PDA

View Full Version : well damn. . .

c_bo
10-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Just got my 87' accord lx a couple of weeks ago. Had the alternator rebuilt and had to put an upper ball joint on the passenger's side. No big deal right? Well everything was running fine (aside from a nasty vaccuum leak that I can't find because I can't seem to wade through the 4'000 miles of vaccuum hose under the hood). About two days ago my battery light came on but only for a second. Didn't think anything of it. The light kept coming on, but going off shortly there after. Last night the light blinked on and stayed on. I drove for about 40 min. (with the light on) and the car finally died. The obvious problem in my mind is . . . alternator, right? If anything else would cause this let me know.

Legend_master
10-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Just got my 87' accord lx a couple of weeks ago. Had the alternator rebuilt and had to put an upper ball joint on the passenger's side. No big deal right? Well everything was running fine (aside from a nasty vaccuum leak that I can't find because I can't seem to wade through the 4'000 miles of vaccuum hose under the hood). About two days ago my battery light came on but only for a second. Didn't think anything of it. The light kept coming on, but going off shortly there after. Last night the light blinked on and stayed on. I drove for about 40 min. (with the light on) and the car finally died. The obvious problem in my mind is . . . alternator, right? If anything else would cause this let me know.

I say alternator on that one, you need to go back and have that replaced by the person that rebuilt it.

MessyHonda
10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
yup now your batt is dead...you will need to charge it up and get that alternator checked. sucky part is that carb cars have a bit more dificulty changing it.

895spdforfree
10-19-2006, 10:12 PM
check your battery terminals/cables too though, if they are stretched out or just worn out/corroded that could be the cause; same exact thing happened to me. The cable was too short (i dont know why) and was so corroded it slowly fell apart.

RamThis
10-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Alternator or the rectifier took a crap on you most likely. I had the same thing happen with a new Awful Zone one. Lasted a couple weeks or so. First one went out and the battery just went dead. The Awful Zone one worked fine for a couple weeks, then for a few days the battery light kept coming on. Drove it one more time, and had some punk try to cut me off, so with all 98 HP of my carbed fury, I made my point, but, the alternator saw things differently. The headlights and all the lights in the car got REALLY bright, then I heard a click noise, and they got dim. Car ran fine though still. Got home, parked the car, and check the battery, it was fried, showed 10V, and under load, nothing. Finally I put my battery/charging system tester on it, started it, and found it was charging at like 16-17 volts!!! Yikes!!

So, back out with the axle, and in with Alternator #2. It worked fine after that, just got a bad one.

c_bo
10-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys. Will check terminals and pray for a quick fix. Otherwise, out with the alternator again. BTW you can drop the subframe a few inches and sneak the alternator out of a hole just behind the axle. Saves some time if you do it right.