PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sound?

87DXHatch
08-31-2002, 07:05 PM
Wow, this is my first post in at least a month... where have I been?

Oh yeah, my computer went crazy and I still haven't fixed it yet... I'm on my dad's comp. :D

Anyway, when I make turns, I can hear a sort of "clicking" sound coming from my front left wheel well. It is kinda rythmic and it only happens when I am taking corners, when the wheel is turned sharply, never when I am just turning the wheel a little bit.

Something tells me wheel clicks are bad... so does anyone know what's up?

Thanks
(BTW, cool features added, Marc)

dosh8er
08-31-2002, 07:13 PM
that would be your CV joints (Constant Velocity), on your drive shaft... sounds like you're gonna need new ones. You can still drive it around, but it will get worse.

87DXHatch
08-31-2002, 07:50 PM
Hmm, would this have anything to do with a ripped CV boot? Is the CV joint in the CV boot (Common sense tells me yes, but... who knows)? Last spring when I had my mechanic do a brake job on my car (Now I know I could have easily done it myself for wayyy less $$$) he said I had like something bad in one of my CV boots... could this be it?

How much are these to replace, and would this be a job I could do myself, or would I have to hand her over to my mechanic?

offthahook
08-31-2002, 11:14 PM
I think the CV joints lie at each end of the driveshaft/axle. You can get new ones (whole shaft and boot) for about 60 apiece. Nobody really replaces just the joint; it's too specialized. DO NOT GET JUNKYARD ONES!!! The boots will likely be cracked and they're cheap enough reman'd. Yes, your cracked boots let debris and crap in the CV joint and it got too dry and now it needs replaced.
Check labor prices cuz shops can do them hella easy, but there is a trick to busting old big nuts off our cars. A lift makes it easier, too. If the labor rate is hella high (more than 50-60 bucks), you might try it yourself. But once you jump in, you're in. No stopping or getting stuck in the middle...

87DXHatch
09-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Should I go to Majestic Honda to buy these, or someplace else? Online is my best bet... my mechanic HATES working on my Honda (at least in the engine bay), so he is glad when I bring him parts instead of him having to try to order them.

Thanks

1989se-i
09-02-2002, 08:17 PM
My car does that too :( . My suspension is shit

kennycm
09-18-2002, 10:42 AM
I had that same problem and it was my cv joints, i got them replaced for like $238, or something like that and i haven't heard the sound in a year now.

bigpoppa88
09-18-2002, 11:14 AM
You can purchase the "inner" CV joint, the kit comes with the tripod, bearings and Cup complete. Much cheaper than buying the entire shaft.

88' Accord Ltd
09-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Im sure its the CV joint as well, it might be a good idea to replace the two, but thats my experience with em. I replaced one and a few weeks later the other one started going too.