PDA

View Full Version : a20a to b20a

c_bo
10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm new to this honda stuff. Used to be a huge DSM guy. Got an 87' Accord LX. From looking at pics I think I have the a20a. Its carbed. I want to go to a DOHC V-TECH engine. I need to know which motor to start hunting down and a thread title that may have a walk through on how to do this motor swap. Thanks for the help guys.

nswst8
10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Your looking at alot of custom fabrication, the only straight drop in units are a rare find b20a, I think the guys in New zeland are trying to import some but they won't be cheap.

Other than that H22 are a possibility but the only custom mounting kits are out of production

Good luck,

mkymonkey
10-19-2006, 07:48 PM
well a few guys here have successfully installed a b18 into their car. and thats without the kits. might want to start doing a lil research, a couple of guys to look into are wickedaccord and legend master

have fun lol

Legend_master
10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Your looking at alot of custom fabrication, the only straight drop in units are a rare find b20a, I think the guys in New zeland are trying to import some but they won't be cheap.
Other than that H22 are a possibility but the only custom mounting kits are out of production
Good luck,

Actually they never made an h22 mounting kit only a b-series and that is not available anymore. What you should really look into doing is converting your a20 to and EFI(fuel injected) motor and fully rebuilding it than convert it to OBD1 and turbo that bad boy. I believe you will be happy with the results, but if you want a DOHC motor your going to have to do some serious metal work. Good luck

MessyHonda
10-19-2006, 09:13 PM
its up to you....it was cheaper for me to get a 5 speed fuel injected car than to try to conver my carbed auto....and yeah the b18s are the first swap that is worth it IMO the b20 are nice and all but they dont have the aftermarket support...but some b18 and h22 parts fit on them....Ask Twoloudnproud :thumbup:

carotman
10-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, what kind of aftermarket support the B20A doesn't have? Most of the parts from the newer B series will fit.

MessyHonda
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, what kind of aftermarket support the B20A doesn't have? Most of the parts from the newer B series will fit.

well if you mest up the gear box your SOL buddy....i think you and me know that...and i dont even own one...and it still gives me nightmares...LOL ok i over reacted...but yeah....you have to import stuff like engine rebuild kits....and stuff like that. if you have the money to get the b20 you should not complain at the price you are going to pay to keep it running. hehe

carotman
10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, +1 for you on the gearbox :p lol

c_bo
10-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Where can I find a carb/efi swap walk through. Thanks for the help.

Pico
10-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Heres one written up by one of the members on the forum Smufguy
http://www.accordproject.com/howto.htm

ChaseR
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Ok, +1 for you on the gearbox :p lol

Yeah but you could always rebuild the transmission using the original bellhousing and New B series gears...

MessyHonda
10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah but you could always rebuild the transmission using the original bellhousing and New B series gears...

according to Tommy....Nothing matches expt the 99 civic si diferencial....i bet he would know since he has 3 b20s :Owned:

TWOLOUDNPROUD
10-20-2006, 10:49 PM
according to Tommy....Nothing matches expt the 97 civic si diferencial....i bet he would know since he has 3 b20s :Owned:
99 civic si diferencial not 97http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/images/smilies/drink.gif

bullard123
10-21-2006, 05:35 AM

Really?? We should make a list of the parts that are compatible because I still need some.

carotman
10-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I think there's a list somewhere.

This is a quick list:

Valve cover
Cam gears
Camshafts (with little mods)
Pistons
Valve springs
Intake manifold
H23A rods
Clutch/Flywheel
LSD

Now, don't tell me there's no aftermarket support on these engines. Of course the parts aren't listed as made for the B20A but they'll fit.

Legend_master
10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I think there's a list somewhere.
This is a quick list:
Valve cover
Cam gears
Camshafts (with little mods)
Pistons
Valve springs
Intake manifold
H23A rods
Clutch/Flywheel
LSD
Now, don't tell me there's no aftermarket support on these engines. Of course the parts aren't listed as made for the B20A but they'll fit.

Is the b20a a closed deck block. if not I wonder if the motors could be sleeved using the sleeves froma b20Z or somthing similar to that motor. The cylinder walls seem like the only weak link in building a b20a turbo.

bradSA138
10-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess this is a LITTLE off topic but has anyone thought of doing a B20z swap from the CR-V? I heard some of the civic guys doing this due the larger torque- shouldn't this work for us???

Legend_master
10-21-2006, 11:56 AM
I guess this is a LITTLE off topic but has anyone thought of doing a B20z swap from the CR-V? I heard some of the civic guys doing this due the larger torque- shouldn't this work for us???

Different B20 dude, that motor will require custom mount to work in our car. That is jsut a 2.0 liter version of the integra motors. The B20 we are talking about was only available in a limited production of the accord.

smufguy
10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Okay RULE #1. Anyone who even wants to attempt to talk about or discuss about a B-Series swap, MUST read the sticky threads regarding to Engine Swaps.

PS: B20A is a closed deck

rjudgey
10-22-2006, 05:51 AM
And B20A was originally in the 2G Lude for one year only too. And not the 3G lude this was a different B20 also just to confuse things!! Although it was similar to the B20A ans some parst can be used inside the castings had different mounts to account for the reverse lean on the 3G lude that it had, where as the B20Z is just compelely different based on original B16 just stroked and bored to make 2.0litres.