PDA

View Full Version : Thermostate problem (I guess)

NSX
10-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Sorry I am new here (from Montenegro, Europe) and would like to ask what is going on with my 2.0 12V 1988 Accord.

Before couple of months Ive seen that my needle on idle goes up and down (from 1 to 2k rpm), and that temperature goes up. I went to the mechanic and he has seen that some hoses were broken and that thermostate was "blocked". So he replaced hoses and "unblocked" it. Car ran fine for a couple of weeks and then started making problems again... but it seems thats not thermostate now.

Do you know that could it be, maybe some electronics or something?!

Thank you very much in advance

shepherd79
10-27-2006, 04:27 AM
well it would help if we knew whe kind engine you have. it is efi OR CARB?

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 07:21 AM
well do the radiator fans turn on?....did you replace the thermostat?

NSX
10-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Its efi (didnt know there were carburated 2.0 12v), and its quite hard to find thermostate here...there are 3 3rd gen accords in Montenegro and others dont have my engine + owners prolly wouldnt sell thermostate to me from obvious reasons :)

shepherd79
10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah i would start with thermostat and go from there.

88Accord-DX
10-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Replace the thermostat. Bleed the air out of the system & see what happens. Wait untill the engine is at operating temperature, look into the radiator to see if coolant is moving. If it is, then your water pump is working. If not, water pump isn't working or the radiator is clogged.

IF the temp gauge goes past 1/2 way, then that is cause for concern.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry I am new here (from Montenegro, Europe) and would like to ask what is going on with my 2.0 12V 1988 Accord.
Before couple of months Ive seen that my needle on idle goes up and down (from 1 to 2k rpm), and that temperature goes up. I went to the mechanic and he has seen that some hoses were broken and that thermostate was "blocked". So he replaced hoses and "unblocked" it. Car ran fine for a couple of weeks and then started making problems again... but it seems thats not thermostate now.
Do you know that could it be, maybe some electronics or something?!
Thank you very much in advance

Hello welcome to the site.

From what I get your cars idle goes from 1000 rpms to 2000 rpms and the temperature guage goes up? I just want to make sure that is the question you are asking.

Most of our cars the temperature guage reads a little under the half way point on normal running.

The idle should not be fluctuating that much. You can try bleeding the coolant out there is a little bleeder screw on the thermostate housing and a procedure in the manual to do it. Its easy for air to get trapped in the system in our cars. The fast idle vavle and the ICAV may also need to be bleed as well.

wp

NSX
10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Replace the thermostat. Bleed the air out of the system & see what happens. Wait untill the engine is at operating temperature, look into the radiator to see if coolant is moving. If it is, then your water pump is working. If not, water pump isn't working or the radiator is clogged.
IF the temp gauge goes past 1/2 way, then that is cause for concern.

Yeah it has always been at 1/2 but now it almost made 1/1... I guess that cooling system is blocked somewhere as some hoses were broken (and when replaced it heats much more faster, like goes from cold to full scale in less than a minute). So there is big pressure on them and they again break but then gauge doesnt go much past 1/2 but car leaks water so I have to bring some bottles with myself to add to system.

Thx very much everyone for the response, I'll try to search for thermostat on ebay (or wherever it could be found), if you have some offers Im interested.

How much can it cost?!

Oldblueaccord
10-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Well a thermostate is very cheap here like maybe 5$ but I dont no if parts places here send overseas. In a pinch you can just remove it and not use one but the car will not fully warm up and the fuel injection will not run correctly.

Make sure you radiator is full of course.

If it over heats that quick your head gasket maybe blown. Especially if its over heated a few times. You can use a compression tester to check each cylinder's compression. Fluffy white smoke out the tail pipe while the car is running is another sign of a bad headgasket.

EDIT: also if it leaks water you can run with the radiator cap loose. just tight enough to keep the water from spilling out. The car should not over heat I ran mine like that for years with a leaking radiator.

wp

NSX
10-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Ty very much, I'll try to find it here on eBay in Europe!

Oldblueaccord
10-29-2006, 02:35 AM
www.rockauto.com

is an online part house they maybe able to send it.

wp

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 08:00 AM
www.rockauto.com
is an online part house they maybe able to send it.
wp

Your discount code is:

Here's how to use it:

* In our Java Catalog, enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* In our non-Java Catalog, enter your code in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount."

This discount code expires on November 14, 2006; so don't wait!"

that is the code Forrest posted up...i got 5% off yay me

Oldblueaccord
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah but they gotta ship to his country where ever that is :huh: I think that is the hang up. And i guess I gotta get a new map.

wp

NSX
10-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Lol yeah desintegration of former Yugoslavia made a real mess :D

Thx for that discount :)