PDA

View Full Version : rustedout.

rustedout
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
of the few problems i've had in my hondas.. aside from the head gasket incident in washington.. my biggest problem is rust.

Since we're too far from the ocean, every winter they salt some of the roads to help the snow go away.. instead of just sanding for traction, we like to make it muddy AND sloppy.

I found out a couple weekends ago that both my rocker panels have rusted to the point that I can fold them straight down from under the doors, like a shitty sideskirt kit. It's all sawtoothed and dangerous. I'm tempted to fold them straight out from the body and drive around all Mad Max style. What I'll actually be doing is cutting them off.. all they're doing is retaining dirt and making things worse.

My accord is too far gone for rust repair, I'll readily admit.. I can't even use my jack points anymore because the jack punches straight through them.
I used half a can of insulating foam to fill my driver's rear quarter panel, partly because you could see the rear tire through the gas filler door.. but also to keep the filler hose up and away from the wheel when that last bit of steel gave way.

Hell, when I bought the car, the paper speakers had rust spots on them. I don't know how.

My car's cancer has eaten through more than a dozen cans of primer, rust stopper, rust converter, rustoleum, truck bed liner, art-deco paint, and anything else I've thrown on there, from the plastic door bumpers down.

Point being, I'm going to be renewing my belts and seals and stuff this spring when it warms up, and I'm still going to have a "type R" lightened car in running shape. Sometime after that I'll probably pull my engine, any worthwhile parts, and keep them around for a transplant in case my semi-less-rusty '84 takes a dump. I'm getting ahead of myself, though.. because the 84 needs to get back up and running first.. it's slightly disassembled.

Pictures when I can.. 'cause I can't right now. :violin:

2ndGenGuy
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Man thats too bad about all the rust. Not surprising though considering how rust prone these cars were. Toss in a little crappy winter and heavily salted roads, you get what you've got. You're hardcore holding on to that car as long as you have. When you finally do scrap it though, yeah hang on to what you can for that other car.

Parts are harder and harder to find these days. You'll never be able to buy new trim or chrome for your car again. Interior parts are starting to dissapear as well. There is such low demand for these cars (even lower than the 3gs) that nobody is even bothering to keep them around in the junk yard anymore. They might sit for a few days then go to the crusher. Pretty soon there won't be any more of these cars left.

Maybe one day they'll be as rare as an S600 or a Coupe 7. Kinda doubt that though. :)

MessyHonda
10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
i took a autobody class to help me fix the body of my dx. i remember a guy had rust and they patched up panels....it was real neat...but im super glad that my car is rust free....hope everthing works out for you. you might want to get it fixed b4 it gets any worse

hotdoghogie
10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
i have a little rust... not too bad just wire brush it and bond-o!

denhonda
10-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Sounds worse than my rusted out 85 ! Then again maybe they're about the same... mine has rust everywhere & the inner arch behind the boot trim is non-existant. The jacking points are all safe to use though. My other cars are very good though & one of them has no rust at all!

My rusty one has been out of use since 1999 and is there for spares only, it would've failed the MOT test we have here purely cos of rust - it drove great. It had cover sills welded a couple of years previously & all kind of bodges to fake up other areas. We get out roads salted here too (& I live 500 yards fromn the sea) & I'm convinced its to make cars rot out so you've got to buy new ones to keep the economy going. Conspiracy theory?

Ultimately your cars structure will be severely weakened so you should really consider another car for your own safety (in the event of an accident). Seriously, terminally rusty cars don't cope at all well with bumps...

Have a hunt for a sound car, cavity wax it, underseal it, all kinds of stuff to protect it. Keep it parked on hard standing & keep it clear of snow in the winter where possible. Don't put a cover over a car up when its wet/damp as thats ideal conditions for encouraging rust.

Anyway thats enough of my ranting!

