PDA

View Full Version : intake question

3ightball_EXI88
08-31-2002, 07:57 PM
HI.
I was reading threads on custom intakes and couldnt get from all the posts what is wrong with the original one.The one in my car (probly stock) goes into a hole near the battery and probly comes to the grill at the bottom, since I dont see it going anywhere else (Looks like it'd be sucking on pretty much cold air) . So my question is what is so wrong with it that people redirect the pipes into the engine compartment or outside of the bumper?My car is 88 Ex-i if that makes any difference (I saw both carb and EFI with intake mods but alot more carb ones ,dont know if it makes difference )
thanx.

3rdGenMartyr
08-31-2002, 09:35 PM
i dont think that its so much running it to the outide of the car but the shitty concept behind the airbox.....

the flow comes from the well, then into the top hole on the box where the filter is, then it travels to the bottom of the box and leaves through a port under the inlet and does a complete 180 turn into the intake, if the box was right on the intake it wouldnt be that big of a deal, but that 180 degree turn kills almost all airflow into the intake, thats why i opted for a custom made PVC intake (im broke) over a cromed out intake, just to stop all the air restriction coming from the useless piece of crap that is the air box

3ightball_EXI88
09-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Can someone then tell me why u would change the pipe itself ,while u could stick the new filter on the existing pipe and avoid the airbox?Maybe change the pipe to something that doesnt get as hot but why not have it going into the bumper where the original does?
thanx

88LXiHB
09-01-2002, 05:30 PM
For it to go into the bumper it would have to be a cold air intake, and since no one makes the for 3rd Gens, most people just buy a 92-95 Civic Short Ram (under hood) and cut 4 inches off the filter end.....I did the latter, and notice a pretty significant performance increase over stock..I'm not saying "I gOt 15 HorsEpOWer, DawG!!", but you could deffinately tell the short ram made a difference. :D

3ightball_EXI88
09-01-2002, 06:10 PM
Yeah but the pipe disappears into the hole which leads to the bumper( or close to it in the left bottom corner of the car ) so its gotta be sucking cold air as it is ? right?
I am new here and might be missing something obvious so if u could clear that up for me id be greatful

87pimpsterdocious
09-01-2002, 09:25 PM
The whole point of a cold air intake (or any aftermarket intake) over the stock intake system is that as said earlier, the stock system is very restrictive. A larger diameter pipe with less turns and no airbox will help this. The more air the engine can get, the more power (cold air is the best).

Experimental_Honda
09-02-2002, 07:29 AM
i custom fitted a dc sports dac short ram intake for a 92 civic in my car, it does not make to much diffrence unless im really getting on my car.

1989se-i
09-02-2002, 01:08 PM
I can definitely tell a difference with my short ram air intake. Since i put it on, it seems like my tires chirp everytime i take off (and when it switches to 2nd gear at high rpms). Also, it made my car hella loud and it definitely looks cool, and frees up space in the engine compartment :p

1988starter
09-02-2002, 03:54 PM
I love my AEM intake

88WhiteLX-i
09-02-2002, 08:22 PM
I gotta get me one of those....No fucking time though..:( :(

anchovies
09-02-2002, 09:09 PM
he problem with the stock one is that it's very restrictive
the twist and turns
and the resonator box to keep the noise level down.
It's actually not cold air (well, sort of). If you look at the right side near the head lamp motor, you'll see the intake pipe coming back up from the fender from the resonator box

Toby
09-02-2002, 10:01 PM
This is what I am planing to do once I have an after market intake system. Get the black box where the stock system gets its air from and drill holes in it (the side of the box which faces the front of the car) not too many and also drill a few holes in the bottom of the box this is so any water that gets in the box can run out. And then have the air filter there were the pipe comes up from the box into the engine bay so the filter picks up all the cold air comming up from were I drilled the holes.
The only thing I would have to do is make the intake pipe my self what would be best for that??