PDA

View Full Version : Damn it!

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok so i finally get ALL my coolant leaks done. last thing was the water pump. Guess what! My God damn Radiator just split on my way home. The top part is seperating from the actual grid. WTF?!?!? i guess it's a good excuse to buy a Koyo right? So, are the auto and manual radiators different?

HondaBoy
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
when i looked it up, the part numbers were different. so i'm guessing theres probably a small difference, like maybe an oil cooler? i dunno, but there shows a Denso and a Toyo brand from Honda. for now, i'd put some JB weld on the crack. like just until you get the money for a new radiator. seems like everytime i fix something, other shit just has to go wrong too.

shepherd79
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
i don't know if there is a diff. All i know is that, my first car was 5 speed and it came with radiator that had oil cooller on the bottom for auto tranny.
It doesn't matter if it is auto or 5 speed, just make sure the top and sides are metal. plastic one sucks.

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
My current radiator is a Nippon Denso. It is all metal sides and top and looks very different from others I've seen at the bone yard. I've seen ones that had like a 90 degree neck for the cap and the cap was really small. Mine is huge. F-ing thing had to be the weakest link in my coolant system. All the hoses are done and so it the water pump so of course, next is the radiator. I'm changing the front motor mount too while i have the radiator out since it'll be easiest to do then. My front mount is shot. Is an eBay one worth the $?

MessyHonda
10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
mine had all the lines for the automatic when i got my Koyo. the thing is worth it....always keeps my car cool...my temp gauge does not go up....my sensor for the fan work but then one day it stop working....i sugest that you replace it while its out.

lostforawhile
10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
when I got a replacment,it had the cooler on the bottom for the auto,used it for a bit for the PS but then put in a cooler. mine was a five speed and i guess this was for an auto. I always wondered if it was possible to use that cooler with a pump to keep the oil in the manual transmission cooler? like a rear end cooler on a rear wheel drive car. does make sense. the reason your radiator blew last,was once you fixed all the leaks the pressure went back to normal in your system and bam. it was probably already weak to begin with. mine did the same thing.

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok, so where am I gonna get me a Koyo on the quick? I'd hate to get one off ebay... i'd rather pay a few $ more and get one from a reputable place.... There is a radiator place right around here, i'm gonna see what they have in stock. I may come away VERY cheap and if that is the case, i'll do that even if it's not a koyo. There can't be THAT much difference... can there? Mine has never run hot at all, even when the water pump was gone....

MessyHonda
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, so where am I gonna get me a Koyo on the quick? I'd hate to get one off ebay... i'd rather pay a few $ more and get one from a reputable place.... There is a radiator place right around here, i'm gonna see what they have in stock. I may come away VERY cheap and if that is the case, i'll do that even if it's not a koyo. There can't be THAT much difference... can there? Mine has never run hot at all, even when the water pump was gone....

i think geddy got it from kragen...also print out the ebay add and they priced match the 85 bucks and still gave him like 5%.....i think its a special order but i got to say...for like 85 bucks after tax its worth it.

Jasonf860
10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Sweet, thanks messy. Shipping will be a bitch but oh well, when you need it, you need it right? Why go half ased when you have the chance to go all out?

Jasonf860
10-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Anyone ever try and fit a 4th gen radiator in???? Looks like it's a bit taller, and thicker too. Width wise seems exact. Since i have no plans on going turbo on this carbed accord, I don't see why the extra depth would matter....

Jasonf860
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
i don't know if there is a diff. All i know is that, my first car was 5 speed and it came with radiator that had oil cooller on the bottom for auto tranny.
It doesn't matter if it is auto or 5 speed, just make sure the top and sides are metal. plastic one sucks.
Called the radiator place this morning. Talked to him extensively about radiators. When I mentioned Koyo, he did in fact tell me it is one of the BEST around as far as OEM replacement. There are a few comapnies that make better ones though. I got a price on an all aluminum polished one from some comapny called "csf", $349 out the door! :wtf: I asked what he was smoking! He laughed and said that this "CSF" company makes an OEM replacement that is 1 notch better than the Koyo. Basically put the crimp on the tank is stronger, which is exactly where mine is leaking. So bottom line is I pick up my new "CSF" rad. today for $130 out the door. The plastic tank one is a whopping $8 cheaper. Screw that, I want all metal!

MessyHonda
10-17-2006, 10:23 AM
^^if they offer lifetime warranty you got a deal.....koyo has lifetime warranty...so if it ever fails i can go get a new one.....plus i have 2 cars so if i sale it i will just switch it out...lol...good job Jason:thumbup:

Jasonf860
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, Lifetime warranty.... He's also throwing in a new cap! It's a dual line like the Koyo and is Copper/brass core. From what he told me, copper/brass cores cool 30% better than Aluminum cores, but race ones are aliminum for weight reasons. Also he said that it's a REALLy good idea to ground your radiator... electrolysis destroys them so a ground is crucial.