Oh, regards 2gees being as rare as S800's... I think they will be rarer. S800's are cult cars. There's a Coupe not far from me thats going to waste in somebodys garden, discovered it last month...

gosse
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
it sounds dangerious? could you see your tire????????
parts? fuck that how do you thing they did before the inventet machines to make panels and other trim parts.. Make them your selve..
And it sucks that they dont make more to it, you can buy anything to a fucking Golf 1 and 2 (very ugly car) uhhh
but i making it my self, have bought a "bender" mashine to bend sheet metal to angel.. (my english not the best)

but buy a cheap shity car and make that fine piece of machinery..
a shame if they have to leave the roads...
Hope that we (all that loves the accord) could get more parts for them,
new cars , by my view, they look bad, ugly bulb formet disasters that look like shit.. just my appiuion...
but as i've understood the car maybe very dangerous to drive, hows the frame?? salt sucks, in sweden they use some sort of cemical that donts corrode the cars..

offthahook
10-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Just start disassembling what you can because these cars are getting so rare enymore. Southern cars are the ticket for decent bodies. The paint on southern cars will oxidize, but the metal stays intact. Then, you use your saved parts and hook it up. The southern cars get interior cancer-- sun rot. Undercoat the mess out of any old Honda you get! Trust me, the midwest is fresh out of older Accord stuff. Kinda sad.

rustedout
10-29-2006, 07:29 AM
it's kind of funny - my '85 has all the options, and they all work.. cruise, ac, windows, locks, everything. never had any problems with accessories. my head gasket blew while i was living off odd jobs in washington, otherwise the engine's been fine. only about 145k miles on the car. I bought the 84 from a coworker for parts, panels, whatever - no starter, pops out of third, ac compressor hanging from one bolt, dead.. power steering dead.. interior trashed, but a lot less rust than my original. Hell, going through the junkyard, the 2.5 gen's out there are practically rust-free compared to mine.

I hear you on the safety issues. Somebody hit me while I was parked, and crushed my front fender, so I pulled the dent out bare-handed. The car isn't going to stand up to much in this condition.. but the integra is my daily driver, the hondas are my fixer-uppers.

yeah, i could see the tire through the gas door.

I slammed one of my back doors in washington and a small plant fell out of a hole in my rocker panel. i should've kept it.. i won't be fixing the rust on this car, though. trying to slow it down, sure, but it's beyond repair. once the frame starts going like this.. it's too late.

I will, however, keep this car running until it breaks - punches a strut through the tower, drops things out of the trunk, drops the seats on the ground, whatever.. but i'll probably fix anything like that, too. it'll have to break in half before I part it out.

Civic Accord Honda
10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
of the few problems i've had in my hondas.. aside from the head gasket incident in washington.. my biggest problem is rust.

Since we're too far from the ocean, every winter they salt some of the roads to help the snow go away.. instead of just sanding for traction, we like to make it muddy AND sloppy.

I found out a couple weekends ago that both my rocker panels have rusted to the point that I can fold them straight down from under the doors, like a shitty sideskirt kit. It's all sawtoothed and dangerous. I'm tempted to fold them straight out from the body and drive around all Mad Max style. What I'll actually be doing is cutting them off.. all they're doing is retaining dirt and making things worse.

My accord is too far gone for rust repair, I'll readily admit.. I can't even use my jack points anymore because the jack punches straight through them.
I used half a can of insulating foam to fill my driver's rear quarter panel, partly because you could see the rear tire through the gas filler door.. but also to keep the filler hose up and away from the wheel when that last bit of steel gave way.

Hell, when I bought the car, the paper speakers had rust spots on them. I don't know how.

My car's cancer has eaten through more than a dozen cans of primer, rust stopper, rust converter, rustoleum, truck bed liner, art-deco paint, and anything else I've thrown on there, from the plastic door bumpers down.

Point being, I'm going to be renewing my belts and seals and stuff this spring when it warms up, and I'm still going to have a "type R" lightened car in running shape. Sometime after that I'll probably pull my engine, any worthwhile parts, and keep them around for a transplant in case my semi-less-rusty '84 takes a dump. I'm getting ahead of myself, though.. because the 84 needs to get back up and running first.. it's slightly disassembled.

Pictures when I can.. 'cause I can't right now. :violin:

that sound like my 3gee the rad was leeking the other day and when i jacked it up and went to go get my tools it was on the ground and the jack went rite tho the botom on the car i hate rust

1ajs
10-31-2006, 09:31 AM
don't use the jack points use the front suspention...

sad about your 2gee like me with my volvo but i could still save it.... if only i had 10k to just take it up the street to get the rot fixed..
but then i would take the 3gee up there and get some work done to it also

rust is not a major problem on this one its all the gravel roads its been on...

Cheeseburger
10-31-2006, 09:34 AM
dam that sucks! post pics!