spd and rearend. That baby is going to have 4 times the hp it did before! My brothers also have been building cars since i was younger. one had a cherry 1969 camaro that he ended up selling for $20k when he was done, and my other bro has a 1964 Chevelle that he is currently doing. Smae brother also redid a CRX si but he riced it all out. Man did that thing go tho! So yeah, that is the roots, and I really bought my 3gee when my SHO decided to have the tranny go on me and it was gonna be $2300 for a rebuild. Bought my 3gee and been hooked ever since. I have an opportunity to get a 95 BMW 325is but I turned it down and opted to sink more money into my Accord. I'd say that qualifys as an obsession!

2oodoor
10-16-2006, 06:39 AM
I agree, Mine leaks oil everywhere! Hopefully gonna change that next weekend cause a big leak is the front main seal and when I do the cam, i'm changing the timing belt and seal as well. I finally got it to stop leaking coolant. I change one hose, 3 weeks later another lets go finally they are all changed along w/the pump so no more leaks. I'd love to do the Weber swap, but I am hesitant to spend the $$ on one. Same goes for the header... Ah well, we'll just have to see how far it goes before I get tired of doing stuff to it. roodoo, i'd love to see a pic of your sc2 rear spoiler. i was at the yard yesterday and saw one almost the same color as my car and thought about it but decided not to grab it.
I just redid all the oil leak problems , but still seems to be one coming from under the timing cover, its almost discouraging.. but the thrill of how much more power the car has now will keep me attentive, have quite a few adjustments yet tune wise, and the dang exhaust problem.
the spoiler looks great on the car, but now its being painted, I may wind up going to get it back , the guy is taking too long. I can do it myself but I thought it would save time to collect on a favor. It looks very much like one looks on a factory 5G, almost identical look except the tips on both ends do not curl under, but fly out (go out straight) about quarter inch outside the profile of the rear quarters. I like it, will post pics as soon as its the same color as car and my new rims are on it. which should be before the month is out I hope, I want to get in at least one of the seasonal car show around here but time is against me as always. I will warn you it is a very tricky task to get that rascal on perfect, use some repositional doublesided tape to stick it temporarily, make marks and always measure three times, then drill the four holes, or you can get it right mark itand use super emblem tape but I dont do that because it could be snatched off with enough grunt..

2oodoor
10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Like many of us here, Modding is in my blood as well. At 16 I rebuilt my first car from the ground up. It was a 1974 Super beetle. I redid everything including wiring. I had to, when I gopt the car, there was literally an extension cord running from the ignition to the starter. $3k later it was a nice car that I had LOTS of fun with. Also, my father was a mechanic in the military. He worked in the motor pool in Vietnam and was on the front lines re-tracking tanks and stuff with mortar and Gun fire all around. When I was younger, he and I rebuilt an 84 accord from the ground up. That car was sweet, until a drunk driver rearended us on Christmas eve and totalled it. I've also helped on the rebuild of his baby. A 1940 Chevy special deluxe sedan. That puppy has a n/a 408 small block that is pushing close to 500 hp on pump gas. He doesn't even need to run hi-test! Also, maybe you can see it in some of my pics in my garage, but he just acquired a 1947 Crosley sedan. Funniest car you've ever seen. It is exactly 4 feet wide at it's widest point! It has only 27 hp but we are going to be changing all that. This spring we are dropping a Suzuki swift GT engine into it. Those put out near 100hp. Mating it to a suzuki samurai 5spd and rearend. That baby is going to have 4 times the hp it did before! My brothers also have been building cars since i was younger. one had a cherry 1969 camaro that he ended up selling for $20k when he was done, and my other bro has a 1964 Chevelle that he is currently doing. Smae brother also redid a CRX si but he riced it all out. Man did that thing go tho! So yeah, that is the roots, and I really bought my 3gee when my SHO decided to have the tranny go on me and it was gonna be $2300 for a rebuild. Bought my 3gee and been hooked ever since. I have an opportunity to get a 95 BMW 325is but I turned it down and opted to sink more money into my Accord. I'd say that qualifys as an obsession!
I see why your into the mods, your genes.... when I was 16 I also had a 74 regular bug and sunk a lotta money into it , got slammed head on by a chevy truck, bye bye bug, Ive had a few other bugs since, just fixed them up a little and soldthem. Nobody in my family is into things like this, your lucky dude. They are always giving me shit about how many cars I have turned, and right now I have too many, we have to keep tags and insurance on all cars in the yard now, laws....cant live with em cant live without them

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 07:07 AM
I see why your into the mods, your genes.... when I was 16 I also had a 74 regular bug and sunk a lotta money into it , got slammed head on by a chevy truck, bye bye bug, Ive had a few other bugs since, just fixed them up a little and soldthem. Nobody in my family is into things like this, your lucky dude. They are always giving me shit about how many cars I have turned, and right now I have too many, we have to keep tags and insurance on all cars in the yard now, laws....cant live with em cant live without them
LOl, My bug just got destroyed by being a 17 year old and beating the ever loving piss out of it! I had to change my shocks 6 times in one year due to blowing them out from hitting jumps with 5 people in the car. I'll have to look but I may have some pics of it about 2 1/2 feet in the air off a certain jump. My buddy's head went clean out the moonroof on that one! Best part of that bug, I bought it for $200 with a parts car, rebuilt it, beat the hell out of it, and sold it for a grand. Not a bad deal! As for people giving you hell for rebuilding cars... Screw em! My Father gives me crap for sinking $ into the Accord all the time, but he's the first person to help install my mods and take it for a test drive w/me after!

A20A1
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah I think I got hit by the "Hey, I can do this... I can do that" bug

Once you start getting more familliar with the car and work your way up from doing small mainteneance to big repair jobs you start to add your own little touch to things.

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah I think I got hit by the "Hey, I can do this... I can do that" bug

Once you start getting more familliar with the car and work your way up from doing small mainteneance to big repair jobs you start to add your own little touch to things.
My thoughts exactly... Now if i can just get the balls to work on my carb and it's cold start issues!

A18A
10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
My thoughts exactly... Now if i can just get the balls to work on my carb and it's cold start issues!
well if its one of those "it cant get worse" conditions, i say go for it :) i learned sooooo much about my carb in the last month thanks to A20A1, carb tech and the manual :) i tell ya if you get into it deep enough and not get distracted or anything, you will be happy :)

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, it could get worse is the problem. Car runs beautiful when it's warm out and there is little to no choke action or fast idle. When the car is full warm, no issues at all, not even a flutter. When it's cold out though, I've got a misfire and no fast idle till it warms up a little. She also blows black smoke when it's doing all this. I know it's a choke/fast idle issue cause if I pull the airbox and mess w/the choke whille it's starting, it runs perfect. I've never been good with carbs so i am hesitant to mess w/it. Anything else and I'm cool with working on it, Carbs just scare me!

A18A
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
well i know this is starting to go OT but is the solenoid in the back of the carb functioning right? that is what cause all my problems. but other than that your best bet is probably a vacuum leak or diaphram leak

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Honestly, i dunno if it's working right. I never even looked since it only does it when it's cold and when it's too cold to be working on the car. So now, Back to the thread.