PDA

View Full Version : thrust washers

newaccorddriver
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
can someone tell me how their positioned on the block? the manual i have doesnt really specify how their placed on there

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 03:27 PM
The thrust bearings/washers are put in the block on the 3rd main bearing journal. The is one on each side, the grooves must face out. The main bearing cap keeps them in place after you lay in the crankshaft.

newaccorddriver
10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
thanks for the info.

i have a general question for anybody whos bought a rebuild kit.. i bought a cheapo ITM rebuild kit and place on replacing a few parts. ive noticed a round metal ring that came in with the kit. i was wondering if anybody knows what this ring is for. i dont recall ever removing something like that from the engine before, and ive torn down 2 A20's so far

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
If you have a pic, probably could tell you what it is. Sounds like a ring that might go on one of the air or egr pipes, but that is guess.

newaccorddriver
10-17-2006, 06:14 PM
here are the pictures. i know the 3 black round things are seals, and one is the front crank pulley seal, but what are the other 2? also, are the grooves facing in, or out, same question goes for the rear main seal?(cant remember... i think the grooves go in though)

ones a front crank seal, but what are the other 2?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000582.jpg

are these the washers that go on the oil pan bolt?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000581.jpg

this ones also mind boggling

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000580.jpg

here is the thing in question...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000579.jpg

this kit was made for the A20 engine, but it also comes with carbed gear. i have no idea whats what because the package wasnt labelled at all and its a guessing game for what i dont know

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 06:31 PM
One looks to be the cam seal. I forgot what the rear main looks like, but it might be it. Take in mind the cam has 2 seals.

The washers could be oil pan or crank bolt washers.

The mind boggling pic is the gasket on the lower carb. plate.

The last pic is the manifold gasket ring past the header.

newaccorddriver
10-17-2006, 07:29 PM
One looks to be the cam seal. I forgot what the rear main looks like, but it might be it. Take in mind the cam has 2 seals.
The washers could be oil pan or crank bolt washers.
The mind boggling pic is the gasket on the lower carb. plate.
The last pic is the manifold gasket ring past the header.

damn, even i wouldnt have been able to figure that out. thanks alot for the help man. the rear main seal is considerably bigger then the other 3 gaskets, and its hard for me to mistaken that.

i never knew the cam seals looked like that. if the seals there are both cam seals, then i find that odd since all 3 are different sizes

do those seals go grooved side in?

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Right, groove side in. (flat side on the outside)

The rebuild kit comes with things for other style motors also, so some of the stuff you find in the rebuild kit doesn't appy to your motor. Take that in mind also.

newaccorddriver
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Right, groove side in. (flat side on the outside)
The rebuild kit comes with seals for other style motors also, so some of the stuff you find in the rebuild kit doesn't appy to your motor. Take that in mind also.

thanks for all the help so far. im sure theres plenty of things to ask during the rebuild itself...

i never knew the A20(or the BT1 block i have) rebuild kit was also made for other style of motors as well. i never expected something like this out of honda cause i rebuilt several GM engines, and the 3.1L engine has like 50 different things that arent used.

on a side note, the packaged deal i got off elijah included a head. fully rebuilt. ported and polished. port matched. and one or 2 other tihngs. i saw the recipt on that and the thing cost 1k to rebuild:omg: . i guess i benefit from it, but i feel bad paying him what i am...

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I had to edit that post, cause I was typing fast while trying to watch a ball game. What I mean is that it comes with other seals for A20A1 to A20A3 engines. Don't get me wrong on that now. You will find injector seals in there & what not. Most of the seals are pretty standard for all the engines.

Your welcome for the help, try to help out as much as I can with questions on here.

88Accord-DX
10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Dp.