PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper chattering

AC439
10-16-2006, 07:37 AM
I know this has been asked before and I found the thread too. I did everything I could do, new wiperblades, clean the windshield with detergent, apply rain X etc. It still chatters.

The problem is when the car is not moving or at slow speed, they don't chatter. When the car is picking up some speed, say 45 mph or above, it chatters. I think the wind add pressure between the blade and windshield and cause the chatter.

After I cleaned the windshield with detergent and dried it, I sweep my fingers across the windshield surface and it shows lots of friction, even when it is cleaned ! Are there any other cleaner or treatment that is designed to fix this problem?

- AC

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 07:45 AM
I used to have this problem too. I put Bosch Icon blades on mine and they are designed with a little radius that is the same shape as the little wing on the 4th gen accord wiper arm. That helped a lot but if it chattered at 45 before those wipers, It now chattered at 65. So on one trip to the junk yard I took an arm off a 4th gen, popped the rivets and took the little wing. Came home, set it on my wiper arm, drilled holes, used 1/8 x 3/8 ss rivets and voila, no more chatter at ANY speed!

AC439
10-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Are those little wings suppose to add or reduce pressure of the blades on the windshield?

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 07:56 AM
They add downforce to the blade. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but will a 4th gen arm bolt right on? I think it's a tad longer and has a slightly different angle where the blade attatches but otherwise should be fine. Usually chatter is not only caused by contaminants on the windshield, but also by weak springs on your wiper arms.

Vanilla Sky
10-16-2006, 07:59 AM
i was going to say weak tension springs, but jason already brought that point up. i had one chatter, and i replaced the arm with one that had a stronger spring. that alone fixed my chatter.

Oldblueaccord
10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Its the spring in the arm is weak. get a new arm or swap it with the passenger side if it doesnt chatter as well.

wp

Oldblueaccord
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
They add downforce to the blade. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but will a 4th gen arm bolt right on? I think it's a tad longer and has a slightly different angle where the blade attatches but otherwise should be fine. Usually chatter is not only caused by contaminants on the windshield, but also by weak springs on your wiper arms.

I have one is pretty long will touch the top of the windshield rubber. I never go around to putting it on but I think I did try it and the hole/splines are the same. Riviting the wing on is a good idea.

I tried redrilling the hole and stuff to stretch the spring more but I did not have success.

wp

TheWatcher
10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Get some Graphite wiper blades.

I have a pair, and no chatter. :)

They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Peace.

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
yeah, that wing works perfect. it looks at home there too since it's on the 4th gen. i may add one to my passenger side arm just for fun.

2oodoor
10-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I like the Bosch blades. there are great solutions posted here, but check one other thing if you still have problem, wet the winsheild or steady pour water on it and look down the side of it very carefully just as you would if you were looking for bondo down a body panel. the point is there were a lot of replacement windshields out there that are not true and have dips and waves in them. yep been there done that got the tee shirt....