PDA

View Full Version : squealing sound when car starts up

MBussey
10-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, I have an '88 accord lxi. I've had it for a few years now. I've been having this problem where when I start the car up, it makes this high-pitched squealing sound that lasts for a minute or two. It gets worse when it rains and when I haven't started the car for a long time. I don't know much about cars besides the basics, but I'm guessing this has something to do with the timing belt? What could this problem be?

Versanick
10-28-2006, 10:18 PM
timing belt wont squeal. it has teeth. your water pump, alternator, or most espcially power steering pump is prone to a squeal.

i have not even owned one 3g where, on a cold/wet day, the power steering pump didn't squeal. see how hard it is for the steering wheel to turn rapidly while that squealing is happening. it could be that. Turn ur headlights on and see if they dim specifically during the squealing (or un-dim directly as the squealing ends). You should be able to deduce whether it's one of the most likely problems - power steering or alternator.

I'm guessing power steering since it's always been that for me. Including my b20a. The belt for the power steering is smooth (doesn't have teeth to grip), so it doesn't always make a good "grip" on the pulley that turns to 'pump' the power steering fluid. Good luck with your problem. If it's only when wet/cold, let your car warm up before you drive it ( you should anyaway)

take care.

MBussey
10-28-2006, 10:42 PM
thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tailfin
10-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Yeah, mine has an alternator belt that does that pretty bad... On my replacement list.

Make sure you check the condition of the belts too. If they are flimsy, frayed, or just plain older than rock, replace them. The belts on these cars aren't expensive even for a good one. Don't cheap out on the belt either, it does make a difference. Dayco makes good ones. It's also possible that the belt is too loose. Press on the belt in the middle between the pulleys. It should give slightly, but not more than 3/16" or so. If you replace a belt, tighten it so it has just less than that much play so it allows for break-in.

You may also want to spray some belt dressing or silicone spray (basically the same stuff) on the belts to lubricate them, but DO NOT overdo that. If it's doing it all the time and due to the humidity, that's probably not the problem though.

88Accord-DX
10-29-2006, 09:27 AM
More than likely it's your alternator belt. Your alternator has little more load on it after the car sits for a while. (parasitic draw)

You can tighten it up, or replace it & go from there.

LXi87Accord
10-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah, check your alternator belt. Mine did that 6 months ago. It had just got loose. The belt was ok so i didn't replace it till a few weeks ago.

Remedy
10-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Its an accesory belt, look at them and see what kind of shape they are in. Belts stretch a bit over time (from heat) and if you get some squeal its just slippage from a belt that has gotten loose. Belts are cheap, replace them all at once when its time (if you have more than one). Especially if you are paying labor to replace them since getting at one may require removing others in the process and labor is the greater cost. If you want to know which belt squeals, open the hood and start the engine, while its squealing squirt a little soapy water or plain water on the belts one at a time. The noisy/loose one should react with either more noise or momentary silence. I don't like belt dressing becasue its messy and only masks the problem. Anyway tighten the one that reacts. Don't ignore it though, slipping makes the belt hotter and it will fail sooner.
hope this helps

RamThis
10-29-2006, 12:16 PM
If you've had the car for a few years, it's probably time for belts anyway. Look for GoodYear Gatorback belts. These belts kick ass. I had a new basic belt on my alternator that would squeal like a pig on cold startups. The pulleys will slick over after years and years of use and cause trouble with friction between the pulley and the belt. Gatorback belts have grooves molded into them that help the belt grip better. Put that belt on my car and voila, squeal was gone. I had used the same brand belt on my Ram race truck too with the same results. Spinning a V-8 360 nearly 7000 RPM made the belt slip badly and I threw a few belts on my truck, until I got a Gatorback. It's held without any problems since. I dont like Goodyear tires, wouldnt use one for a swing in the front yard, but thier accessory belts are bitchin'.

88Accord-DX
10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Its an accesory belt,
If you want to know which belt squeals, open the hood and start the engine, while its squealing squirt a little soapy water or plain water on the belts one at a time. The noisy/loose one should react with either more noise or momentary silence.
IN parts house words, it's an accesory belt. Another trick is to use some WD-40 (PB Laster) with the red spray stick on it & spray underneath the belt when it hits the pulley.

VTEC_Inside
10-31-2006, 11:24 AM
I had a persistant problem with my alternator belt that culminated with the adjuster bolt through the alternator sheering off and the other various bits flying off the car while I was driving home one day :)

Anyways, have a good look at the alignment of the pulleys. There was a bit of wear in my alternator mounting bracket and that allowed the alternator to sit slightly askew. I can't count how many times I tweaked and tightened that damn thing before the day where it let go.

I finally replaced the alt bracket and the worst I've had since is a little peep during a cold start on a rainy day. I don't have any trouble with the adjuster backing off anymore either.