PDA

View Full Version : Got my JDM ACCORD B20A !

YK86
08-31-2002, 02:21 PM
I guess it was my lucky day. I picked up an 88-89 style B20A. The guy knew what it came from but admitted they don't move very fast except when a rare few ask from the US. I got it for $350 CAD (or a little under $200US). It needs a good cleaning but it's probably dirty from sitting so long.
Now for the rest of the stuff (I've been thinking about it for a while). The reason I didn't take Mike Lee's was because it was modified for turbo when I wanted to stay N/A. I didn't want the lower compression pistons or the reground cams (for nitrous and turbos) and it would cost me quite a bit more to return it to stock specs and it just wasn't worth it. But, he is parting out the motor and selling the lower block to a 3rd gen Prelude owner now who wants the rods, pistons, crank, etc. I will be taking the rest of the stuff like his port and polished head, mounts, gasket kit, timing belt, 5 speed tranny with LSD, axles, ECU, Teg distributor and crank angle sensor, etc. I'll swap out the intake manifold for the 86 manifold I have.
Price wise, I'll be coming out of this VERY good (I think...). I also looked up the exhaust manifold and it turns out the JDM down pipe is the same as the USDM 88-89 EFI pipe SO, that would mean I can use the JDM exhaust manifold and DC header downpipe (if the USDM manifold really does fit the DC downpipe) so I won't have to go running out buying a Prelude header and getting it modified. Last thing to worry about is the throwout bearing. I'll try a few places to see if I can find something simular and as a last resort, I can order one from Japan through relatives or from a online parts dealer. By the way, they had a carbed B20A gold top sitting there too with some auto trannies. Don't know if anyones interested.

2Fast_Fiero
08-31-2002, 04:21 PM
:O You got it for 200 bucks, OMG, thats probably going to be the price for me fixing my engine, Where was this?

Site
08-31-2002, 04:34 PM
Congratulations! Man, what a deal! JDM B series bolt in rocks! You've been looking into this for a while, haven't ya?

YK86
08-31-2002, 05:04 PM
I got it from www.jkjapaneseengines.com After thinking about it for a bit, I think the B20A I said was carbed was probably B18A?? I saw the gold top that looked the same as the B20 and the guy said it's a B20 so I just assummed he was correct. Anyways, I have been looking into this for a while. I always like to make sure I get as much info as possible when doing something like this so I don't get caught with too many surprises. I just finished taking a few things off and doing a once over. Looks to be in really good condition except for the greasy/dusty exterior.

carotman
08-31-2002, 07:38 PM
sweet, It's propably in better condition than mine.

That engine is big compared to the A20A huh? :)

They don't happen to have manual trannies don't they?

2Fast_Fiero
08-31-2002, 07:53 PM
But the B20A5 is the same weight as the A20A3.

YK86
09-01-2002, 12:53 AM
Carot-I asked about the 5 speed but they didn't have any. I knew you'd be looking for one. I saw a couple autos but that's about it. The B20A is quite a bit bigger than the A20. Can't wait to see it cleaned up and sitting in my car with Mike's sweet powder coated valve cover! Oh, I heard Redshit or one of the guys there had one or two B20A 5 speeds. They moved recently and it's now really close to where I live (about 20 minutes away). I wonder if they are under new management (might be why they changed names). Maybe they realized shitty service won't gain them new customers. Anyways, I'll let you know if I find anything.

RCracer
09-01-2002, 01:13 AM
Congratulations on the engine find. Looks like there are going to be quite a few B20A powered 3rd Gens soon!
Has the engine got the intermediate driveshaft? So you can use two short driveshafts or are you going to use the accord (long/short) driveshafts?

YK86
09-01-2002, 01:26 AM
I will be getting all the axles/driveshafts, mounts (pretty much everything I need other than the engine) from my friend 89SEI. With all these guys working on the B20A (and the people who've successfully done it), I think we can have a pretty good how-to made up to help future guys. I'll try to document as much as I can as I go along.

88LXi68
09-01-2002, 06:41 AM
Congrats Yasu!! Looks like a bunch of B20As are popping p all of a sudden.

carotman
09-01-2002, 06:52 AM
Yup, this is going to be quite nice!

What ECU do you plan to use Yasu?

smufguy
09-01-2002, 10:02 AM
i wonder why they dont have any manual trannies. I Wish i could get the money to get an engine to drop it into mine. IS it just the engine or does it come with the Intake manifold too? and the tranny, do u gotta buy it seperately?

YK86
09-01-2002, 10:40 AM
I will have the JDM ECU and USDM ECU but I think I will try going with the USDM ECU first (easier to find if something happens to it and better for people who can't find the JDM ECU to go with the engine). But is there any difference in performance????
As for no manual trannies, I think since the 2.0si was top of the line, most in Japan would have liked having the auto better making them more rare. The engine has everything except the distributor. The pumps are gone too but the alt and AC compressor brackets are on the block.

Sean
09-01-2002, 02:21 PM
jesus people im working on hack the ecu dammit !!! it be here soon.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-02-2002, 08:06 AM
A B20, 5sp, ported and polished head's and LSD, umm umm umm GOOD! Love to drive that car when your done:D

POS carb
09-03-2002, 09:54 AM
lol... go funstick!

Hey Yasu, awesome find... $200 is almost what they want for regular motors down here, not the rare-azz B20... I dunno man I'd keep the JDM ECU until the GM ones get developed.

2Fast_Fiero
09-03-2002, 06:54 PM
Allright, I'm going to buy a new car, my brother gave me back my money that I paid him so far, I'm lettin him keep the stuff I done to the car tho, and he is interested in doing this B20A swap, what all do I need Yasu?

YK86
09-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, finding one will be the biggest challenge. Finding one with a 5 speed is even tougher. Once you find one, read this: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86
Make sure the person you are buying it from can also get you the rear mount. Actually, if your brother has the cash read right now, read this: http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4123

2Fast_Fiero
09-03-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, that is a suped up engine, he just wants it completely stock and running, its gonna cost us over 500 bucks to fix the current motor, and since you got that B20A for 200 bucks, I'm sure everything else you need isn't gonna cost that much, so I'm figureing it will be cheaper.

YK86
09-04-2002, 12:58 PM
If you can get B20Aturbo's stock engine and tranny (he has two sets, one modified and one stock) and all the stuff needed to drop it in, and the price is right, BUY IT! Don't use the price I paid as a guide. The engine is only one of many things you must find and buy to get it to work. As a more realistic estimate, the engine, tranny, mounts and most of the stuff you need to drop in from Redshift Racing would cost you roughly $1300-$1500US and that is stock with everything as is (old timing belt, water pump, etc) and then you have to think about shipping.