PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stumble Only During Right Turns

bushbean
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Engine in question is 88 LX with carburetor. When and only when the car
turns right, occasionally the car will jerk hard one time as I slowly
apply the gas. I think the jerk is a result of the engine stumbling. I don't
get this jerk when going forward. Problem seems to be limited to hard
right turns when the RPM is low (around 1500). Any hypothesis?

HondaBoy
10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
possibly needs a rebuild. i would go that route, replacing the O rings and whatnot. made a world of difference to mine. but as you were saying, on right turns it starts giving you trouble. could be something wrong with the float or needle, maybe something to make the fuel bowl not fill up enough so when you turn it all goes to one side and doesnt allow fuel to go through the carb for a few seconds. thats my hypothesis. i'm going to take my spare carb apart and take a few pix. maybe it will help you out some.

ok, i was noticeing that the float on this carb was kinda stuck. maybe thats your problem also. but as you see, where the fuel goes into the carb is on the right side. so it sounds like the bowl isnt filling up enough and allowing the fuel that is in the bowl to go to the left side on right turns.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05002.jpg

bushbean
10-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the fotos. I'm not brave enough to tear apart the carb at
this moment, but I have a friend who knows about carb, so I might
enlist his help one day to rebuild the carb. In the meantime, I'll just
have to live with it. By the way, do you think an out of tune carb
will pass emission test? Mine's coming up real fast.

HondaBoy
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
oh, i dunno. more than likely it will show up with too much hydrocarbon count. i guess i should feel lucky i dont have to worry about that yet. if your friend can tune the carb for you that may be best before going and doing your e test.

88Accord-DX
10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Not trying to repeat what has been said, but sounds like the float needle is hanging up.

Next few things to look at are the fuel filter & pump. Fuel dump test would rule it out.

bushbean
10-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Another mechanically-oriented friend of mine was in the passenger seat
when the jerk happened the other day. His opinion was it has more to do with the clutch springs not able to hold down the clutch, i.e., the clutch popped out for a fraction of a second, thereby creating this jerk that feels like the engine is stumbling. You see, the clutch and clutch cover were very recently replaced, and I decided, under the advice of a mechanic who was supervising, not to resurface the flywheel, which "looked very smooth." I am wondering now if the flywheel has something to do with this jerk. Anyway, it's just another idea to entertain myself with. I guess I should have resurfaced the flywheel when the tranny was out, but it "looked very smooth."

bushbean
10-19-2006, 07:49 AM
I was wrong about the "only during right turn" part. It also happened
when the car is going straight and doing about 40 mph. One constant is
the RPM is always low and I'm applying throttle after letting my foot
completely off the gas pedal. If the float is sticky, I would surmise that
the jerking would occur at any range of RPM. The same mechanic friend of
mine thinks that the problem is simply "operation error", that Honda's like
to the rev'ed hard, and that I should keep the RPM higher, above 2k, at all times.