PDA

View Full Version : adjusting trans cable w/weber

2oodoor
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
using a search on the forum does not produce enough information.
I would like to see the right search word that produces information of other folks trails and errors, custom procedures, other things to check.
I am having a devil of a time getting the best of both worlds in my tv cable adjustment for weber coversion. I am using the cable linkage off the factory carb and my setup is almost the same as factory, but trying to get the trans to shift right with the additional travel of the weber throttle shaft, is being a headache, I am sure I will eventually get it acceptable but I was searching for other members experience on this other than how to, and the two other threads, there has to be more here somewhere.... anybody got a clue, carb guys????
and yea I have the cable from foot pedal set up type,

shepherd79
10-22-2006, 04:06 PM
have you tried changing the cable for another one. may be it is a cable.
sorry i can't help ya much with this. i had 5 speed on my carbed accord.

Tailfin
10-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Well I've never tried something like this, but it sounds interesting, so I'm just gonna blabber and see if it triggers any lightbulbs in your head :-P.

I still don't quite understand the advantage of having the TV cable come off the pedal instead of the throttle arm... I haven't really looked closely, but is it possible to just run the TV cable to the throttle arm instead of the pedal? Or maybe if there's some other linkage that supports that. I'm not sure how that comes off the throttle body, but it seems like it should lol.

Anyway, it just seems like you could get more control out of the TV cable travel if it were on the throttle arm (have fun fitting it in there too lol). This is ghetto and whacky and probably a pain in the butt, but if you have access to a welder, perhaps you could weld a tab doohickey onto the throttle arm...because via the lever principle here, the farther away you hook the cable from the center of the arm, the farther it's going to travel when the arm moves/when you press the accelerator. So like if you hooked the TV cable to the bottom of the throttle arm, and it didn't travel far enough, if you could hook it farther away from the center of the throttle arm, where it pivits, you could make it travel farther for however much throttle is applied. ...I know that sounds like a ridiculous method that would have one spending money and breaking things, but it's all I could think of lol. Have fun.

2oodoor
10-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Tailfin, most other makes and even some of these same cars do utilize the tv cable off teh carb. In fact these cars are the only ones I remember seeing it on the gas pedel itself, except maybe the old GM with turbo 400 trans. kickdown switch at the pedal.
I like it at the pedal cause it is just a cleaner look under the hood , esp with a weber carb or aftermarket air cleaner. It would take a lot of device, or design build to do it now from the carb on my car. I was trying to keep it as clean as possible under the hood as far as wierd looking hardware that looks useless. It was my mission to begin with, to rid of so much crap that is just unidentifiable to perhaps a hooters car show judge.. I really never thot this car would be showable, I bought it as a beater, but since I done the work under the hood and upgrades to it , it is really clean.
I just have to get the tv cable where its not so sensitive to throttle movement, and wanted some feedback , and yes, I will just have to spend a few hours re reading some of the great posts on the subject cuz there is not a good word to use to search for this exact situation, It will be multiple word searches. I had it close once saturday but lost my secondary 'action" lol. I will get it, just takes time and trail. thanks for your 2 cents.

A20A1
10-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry guys I just manually controlled my TV cable... loads of fun when you make the TV independantly controllable of the throttle. Haven't tried it on any other car but the accord.

I was going to hook it to a manual pedal assembly using the clutch pedal as my TV adjuster instead of my hand. That way I could let off the gas push in the clutch when I came to a turn and the rpms will shoot up, the nose takes a dive, you slow just enough and make a nice corner, and have plenty of power reved up to pull hard out of the corner. Works better then left foot braking in my opinion.

I think I had used a spare trunk latch release cable because it had the most length to start.

I also hooked the cable to the accelerator pedal for a while.

There are two versions for the stock keihin carb, one has a TV cable connection on the carb, the other has a dual cable to the pedal.
I had the linkage to the carb, it's a pain though because the cable runs through a metal pipe that is welded to the factory metal vacuum lines. So you have to pretty much cut the cable or cut the pipe out, then refit everything to line it up with the weber.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3645

2oodoor
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
dude,A20A1, your freaking crazy. That is so dam insane, but you consistantly come up with this amazing outside the box theory. Tailfin is working on his GF car so that would be out of the question, right. but me.. I was hoping to get my wife interested in the jinx car again but not with insane trans. pressure valve 'pedal' ... I like it though, it is now an option for me to get the car daily driver again, do you friggin work on airplanes or something too? dam.
If you had time it would be cool to draw out an anitmated version of the, automatic tranny driver controled clutch pedal, or maybe paddle shift device..your the man dude, as always..
thanks
also if you have not found that autolite 4b carb you mentioned I may have a source. I dont even think you still have a car do you, I hope you do with the four bbl intake.

2oodoor
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Im just gonna take the cable off and make sure its moving freely, and take the battery and batt box out and make something work until A20A1 comes up with a paddle shift design that wont disintigrate the planetary set or motor mounts.

Tailfin
10-24-2006, 05:06 PM
LMAO so much for the "automatic transmission." :) I wouldn't really want to relocate the TV cable either, just a whacky idea hehe. I wonder...is it possible to adjust the cables where they attach to the pedal? That would be the same lever principle...like if you could move where the TV cable attaches to it "down" on the pedal, it would travel less sensitively with respect to the throttle. This would probably require drilling a hole lower in the pedal arm lol. I'm just having fun with dumb ideas hehe.

Could also try what fixed mine, by altering slack in the throttle cable, you affect the "delay" on the TV cable, I think. But then you might not get the full weber travel...not sure, I've never seen a weber. Actually, the 88 here...is the only carburetor I've worked on LOL. What a thing to start on :rant: .

Have you/do you plan to upgrade the ignition stuff? Might be that or timing which could give the car a bit more power, and thus not have to rev as much, throwing off where it ideally shifts. I guess the weber already does that...

2oodoor
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
After thinking I guess A20A1 is trying to be funny, he has not answered or is busy. I cant imagine he really did that, mount a clutch pedal in his automatic. I wont put it past him though, read his posts. Nothing stops him or mrs hyde.
I would need to look at the thottle valve configuration inside the transmission to see even if just exciting the TV lever makes it work or does it need to be in a spool valve position. I have noticed that letting off makes it shift up and even pushing down ever so slightley makes it shift up into OD. I have to be able to put time in it, so maybe this weekend. Im trying to put togther upgrades on a civic I bought now, one that Im am drivinig everyday. its starting to get cold here
No offense Mike just kidding ya

Tailfin
10-29-2006, 05:04 AM
I have noticed that letting off makes it shift up and even pushing down ever so slightley makes it shift up into OD.

Ah! That is exactly what my problem was when I posted the fickle transmission thread, and it was driving me outright nuts... Like I said there, just giving the throttle cable a little extra slack helps this problem. That way, when the accelerator actually starts pulling the throttle cable, it has already pulled the TV cable some...that was my logic behind it anyway. I have been tinkering with it sense, and right now, it does shift when I let off the pedal and pushing down goes into OD, like you said, but before, if I let off the pedal entirely, the rpm actually went noticably up. Now it shifts, which I find a bit odd, but the rpm goes back down in the lower 2K range (on the highway) when I let off the pedal. I can increase the slack in the throttle cable a little more and it won't shift on the release like that, but then it loses some response. I'm not really sure how that shifting is supposed to act, but the service manual says 1/8" of slack in the throttle cable...and I've already exceeded that a bit hehe. I also have to still do a fluid change and such though. I hate this weather :rant: