PDA

View Full Version : alternator replace = done

c_bo
10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
changed the alternator last night. took a bunch of time but its done. today however the alternator light is starting to flicker again. a guy i'm teching with right now says he thinks the belt is slipping. we shall see. any other input is appreciated.

shepherd79
10-26-2006, 07:54 AM
do you have efi or carb?
check the belt?
where did you get your alternator?
if it is rebuild, they can come deffective.

MessyHonda
10-26-2006, 08:06 AM
that sucks...they do free test at like autoparts stores. also check all the wires

Vanilla Sky
10-26-2006, 09:00 AM
if you have it tested, have it tested at an advance. autozone said my alternator was fine, but advance told me that the diode pack was dying, which was causing my dead battery symptoms.

as for the light flickering, check all of your electrical connections again. be dead sure that your alternator positive is secure and clean, and that your engine ground is secure and clean.

accord89carb
10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
my car having same problem its 89 accord

HondaBoy
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
possibly the one you got has a bad regulator? check voltage output at the battery termanals, if thats good and not fluctuating, then maybe a bad wire connection somewhere. hey, did you have to take your driver side axle out to get the alternator out?

c_bo
10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
thanks dudes and dudettes . . . checked all connections and i tested the battery and alternator here at the shop. all checks came back ok. the belt is pretty torn up so im gonna throw a new one on and see if that fixes my problem.