PDA

View Full Version : creaking?

dosh8er
05-07-2002, 05:10 AM
I've got more creaking... after I bought new tires, which silenced a lot of things that shouldn't be vibrating regularly, I noticed that both sides of the front of my accord are really noisy! Needless to say, I'm pretty sure it's those damn ball joints. The boot for the top ones on both sides are cracked, and that's obviously a sign...

After reading someone's post about his ball joints, I think I might have a lot of work ahead of me... especially if I have to replace that entire friggin arm...

Anyone have some foreknowledge they can pass on to me?

BTW, i checked www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to see if they had ball joints, but the only thing they had was tie rod ends.

Does any of this new shit come greasable ? I won't replace it if it's not greasable, that's pointless.

ACCORD EX
05-07-2002, 05:32 AM
i 've heard talking before :
ball joints are not sold separtely !you have to get the whole tie rod !
someone was talking about putting prelude arms because you can change the only ball joints in them when you neeed to ! :D

MIKE

89accordmeister
05-08-2002, 05:47 AM
I have the same problem.
the upper control arms and ball joints come together and are a big pain in the azz to replace.
but u can get greasable ones just call your local parts store.....i got mine from advance auto parts
good luck man:cool:

HostileJava
05-08-2002, 05:51 AM
I had the same problem after I got my new tires and all the creaking went away after about a week, just wait for a little bit and if that doesn't solve your problem then go for the ball joints.

POS carb
05-08-2002, 09:34 AM
tie rods are for the steering rack, the ones you need are 99% likely the upper control arm ball joints (which cannot be removed from the arm so you gotta buy the whole upper control arm). It'll take you between 1-4 hours depending on your mechanical experience and how bad your suspension is stuck together. no fancy tools required, just an adjustable wrench, a 10,12,14,and 17mm socket(s) on hand and a hammer w/ wd-40 and a pipe for more torque.

The most annoying part of the job is the fact that you'll be pissed the whole time that you had to buy the entire arm and you have to remove the wiper motor and the "mystery box" to get to the nuts holding the arms on. :burn:

Scott89hondalxi
05-08-2002, 08:16 PM
I jsut did my upper arms.....I was going to do the lower ball joints cause something was creakin really really bad, but when i had the spidle out they didnt seem to be in bad shape. So I ended up just doing the upper arms, and now I can tell I need new springs and struts.....lots of new sounds came about now that the suspension is tight with the new upper arms....