PDA

View Full Version : dashboard is cut up or something, anyway to fix it?

newaccorddriver
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
i just took a look at the interior of elijahs car the other day and i noticed that it has a few rips and such on the dashboard. i was wondering if its possible to fix the dashboard or somehow make it blend in or even possibly cover it up with something like a gauge. if at all possible, i just want it to be fixed, but ill resort to other means if i must

MessyHonda
10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
replace it with the one on your car....be sure to paint it....

newaccorddriver
10-22-2006, 07:42 PM
replace it with the one on your car....be sure to paint it....

thats my last resort if i turn to that. the reason why i dont want to turn to that is because i dont want to tamper with the VIN on the dash.

would fiberglassing ofer those sections which has holes and painting them cover it up?

Pico
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
The vin is held in with 2 rivets just drill them out and use new long rivets to reinstall. I did'nt want to go thru the hassle either when I switched my dash but it turned out to be real easy..

MessyHonda
10-22-2006, 07:59 PM
The vin is held in with 2 rivets just drill them out and use new long rivets to reinstall. I did'nt want to go thru the hassle either when I switched my dash but it turned out to be real easy..

you still have to help me paint my dx.....ima have to get some of that stuff you told me about cuz i only got till the end of the month to pass it or else im stiping it and its going to 3gee heven at the junkyard.

Pico
10-22-2006, 08:02 PM
you still have to help me paint my dx.....ima have to get some of that stuff you told me about cuz i only got till the end of the month to pass it or else im stiping it and its going to 3gee heven at the junkyard.
Seafoam!!!! :D

newaccorddriver
10-22-2006, 08:03 PM

i think switching out the dashboards is near impossible as his have extra spots for things like the vents to be put in. near the steering column there are 2 vent switches which mine doesnt have, so that might rule out that idea. i tihnk its a huge hassle to switch out the entire dash to get rid of a couple holes, so i might try and cover them up with tape, and then fiberglass over the entire portion and repain my entire dashboard a different color. i guess ill see when i get there

Vanilla Sky
10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
it's not hard to swap a dash. i can do it myself with no help in less than an hour.

newaccorddriver
10-22-2006, 08:38 PM
it's not hard to swap a dash. i can do it myself with no help in less than an hour.

well, if my fiberglassing idea doesnt turn out so well, ill put it on my to do list

EricW
10-22-2006, 09:34 PM
The vin is held in with 2 rivets just drill them out and use new long rivets to reinstall. I didnt want to go thru the hassle either when I switched my dash but it turned out to be real easy..

My vin is held in with two Phillips head screws. The rivets that they use for vin numbers are special rivets with a star like pattern on them unlike the normal rivets which have a circle in the center.

Pico
10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I had the regular rivets in both of my 3G's and the one I drive was bought from the original owner

Cheeseburger
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
don't they sell those kits for cracked dashboards in pepboys and other automovite stores

newaccorddriver
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
don't they sell those kits for cracked dashboards in pepboys and other automovite stores

its not so much as a crack as it is elijah stabbing it a few times with something

MessyHonda
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
its not so much as a crack as it is elijah stabbing it a few times with something

:rofl: take some pics so we can have a better idea

Cheeseburger
10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
ya pics pics~!!!!

Civic Accord Honda
10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
yes pics i say pics mahhh hahahhahhaa

newaccorddriver
10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
when i get the car guys... i still have no idea how he stabbed it though

MessyHonda
10-23-2006, 06:38 PM
when i get the car guys... i still have no idea how he stabbed it though

cool keep us updated tho....REMEMBER MESSY DOES NOT FORGET...:lol:

A18A
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
can someone show me a pic of these VIN plates rivited into the dash?

RamThis
10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Fiberglass wont stick to the dash. It's kind of a waste of time to try. If you removed the whole dash, and covered the whole thing, making sure to wrap the edges to give it some sort of "hold", it might stay in place ok. But just patching over the vinyl, nope, never will stick. If it's had Armor All on it, it DEFINITELY wont stick! Non Porous Plastics and Vinyls do not mix well with resins.

newaccorddriver
10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
can someone show me a pic of these VIN plates rivited into the dash?

isnt there some sort of VIN system in NZ, or do you use the same thing JDM cars use?

newaccorddriver
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Fiberglass wont stick to the dash. It's kind of a waste of time to try. If you removed the whole dash, and covered the whole thing, making sure to wrap the edges to give it some sort of "hold", it might stay in place ok. But just patching over the vinyl, nope, never will stick. If it's had Armor All on it, it DEFINITELY wont stick! Non Porous Plastics and Vinyls do not mix well with resins.
what about a piece of fabric to cover it up with a layer of spray adhesive on it and fiberglassing the fabric? the fabric mold would act like a dish, and its porous

TheWatcher
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I would agree w/ picopop, just replace the dashboard w/ one from the jy. It will look the best, and is probably the easiest solution.

If you can get a receipt (a BIG if), then ask a local body shop what is legal in your area. If your really worried about the VIN, as a LAST resort, you can contact your local law enforcement for guidance, as far as what is legal (or not) in your area.

Peace.

HondaBoy
10-26-2006, 12:04 AM
i'm going to see if the guy i want to recover my seats can make a dash piece out of leather or vinal. the hardest part would probably be the level inset part of the dash where the clock and stuff are. i'll have to see about that, i've always wanted something like that done.