PDA

View Full Version : problem.....

BLck89accord
08-31-2002, 11:28 AM
just put my accel coil on.....when i rev it or punch it to take off....it kinda sputs or hesitates for a split second and then is fine and runs smooother and whatnot...but i'm just not sure what casued that hesitation....car was fine before i out the coil on....its kinda like tha spark plugs are too old to handle the new coil or something.....it hesistates between 700-1200 rpm and then is fine......can someone tell me what the hell might be up or suggest what i can do...new plugs, wires, etc.???

shepherd79
08-31-2002, 12:57 PM
how old are the spark plugs? and what is the brand you are using?
did you change the gap on the sparks? i found that between .045 and .05 gap, car has less hesitation.
yeah, make sure you get a new wires and spark plugs if the ones you have are old. oh yeah don't forget new distributor cap and rotor, just to make sure is nothing wrong with your ingnition system.

1988starter
08-31-2002, 03:03 PM
make sure you have all 4 wires connected and to the right terminals.

smufguy
09-01-2002, 10:35 AM
check if u accidently took off any vaccum lines off. Also, just asking, does the radio condensor hooked on still? check for loose plugs on ur block too

BLck89accord
09-01-2002, 05:21 PM
everything was perfect before i put on the accel coil...did nothing but follow instructions in "How-to". No problems until i put coil on. Now it struggles to start, and then the same problem with the car stuttering between 700-1200 rpm and then fine after 1000 rpm. i don't think it could be anything serious since the car was perfect with the stock coil and everything. I'm thinking the plugs are old as shit and can't handle all the new spark coming from the new coil (plugs haven't been changed since i've had the car...(2000) and possibly haven't been changed for a long time before we had the car) I think its either the plugs.....or maybe a bad coil?? i dunno. I'm gonna put some spark plugs on and gap them to .050 or sumthin, if that doesn't do anything, i'll either go exchange the coil for a new one, put the stock back on, get some plug wires....or think of sumthin else to do.....but i HAVE to get my car back on the road ASAP. Any thoughts???

smufguy
09-01-2002, 06:21 PM
dude, just put the old coil back in and see if it runs fine. if it does, get new plugs, put it in and start the car and see if it runs fine. if it does, get the new coil u bough, put it with the new plugs and see if it would run good, if it does. u got nothign to complain. if it does not, shove it up the dude's ass u just bought it from.

POS carb
09-01-2002, 07:20 PM
did you screw with the ignition timing?

kennycm
09-02-2002, 09:53 AM
I have that same exact problem but i'm trying to work it out now though.

BLck89accord
09-02-2002, 11:34 AM
didn't screw with anything, just hooked up the coil and that was it...however......today i started the car up and it started easier,(it'd been sitting since saturday) and it started at a high idle and then returned to about a 700 rpm idle...and when i reved or punch it to take off, it didn't nearly do any of that stuttering shit....so now i'm even more confused....maybe the coil needed time to break in or sumthing??? Its def. not anything serious cuz the car runs smoother and everything, so its either the old ass plugs that are on there now, or a bad coil, or the coil just has to adjust or sumthin. Who knows, but i'm gonna take it easier with the car for this week....still went out and bought some Bosch +4 platinum plugs today and ordered my NGK wires last night....i'll put those on and see what gives. Thanx for yalls help and suggestions tho...highly appreciated. I'll update later and let ya know how the problem works out. Until then...peace

Ryan C.

AC439
09-03-2002, 02:28 PM
I had a similar but not exact situation. I had always been using Bosch Plat (the cheap regular type) plugs until one day I decided to try out the Autolite double plat. So I did. The immediately effect was the exact symptom you guys are having. I then replaced my wires to NGK and the problem went away completely. I'm still on stock coil. I think that when we upgrade the ignition components to a stronger one, the weaker item in the ignition chain may not be able to handle the higher power. Especially when starting from a stand still, the old wires were unable to transfer the much needed charge for my new plugs (bigger demand for electric charge) to fire. I would think about wires are water pipes. When everyone is using water at the same time, the pressure reaching your house is going to drop.

Immeraufdemhund
09-03-2002, 07:40 PM
any suggestoins on best spark plugs to use on stock coil and wires. Or how much is it to start upgrading things? What should I put in? I'm a poor college boy, so relativly cheap is the way to go for me.

smufguy
09-03-2002, 08:33 PM
NGK are the best for the bargain

NGK wires = $30
NGK plugs = $ i dotn know
Bosch = $1.69 (each), yeah they are decenly cheap

if ur gonna upgrade ur car with a header ($170) a muffler (dynomax super turbo = $35) and a generic tip (20 bucks) with custom piping (cost differes) and plugs and wires above. highflow cat (100 bucks)

try havin at least 200 - 300 bucks in ur pocket after u got all the parts in to have someone put the exhaust back in

there are websites that have prices lower than what i have said up there. i said those things just to be on the higher end and give u a right idea of how much max it might cost.

A20A1
09-03-2002, 10:32 PM
hmm maybe the coil takes too long to chage up... I had the same problem but I alwas thought it was the new cam and carb.

Immeraufdemhund
09-04-2002, 06:12 AM
Ok with my headers what is the best material to use? Cause was looking around and i've seen it in steel, stainless, alumminum... etc. then there were like 4-2-1 and such.. what is hte best?

BLck89accord
09-04-2002, 05:31 PM
good news.....bought the bosch +4 platinums and put them in and my bitch of a problem went away :o) I still ordered my NGK wires and they should be here within a week, so i'll be straight. My DC sports header will be in friday as well (special ordered from shop) he he.....so for now, it'll be all good. Thanx for all yalls help tho. I appreciate it.