PDA

View Full Version : what mods can u do or have done w/o turbo

hotdoghogie
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
my accord is slow i face that all the time... its an lx-i hatch and i want more power without swapping for now are modding up a rigged turbo...

what mods have u guys done and how have they increaesed... little stuff adds up...

pleez tell me i want to not lose to a lumina again

grinding my cams are already planned and i wanna know the sagnificance...

srry if this is a repost but im sick of no power!~

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 01:52 PM
header, cat, exhaust, s/r or cai, block the egr...didnt people tell u in ur racing story thread?

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 01:55 PM
my hatch is having the same problem...its kinda slow. but im almost done saving up for a rebuild that includes(port & polish, delta cam, new pistons & rings) that should make my hatch pretty quick:)

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 01:57 PM
how much is that gonna run you? u doing it urself cuz i wanna rebuild next summer...

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Well i dont know yet...im thinking less than 2500 hopefully. i have to find a good shop because i dont have a garage to do it myself...it sucks.

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 02:01 PM
same with me, my garage cant be filled up for that long...ima look on craigslist for a mechanic who will let me leave it there and cost like half...as a side-job...and buy the parts myself...

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
hey hotdog, get a rebuild! youll see some power gains!:welcome:

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 02:06 PM
yeah im planning on getting the cam, pistons, rings, water pump, fuel pump, alternator, and fuel injectors myself..that should lower the price alittle. Im also going to have them put my exhaust system in while im at it...i alreasy have a magnaflow muffler and cat....all i need is the headers:)...wow thats gonna cost me alot more...lol

Listen2myBASS
10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
i needa buy my magnaflow muffler, new cat and headers, prolly just some pacesetters...needa get pipes though...hopefully he's an all around mechanic! haha dont feel like going to a muffler shop too...yeah money is gonna see what we're able to do...:thumbdn:

HostileJava
10-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Unfortionately to see good power gains your going to have to dump ALOT of money into the a20 in naturally aspirated form. The best bang for your buck is either turbo, or even cheaper a nitrous setup. I'd recommend going with the standard stuff like Header, Intake, and Exhaust and then look into either a turbo, nitrous, or hell, even both for some nice power gains and the best bang for you buck. Also if you are going turbo I wouldn't bother with the cam regrind, in a turbo setup that can actually hurt performance, unless you plan on swapping the stock camback in.

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 02:13 PM
yeah ill be going with a paceshitter too...lol. After its all done it had to be alot faster than it is now hopefully.

gfrg88
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
id start off with a 272 cam, header, 2.5" exhaust, b16/aftermarket intake manifold, and of course the intake. and some more fuel and maybe even some kind of an afc or something.

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah thats the cam im planning on getting..272 delta cam...i heard this cam is good if your gonna go turbo later.

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
im happy with the power of my 89lx-i maunal...im be happier if i had more mods....im doing adjustable cam gear, K&N filter and teg intake, headers, whole new exhuast 2.25 inch all the way to the tip, bigger TB, AFP, coil, NGK v power spark plugs....i have a b16 victorx mani but im not going to put it on since its too much turble for me.

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
cool...i think if i just did a regular rebuild i would get the horsepower back from when i first got it:)...it was quick back then.

Justin86
10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
first off make up your mind NA, N2O, or Turbo. Go ahead and spend $1000 on I/H/E and NA mods cause when you go turbo all that goes in the trash, money wasted. Turbo motors don't like cams will lots of overlap, where NA does.
I have done everything and all I can say is NA power is too expensive for what you get, N2O is fun but not pratical, boost is the best overall bang for the buck.

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Well since its my daily driver...i think imma go with NA. I dont think a tubo would be a good daily driver.

HostileJava
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
first off make up your mind NA, N2O, or Turbo. Go ahead and spend $1000 on I/H/E and NA mods cause when you go turbo all that goes in the trash, money wasted. Turbo motors don't like cams will lots of overlap, where NA does.

Well the I/H/E isn't really that much of a loss since they can always be parted out and depending on how long it takes him to get his turbo setup together it might be worth it. But I wouldn't go crazy with NA mods if you do plan on going turbo.

Well since its my daily driver...i think imma go with NA. I dont think a tubo would be a good daily driver.

That depends on how much boost you plan on running on it daily. Depending on your setup you could always adjust it for street vs track use.

Jasonf860
10-27-2006, 03:47 PM
grinding my cams are already planned and i wanna know the sagnificance...

I just put in a delta 272....... I have to say that it is THE BEST $83 I ever spent on my car! I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a bit more power especially in the mid-upper range. Seems like the higher the r's go, the more power it makes now.

Edit : yeah 483? what was I smokin?!?!?

gfrg88
10-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I just put in a delta 272....... I have to say that it is THE BEST 483 I ever spent on my car! I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a bit more power especially in the mid-upper range. Seems like the higher the r's go, the more power it makes now.

i think what he meant was this

I just put in a delta 272....... I have to say that it is THE BEST $83 I ever spent on my car! I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a bit more power especially in the mid-upper range. Seems like the higher the r's go, the more power it makes now.

snoopyloopy
10-27-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah, i think it is. i think i might get a cam before i put in my b20a just to see what it feels like. but my auto tranny is already dying with the i/h/e.

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 04:02 PM
oh $82?....cause i was about to saw..WHAT! 482?...lol

Jasonf860
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
yeah, i think it is. i think i might get a cam before i put in my b20a just to see what it feels like. but my auto tranny is already dying with the i/h/e.
best part about the cam is it can be better for your tranny in a sense. The power comes on later in the rpms, farther away from your initial shift point.

