PDA

View Full Version : Another smoke thread (Sorry in Advance)

VTEC_Inside
10-27-2006, 11:41 AM
I've searched but I can't say I've come up with anything definitive, perhaps there isn't a definitive answer, but bare with me.

My '89 has been blowing the blues on cold starts now for the last 2-3 winters.

The first couple winters it had to be close to or under freezing for it to do it, and then it would only be for under 30s. Now it will do it if its been below 5-8c overnight and for up to a minute.

Over the summer there is no visible smoke at all from the car. Once the car is warmed up in any weather, I can floor it up to 5000rpm and there is no smoke.

It had good and even compression the last time it was checked.

My deduction is that it has to be the valve seals and that they have just deteriorated further over time, but I've seen it suggested that the guides are likely the culprit when this happens. The engine runs about as good as it ever did otherwise. 21inches at idle.

I'm thinking of having the seals replaced. I don't really want to spend the money, but I'd rather not drown my neighbours in blue every day I decide to use the car in the winter.

I'm just kinda down over this as it is the first car I ever owned and I'd like to keep it somewhat respectable without blowing too much money on it.

I was even thinking of dropping the fast idle speed to keep it from billowing out as much as it does now. :)

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
blue smoke meants your burning oil...like you said check the valve seals...

syclinsam
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
My accord went through a few smoking spells. Try a treatment. I used CD2 and it cleared up. My brother had an old jeep comanche that would smoke, he treated Slick 500, cleared it up and idled smoother. He swears by it. I don't know what the general opinion on engine treatments is but they've worked quite well for us. Always check the label to make sure it is safe to use on our cars. Its worth a shot $3 - $60 is alot cheaper than a rebuild.

labeledsk8r
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
whats the milage on this car? could be something with the rings if its been threw alot. but it would do that all the time i would think, i also think if its the valve seals that it would smoke all the time aswell, i had the same problem, but mayby they havent worn out enough to do it full time

VTEC_Inside
10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
My accord went through a few smoking spells. Try a treatment. I used CD2 and it cleared up. My brother had an old jeep comanche that would smoke, he treated Slick 500, cleared it up and idled smoother. He swears by it. I don't know what the general opinion on engine treatments is but they've worked quite well for us. Always check the label to make sure it is safe to use on our cars. Its worth a shot $3 - $60 is alot cheaper than a rebuild.

I'm not a big fan of the "snake" oils although I'm sure many of them are decent short term solutions.

VTEC_Inside
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
whats the milage on this car? could be something with the rings if its been threw alot. but it would do that all the time i would think, i also think if its the valve seals that it would smoke all the time aswell, i had the same problem, but mayby they havent worn out enough to do it full time

The car has 387,000kms on it now, but the engine only has about 270,000kms.

The original engine came out at 270,000kms and wasn't blowing a thing, but the headgasket on that went. One other possibility I have is to have the head from my old engine rebuilt and just do a head swap. I dunno how much that would cost though.

I reason that if the rings were the cause that the car would blow the blues when I floor it.

I appreciate all the responses as usual. I dunno, I may just end up living with it. Its got a driveability issue again now that presented last winter as well. I gotta figure that out before I blow any money on the oil burning issue.

So far I haven't spent enough on it to buy snow tires for the RSX since I got it, so...

labeledsk8r
10-27-2006, 06:11 PM
rebuilding the head yourself should cost much if you got a spare one laying around. just make sure its not warped and if it is get it reserfaced, im not sure on were to get new valves but im sure it wouldnt be to hard, and the vlave gaskets are cheep, hell if you were in the states i would send you my pack of extra ones i have left over (had bought 2 sets but never used the second) shouldnt be to bad if you do the work yourself, and while the heads off just thorw a new head gasket in while your there, good luck

w261w261
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I had a BMW 3 liter from the early 70's, notorious for wearing out the valve guides. My symptoms were exactly like yours, developing over 3 years and about 40k of driving. Finally, when it was pretty cold out, I was too embarrassed to drive the car. It had other issues, but that was the straw...

VTEC_Inside
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Well that sucks. I still may do the valve seals if I can do it cheap.

I'm trying to get in touch with one of the Honda mechanics I know to see if he will do it for me away from the dealership.

shepherd79
10-28-2006, 05:09 AM
i had the same problem with my last car and my current car. they all smoke when it is really cold outside.
On my old car i replaced valve seals twice thinking they got damages or something and it didn't help.
what i found was if i turn my fast idle low around 1200rpm my car doesn't smoke when it is cold.
it is enough for the car to warm up and after that it is good.

VTEC_Inside
10-28-2006, 06:53 AM
i had the same problem with my last car and my current car. they all smoke when it is really cold outside.
On my old car i replaced valve seals twice thinking they got damages or something and it didn't help.
what i found was if i turn my fast idle low around 1200rpm my car doesn't smoke when it is cold.
it is enough for the car to warm up and after that it is good.

Sweet, that was one of the things I was going to try. I'm ok with it smoking a little, it'll blend right in with the condensation. I'm going to try for 1500rpm and go from there.

lostforawhile
10-28-2006, 08:04 AM
mine did this for a little while,my valve stem seals were toast. if they are bad and the car sits overnight,oil will seep down the guides and when you start it up in the morning,smoke. you might have just a little wear in your guides that is aggrevated by the cold weather and it making clearances looser. once the car warms up the clearances go back to normal and no smoke. make sure you get the right seals,the engine rebuilder here had 25 seals listed for this car from 86-89. the wrong one will make it seem it didn't do any good. it's pretty easy for a good mechanic to change those seals,they use an air holding tool,it uses compressed air to hold the valve up while the seal is changed. if you want to do it yourself,there is another trick,take a long piece of thin nylon rope or cord,bring the piston up near top dead center,feed as much of it as you can into the spark plug hole,leave the end hanging out of course,then bring the piston up towards top dead center until you feel resistance,this will hold your valve up,the nylon also won't hurt the piston or cyl head. when you are done back the piston up slightly and pull out the cord. I like this method anyway because you dont have to worry about something happening to your air and the valve ending up in the cyl. you will need a tol to compress the valve spring,and something to pull the old seals off. don't be suprised to see oil under the old seal.

VTEC_Inside
10-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Dropped the fast idle down to 1500rpm on Sunday. Didn't drive the car again till today and wouldn't you know it, its 15c again...