PDA

View Full Version : chiped crank shaft end?

labeledsk8r
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
ok as some of you might know i have been rebuilding parts on my car while i wait for the new head, i desided to do the timeing belt today first time doing it but with all the stuff i have read on here it was no biggie i thought, i pulled the crank pully off and its little pin, and looked for a second, something didnt look right, the spot on the crank looked chiped off if looking at it on the mounting side the side towards the back was chiped and from the time it looked kinda like this |\ isnt it suposed to look like this || ?? i have a square peg and i would think it would be a square hole, help me out please

BITESIZE
10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Pictures add a nice touch.

labeledsk8r
10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
cant get any, im in maine, and my grandparents computer is so old my digi cam doesnt hook up. and nothing i save from my computer to a disk works, it took me over a day to get 2 pictures from my computer to this one of the head and pistons when i pulled the head, sorry

**edit** but i might be able to use my baller skills to draw it up in paint if that will help??

labeledsk8r
10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/crankshaft.jpg
best thing i can do with no time for detailing lol, i wish i could use my camra but cant, any help would be great like if i can run my car on it like this or what?? thanks

AccordEpicenter
10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
id say just put some JB weld on it and re-assemble. Worked on a civic we worked on once. Youll never get that crank pulley off again though

labeledsk8r
10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
yeah thats what im afrade of.. if i have to i have excess to a stick welder i think its mig or tig dont remember and i would do that? but i would like to be bale to pull it off if i ever have to chance my frigen timeing belt again. wich way does the crank spin? would the chip be on the side the presses the shaft/pin/pully if you get what i mean?

carotman
10-16-2006, 08:36 PM
The engine spins counter clockwise so the pin will press against the chip.

If the car was running fine before you take the pulley out, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just re-assemble it and make sure the crank bolt is on there tight. The woodruff key shouldn't move. Of course I didn't see the pictures so the actual thing may be worse but you won't know if it works or not until you try it.

The way I see it is that the slot in the crank might allow some movement of the pin in the front. However the the section closer to the engine block would prevent this movement to some point where the pulley will not spin. Besides, the pin would have to completely be destroyed and crushed between the pulley and the shaft to allow a full free spin.

labeledsk8r
10-16-2006, 08:50 PM
well the whole car was riped apart for some type of oil burn and im waiting on a head in the mail. and i have been fixing other things as i went and i found that. so my timeing shouldent get screwd up since the main gear isnt affected?, and how would i know the key snaps? i owuldjust lose my power stearing and altinator right (no a/c) is there anything i can press in there? i doubt it,

on another note whats the best way to get the timeing sproket off? ima replace the oil seals since there leaking hard, thanks a bunch i was getting really worried