MessyHonda
10-27-2006, 04:14 PM
i want a cam now.....jason tell your buddy you need a back up cam...lol say you have the frist ever dohc a20

Versanick
10-27-2006, 04:20 PM
i promise that by spending $1000 on your car, saving it is so much better. you need to have patience. the patience is key. So many kids with d16 civics I see start spending money on n/a mods when all they really need to do is save for a better motor. or a turbo. by the time $2500 is saved, you're already rockin. h22 or turbo. i P R O M I S E that even if it takes you a whole year, you'll be OODLES happier with a turbo. too much 'want it now' isn't going to help you. just sit on the money, and be comfortable that it's going to build to something great.

one of my friends always had the patience and saved literally crap money from his $6/hr job in high school. By the time he was 19, he suddenly was ready to drop $2500 on the ball bearing turbo kit (was a free upgrade for the holidays), and now he runs a blasphemous 21 pounds and creams everyone. Even on the intitial 8-10lb, hearing the blowoff and spool was so much more worth it.

10000x more respect comes to any honda with a huge intercooler visible in the front. people know not to even try to race. But a loud muffler and intake sound? you're setting yourself up to race anything with 130+hp on the road and get your heart broken every time. i still wish i'd saved for a turbo.... and now i finally understand that it'll be worth it.

good luck.

snoopyloopy
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
eh, i don't regret the $$$ i've spent on my car. all told, i've only spent ~$500 in performance upgrades on my car and that's gotten me an intake, dc sports headers, high-flow cat with full 2.25" catback. and that's only the parts i have on the car and that only cost me a total of $365. i have a 4g accord tb to put on ($50), a 2g teg cai to put on ($40 from ebay), 4g accord megan and no name rear lower tie bars i'll probably put on (megan) and sell (no-name). those cost me about $40 each. and that's about it, along with that being just about the extent of mods you can do without getting into the engine itself. when i get my b20a, i'll probably build it up a bit before i drop it in.

and besides, i'm not trying to make my accord a car that will be able to obliterate every vehicle that was ever made. even with a turbo accord, i know it still won't be that fast. i have an eclipse and i know that the same amount of $$$ i've put into my accord will make my eclipse much faster than the accord will ever be. but i keep doing stuff to the accord because it's fun to see how far it will go and how much i get out of it.

Jasonf860
10-27-2006, 05:24 PM
eh, i don't regret the $$$ i've spent on my car. all told, i've only spent ~$500 in performance upgrades on my car and that's gotten me an intake, dc sports headers, high-flow cat with full 2.25" catback. and that's only the parts i have on the car and that only cost me a total of $365. i have a 4g accord tb to put on ($50), a 2g teg cai to put on ($40 from ebay), 4g accord megan and no name rear lower tie bars i'll probably put on (megan) and sell (no-name). those cost me about $40 each. and that's about it, along with that being just about the extent of mods you can do without getting into the engine itself. when i get my b20a, i'll probably build it up a bit before i drop it in.

and besides, i'm not trying to make my accord a car that will be able to obliterate every vehicle that was ever made. even with a turbo accord, i know it still won't be that fast. i have an eclipse and i know that the same amount of $$$ i've put into my accord will make my eclipse much faster than the accord will ever be. but i keep doing stuff to the accord because it's fun to see how far it will go and how much i get out of it.
Amen

Jasonf860
10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
i want a cam now.....jason tell your buddy you need a back up cam...lol say you have the frist ever dohc a20
I was lucky, he had one in stock. if you need a core, I can ship you mine that i already removed....

oldschool3g
10-27-2006, 07:16 PM
i promise that by spending $1000 on your car, saving it is so much better. you need to have patience. the patience is key. So many kids with d16 civics I see start spending money on n/a mods when all they really need to do is save for a better motor. or a turbo. by the time $2500 is saved, you're already rockin. h22 or turbo. i P R O M I S E that even if it takes you a whole year, you'll be OODLES happier with a turbo. too much 'want it now' isn't going to help you. just sit on the money, and be comfortable that it's going to build to something great.

one of my friends always had the patience and saved literally crap money from his $6/hr job in high school. By the time he was 19, he suddenly was ready to drop $2500 on the ball bearing turbo kit (was a free upgrade for the holidays), and now he runs a blasphemous 21 pounds and creams everyone. Even on the intitial 8-10lb, hearing the blowoff and spool was so much more worth it.

10000x more respect comes to any honda with a huge intercooler visible in the front. people know not to even try to race. But a loud muffler and intake sound? you're setting yourself up to race anything with 130+hp on the road and get your heart broken every time. i still wish i'd saved for a turbo.... and now i finally understand that it'll be worth it.

good luck.

You got a point there..saving up would be better...but right now my car is in need of an engine rebuild...thats why i cant go turbo if i wanted to. Or Maybe i should save up to rebuild it and turbo it at the same time;)..hhmmmm

hotdoghogie
10-27-2006, 09:47 PM
crap i go to work and i have so many things to come back to read... i would love to put a turbo in my car but sounds like soo much work... i was gonna put a stock mr2 or saab turbo in it and theres most the work done... upgrading the turbo means just throwing on a new wastegate bov and turbos and some new hoses... i just dont have the garage either... i have the tools and i am makin 600$ a month and have noo bills but to pay for gas... so money is easy for me to save up

i wanted to save up for a civic hatch dohc and make it a project car or a crx since the dirt cheap and fast as crap...

but anyways my engine is perfect in everyway, my car will second gear scratch like a hotrod and i have kept up with a scion Xa before and almost kept up with a chavy lumina but i shifted at 4k not 5k... anyways

a turbo is plenty fast enough for me... wish i had someone experienced to help... how long u think it will take and how much it will lighten up my wallet?

srry i wrote alot