PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Worn Down n Grinding on the Rotor

TdotWarrior
10-20-2006, 07:06 PM
i just changed my brake pads about 2 months ago because they were worn all the way down on the front driver side and they had started to dig into the rotor..... so i changed them and now they are completly worn down again and have started to grind into the rotor.... its been 2 months and the brake pad 4 the front driver side are paper thin!!!

anywon know what would cause them to be worn down so much on that side in so little time...?

MessyHonda
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
i just changed my brake pads about 2 months ago because they were worn all the way down on the front driver side and they had started to dig into the rotor..... so i changed them and now they are completly worn down again and have started to grind into the rotor.... its been 2 months and the brake pad 4 the front driver side are paper thin!!!
anywon know what would cause them to be worn down so much on that side in so little time...?

what kind of pads and rotors did you use?

TdotWarrior
10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
the premium monroe pads they have at canadian tire.... now i gotta get a new rotor... cuz that rotor was stock i guess and the first time it left a indent all the way around so i just sanded it out but now its pretty bad n gotta get a new one

but its just on the front driver side :@

MessyHonda
10-20-2006, 07:29 PM
have you checked your calipers...maybe its like stuck and the piston wont go back making the pad wear out faster.

mkymonkey
10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah...more than likely your calipers are sticking. and please dont just change ONE rotor.

smufguy
10-21-2006, 05:30 AM
as mentioned above, a frozen/stuck caliper starts to act as an one way valve with the piston moving towards the rotors when the pedal is depressed, but fail to push back upon pad/rotor vibration. a caliper from autozone should run you around 30 bux after u return ur old ones.

ZackieDarko
10-21-2006, 05:36 AM
you could try driving slower too :-p

HondaBoy
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
i had the same problem. what i did was change the rubber brake lines and replace the calipers. made one hell of a difference, havent had to replace the pads in quite a while. maybe more than a year. but the thing is i've never had the front brakes last that long on my 3gee till after doing that. also, i adjusted my rear brakes, after doing that it made an even bigger difference. more ballanced braking, less pad wear along with less dust on the wheels. so there's some things you can think about doing. i'd imagine that would work for you also.

ghettogeddy
11-06-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah...more than likely your calipers are sticking. and please dont just change ONE rotor.
i agree with both statements and u can get rotors for pritty cheap hell i got my brmbo oem replacement and aem pads for under 100 shipped

jackal
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Have you noticed your car pulling to a particular side. When braking hard and or not at all. This could indicate a couple of things.
1 - There is either air or a possible leak in one of the cross brake lines.
2 - One of the two pistons in the master cylinder could be leaking and not holding pressure.
3 - As was previously stated a frozen piston in the caliper.

Both 1 and 2 would cause one of the front and the opposite side back brake to wear unevenly. Since the front brakes wear faster than the rear ones it would be more noticable in the front wheel.

Another thing to check is after normal driving is one caliper noticably hotter than the other.

russiankid
11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
WAIT you didnt get the stock rotor machined(i use this term)? You just sanded some parts of it? Well thats one of your problems.