PDA

View Full Version : dies in the morning when i stop. idle low?

Vindicted_Reprise
10-23-2006, 06:18 PM
if i stop at a stop sign or slow down to take a 90 degree turn, with clutch in, it will die. it happens only in the morning, and i ALWAYS let it warm up before moving it. it has 220,000 miles, and i don't think anything has ever been replaced, other than the right side drive assembly, and belts. it also idles very low when it is very warm, like 300 rpm's. could it be idle, or is it something far worse? any help?

Rockcord
10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
when I first started driving mine it had this problem, I would try to raise the idle to around 750-1000RPM and then it should be fine, thats all I did and it seemed to fix it :) good luck!

2ndGenGuy
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Yep, my car with the stock carb did it. I dunno why still to this day, but it only did it in the winter months. After a few minutes though it went away. You should be able to raise the idle though to help correct a bit, but then your idle will be high the rest of the day.

offthahook
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Yup, it's probably just an idle issue. I'll bet you love that low idle when your dash shakes. I have my idle set about 900 to compensate for when I turn on the lights, rear defogger, etc. If I'm at a drive thru with nothing else turned on, it does seem kinda high. But, when I'm at a stoplight with the lights on, it doesn't play like it's about to die. Maybe hit it with some carb. cleaner, but the older the car gets, the higher the idle needs to go. Man it sucked when mine died whenever I went under 30MPH! I did some downshifting in the automatic to keep my RPM's up. It died twice while merging on the interstate. I just put it in neutral and hoped it started up (it did). It just needed adjusted a little bit. It is scary to see those damn dash lights come on when you go around a corner, with someone tailing you because you drive a slow 84 Accord. You could go as low as 600RPM, but it will act fuel starved at a stop most likely. Like I said, I'm at about 900RPM with no accessories on.

loko84hb
11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
can i get an idle screw diagram? lol

2ndGenGuy
11-05-2006, 02:20 PM
An idle screw diagram? Do you mean like a picture of where the idle screw is? It's a big black knob on the back of the carb. Its kinda tucked under the air cleaner, between the carb and the firewall.

offthahook
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Yup. It's a black thumbscrew. Be careful if you pull it off because there is a spring that runs almost the entire length of the threads. Lose that spring and you're SOL.

Holy^ghost
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
hahha i bet its a vacuum leak because the seals on his carburetor are screwed. thats most likely why mine dies out. i have to keep my idle at 1200 to keep it from dieing on the intersection.