PDA

View Full Version : Had some door molding clips made...

offthahook
10-31-2006, 12:13 PM
The saga is in the link below. Basically, we all know how Hondas are almost proprietarily engineered from front to back, even things like plastic clips. You just don't go to the hardware store for hardware items on these cars. Everything from the hardware (even an auto store) store is just a little off from the OEM spec. and just doesn't work well. Thanks to Honda DC'ing almost everything, I had some stainless clips made to reattach my door molding. Read all about it!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2166512/13

2ndGenGuy
10-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Man that shit is tight. Once you get those on there and tightened on, you don't have to worry about rattles anymore! Those should stay nice and snug. Just don't over tighten them or you may screw up that sheet metal.

I wouldn't worry too much about any water getting in there either. Those doors are designed to let water drain through. Its where most of the water ends up that runs down your windows anyways.

Nice work!

offthahook
10-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Man that shit is tight. Once you get those on there and tightened on, you don't have to worry about rattles anymore! Those should stay nice and snug. Just don't over tighten them or you may screw up that sheet metal.

I wouldn't worry too much about any water getting in there either. Those doors are designed to let water drain through. Its where most of the water ends up that runs down your windows anyways.

Nice work!

Yeah, I've been rolling sans door panels forever and I see how much water gets in that shell. Going through a car wash is extra fun with no inner door panel. The door has three drain holes at the bottom for that water run out. I made REALLY sure those holes didn't get clogged when I was undercoating. You talk about some rust... let those drain holes clog and have some sitting water in there. I was also careful not to over tighten that molding or else that sheet metal is gonna get f'd up. The clips in the picture are extras for any future clip needs. The molding is on the door itself. I needa get some pics of that. Dude made me like 8 ss clips and welded a refrig. shelf for me for $75. Not bad because I KNOW those clips took awhile and he got them balls on right like the plastic ones. They fit nice and tight in the molding case. He charges like $30/hr. or some mess and works out of his garage. Gotta love that independent weld shop!

79cord
10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Just be carefull not to scratch the paint under your SS clips, they mightn't rust but they can cause ordinary steel to rust -different metals togeather act like a battery & the 'poorer' metal rusts -thats why SS trims often have rubber seals around them to keep the metals apart.

offthahook
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Sho nuff was worried about that. I actually put a shim/bushing pad on the threaded part of the ss clip to prevent the two metals from rusting. Don't know if it will work, but I know that different metals can react with each other and one will rust more. I'm going to keep my eyes on this job for sure. I hardly ever like two metals coming together on body or painted parts. I'm a big fan of gaskets! I waxed the under surface before I put the molding back on; hopefully it's nice and clean (and scratch free).

REn0
10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey man thats coupe is banging! and id usually take a sedan anyday, nice touch,.... back to you.

1ajs
11-01-2006, 01:13 AM
ever tried a computer store?

denhonda
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Mmm. Interesting stuff... read my thoughts on this elsewhere!

offthahook
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
ever tried a computer store?

No. Would a computer store have an assortment of clips that would also work on a car?

1ajs
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
you would be surprized whats the same..

2ndGenGuy
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
you would be surprized whats the same..

I've worked in 2 computer stores, I can't envision what you're talking about. Unless you mean those little clips that hold the motherboard onto the case... I guess they could work for some things, and there's lots of proprietary clips for cases too... They might work in some situations...

Not a bad idea if you wanna get creative. :)

1ajs
11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I've worked in 2 computer stores, I can't envision what you're talking about. Unless you mean those little clips that hold the motherboard onto the case... I guess they could work for some things, and there's lots of proprietary clips for cases too... They might work in some situations...

Not a bad idea if you wanna get creative. :)

yes thats what i was refering to next probly try your nieborhood pac rat :P