PDA

View Full Version : Car jerks sometimes after it sat for 6 months

azazel_18_2
10-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Well I got back to driving the 3g. My wife committed blasphemy and went out and bought an 03 Buick Century. The 3g sat for six months but now that piece of crap Buick went back to the dealer. Before my 3g sat it didn't have any problems. It sat with half a tank of fuel. every since I got the car out somtime when you are going down the road and you push the gas pedal the car jolts once real hard then doesn't do it again until you let off the pedal and push it again. It doesn't do this every time though. I put some seafoam cleaner in the gas when I filled up this morning so maybe that will help. It is definately the engine and not the clutch or transmision. It is an 89 EFI model. I'm thinking fuel impurities but I guess we'll see. Any ideas?

Hash_man_Se_i
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Did you put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank before you let it sit?

It could be that the gas has gone bad, and causing your car to run like shit.

shepherd79
10-30-2006, 10:15 AM
probably old fuel, but i would also check the spark plugs, and distributor cap and rotor.

azazel_18_2
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
i did not put fuel stabilizer in it. i know I should have. I am on my thrid tank since I got it out of storage. It didn't get good gas mileage at all with the rest of the six month old gas. My second tank I got about 27mpg. This tank things are looking better except for the jolt. I am hoping the cleaner is all I need to do.

MessyHonda
10-30-2006, 10:24 AM
yeah ....you already tired some seafoam...i would also put it in the intake...by the brake boster line...or a vac line...then change your spark plugs see if that helps.

88Accord-DX
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Try a fuel filter. I'd say a fuel pressure/dump test too.

azazel_18_2
10-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Well, the seafoam must have done the trick because it stopped. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel filter and it reads 38 psi at an idle. That was the best 30 dollars I ever spent on this car. The plugs were JUST changed before I put the car in storage. I also replaced that cap, rotor, and wires at the same time. Everything is looking good so thanks for the help!!!

MessyHonda
10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, the seafoam must have done the trick because it stopped. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel filter and it reads 38 psi at an idle. That was the best 30 dollars I ever spent on this car. The plugs were JUST changed before I put the car in storage. I also replaced that cap, rotor, and wires at the same time. Everything is looking good so thanks for the help!!!

thats good to hear....now take some pics of your car....and post them up...i want to see it.

azazel_18_2
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2289883/
I need to updat the pics a little because now it is clean under the hood.