PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Mani to exhaust pipe bolts frozen! HELP!

mocean
10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Ok, so I was going to replace my extremely leaky oil pan gasket recently and when I tried to disconnect the exhaust from the exhaust manifold the bolts were frozen in place and just spun -- it loosened enough to create a leak so I've been driving around a honda lawnmower the past few weeks.
I finally get around to getting it into a shop hoping they have the tools necessary to get it fixed.
Nope.
Just got a call from my mechanic saying he can't get them off, he's ruined 10 bits already trying to drill them out (said they are some type of metal that is impervious to drilling - said someone before must have replaced the oem ones with these), they tried to torch them off but they are made of a metal stronger than that of the metal on the exhaust flange, so the metal around them is melting.
He said he is now going to try to remove the exhaust mani from the engine and go from there.
Any ideas from anyone?
Does this sound right?
I usually do my own work, so this is the first mechanic I've used since coming to the area, and he has a good reputation around here.
BTW - this is an 86' LX
Thanks!

shepherd79
10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
bull shit. your mechanic is trying to rip you off. any metal can be cut except the titanium. you can cut them with a torch or grinding tool. That is how i had to do on my first car and my new car. you probably still have original OEM bolts there, they are strong but they are not that strong.
Your mechanic is ripping you off.

mocean
10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Dammit......thats what I was afraid of. we'll see what he says on the next phone call....fortunately he has cheap rates (maybe for a reason?), said the whole job -- changing the oil pan gasket, and labor for removing the manifold and replacing would be around $200 -- this is what I kinda figured on. this is for appr. 4 hrs labor.......:rant:

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
yesterday i took my car to get it checked they want $249 plus tax for a oil pan gasket.

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
yeah, if they couldnt get it off with strength and the right tools, they just grind em off...or torch em...unless u have titanium bolts...hmmm:wtf:

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
time to upgrade to some pacesetters...:thumbup:

88Accord-DX
10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
That mechanic didn't pull the header off first, put it in a vise, cut the bolt off even with a cut off tool, hit the middle with a sharp punch & then use titanium drill bits to drill the bolt out.

That, he is using some cheap drill bits & no PB Laster on the bits while drilling.

mocean
10-27-2006, 06:38 PM
yeah, well i just picked it up - he wanted $375!

We talked about it and he came down to $300. He also took digital pics of what he had to do - the flange on the manifold got so mangled from getting the bolts off (showed pics with it off the car). as a result he said it had to go to the machine shop to be fixed up....

all in all, worked out ok I think. seemed like a decent guy in person, and having the pics to actually back it up....I was surprised this but also impressed. never seen a mechanic do that before, seems like a good idea.

Thanks all, for the input!

88Accord-DX
10-27-2006, 06:43 PM
That isn't a bad price for all the work done. I'd say you got a good deal. :thumbup:

HondaBoy
10-27-2006, 07:04 PM
sounds like they didnt know what they were doing in the first place to me.:ugh:my shit was rusted, and i know that when any type of bolt, engine or body, is stuck or rusted you use a penatrating oil. thats a given to any mechanic who knows what they are doing. so yeah. good luck, and as for drilling the bolts out, its doable. i have a set of shitty ass drill bits that do the job when i need them to.

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
outch sometimes it pays off to do your own stuff....well at least you got your car fixed.