PDA

View Full Version : offthahook & door moulding clips - wtf?

denhonda
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I checked out your door mldg clips thread & your cardomain site, offthahook.

I dunno what to say... you are soooo sad! (read on, no offence intended!)

Before I found this site I thought I was the only one in the world who had such a major thing for old Honda's. I used to search the scrapyards almost every weekend for parts (none at all in the yards here these days) & almost throw a party over finding things like genuine Honda rubber mats for the footwells. And I tell you finding not one, but two genuine Honda rubber dash mats still puts a smile on my face!

The fact that I've had several years without Honda's featuring in my daily life is odd on reflection, but I've still held on to the passion & had at least two Accords tucked away for the future. In 2001 I had my '82 restored but only used it for a year as work commitments took over my time & it got laid up after less than a year on the road. Upon seeing a low mileage bargain on ebay in 2003 I started tinkering around with them for a few months but lack of time & interest put them to bed again.

A year ago after seeing my '82 wasting away in the garage I decided it was now or never, so got it back up & running & have used & enjoyed it several times this year! I saw another bargain on ebay recently & got that too, probably TBH to replace the previous ebay one (needs bodywork) but I'm still in two minds about what to do longer term with them all.

So here I am now, well into rekindling my 2g fetish (got 4 of them), checking out ebay for parts, digging out old manuals, brochures & trawling the internet for anything 2g I can find. Thats how I found this site a few months back. On the phone today ordering up parts & figuring out when I can get the time to do work on them.

It seems funny driving the same model of car today that I drove when I first passed my test in '94. Inbetween times I've driven all kinds of more modern machinery but find sitting behind the wheel of an old Accord quite refreshing. Sure they're not the quickest cars on the road but they certainly are good to drive. These days of course they seem to turn heads as they are so rare, which is pretty weird. They are soooo-retro aswell, which is cool.

Anyway, in short, what you've got to do to fit a door moulding amazes me & that cardomain site is wicked! Reading through it all has certainly given me inspiration to do what I need to do & I won't feel such a complete sado doing it either! :cheers:

2ndGenGuy
11-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah his cars are certainly something that most can't touch. He's got 4 Accords. All the first 4 generations. Gotta give him props for taking so much time and keeping them all so clean. Check out his 1g and his 3g as well, and you'll see what I mean. Not sure I've seen his 4g or not, but he says it's clean, so I'm inclined to believe him. :) Any of his cars could be AOM material.

offthahook
11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Man, I may be international soon. Yeah, I kinda enjoy trying to out engineer Honda on some of this stuff. They make everything just a little different, so when it breaks, you're screwed. You have to match their componenets exactly or something will not work right. It's like that on the whole freaking car. I also needed a press weld on a refrigerator welded, so I gave this guy a try. I'll use him in the future for sure if I need some welding. He was slightly into cars and knew how to fabricate stuff, so it was all good. He made the metal clips the same dimensions as the plastic ones, so he was detail oriented.

Man, I feel you on trying to locate parts. I'm in a part of the country where the winters can be bad and the salt is put on the ice. It seems the west and south still have some old Hondas lying around, but they're all gone here in the midwest and east. Plus, it just seems the midwest wasn't on the cutting edge back in the early 80's; it's all GM, Ford, and Dodge around here. Indiana used to have tons of domestic auto manufacturing plants and they are never Jap friendly in their mentality. So, between the few rebels who bought Hondas and the rust issue, I have to go out of state to even find a car like my 81 or 84. People buy Hondas and Toyotas all day now, but it wasn't like that back in the day. Just a little more of a challenge to find parts!

I'll get a cardomain site up sometime with my 92 Accord. It's nothing spectacular since you still see a ton of them around. It is clean and stock though. I found one exactly like it on aututrader. Mine has tint, but is exactly the same.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/6/20/203/030/615357001.203030360.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

All the photos of my 92 are on another computer. So, denhonda, I'm glad you're getting things done on your old Accords. I love finding the OEM accessories just like you do. Floor mats are sweet because they are so rare. Keep us updated on your projects and stories about finding bits and pieces.

2ndGenGuy
11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Man the Accords have always been so ahead of thier time as far as style. I think you could park the 4th gen on a lot and call it a 2007, and it would not look outdated. Damn that is a nice car (I know that one isn't yours specifically, but I know it looks as good if not better).