PDA

View Full Version : need little help :)

accord89carb
11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
i want to install new exhaust manifold heat shield but the bolts in my manifold are gone fully rusted i like to know what is the way to open the bolts or if i cant open is there anyway to brake the bolt myself without light.is it easy to drill?or the bolts are very solid?

MessyHonda
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
use some penetrating oil...like PB blaster..they should sell it at any autoparts store.

ghettogeddy
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
if that dosent work craftsman make a good bolt out set i had to do the same thing when doing the oil pan one of the exaust pipe bolts was frozen

Listen2myBASS
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
or just heat or cut em off

shepherd79
11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
you can heat them and try to remove it very easy.

accord89carb
11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
thing is i dont have gas system to open the bolts is there anyway to open the same bolt or if i break is it easy to drill and make new thrad?

Jasonf860
11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
To drill and tap new threads you'd probably have to remove the manifold. Not much room in there to get a drill in. Mine were rusty too and they came out very easily. I'd say try some PB Blaster, Deep Creep, K'nocker Loose, or some other penetrating oil. Soak them good and let them sit for 1/2 hour or more to let the oil penetrate. Just remember that once you get it all back together, all that penetrating oil will smoke like crazy when your manifold starts heating up.

smufguy
11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
i don't know why you would like to use the heat shield, but if you like you can just unbolt it, if they break, drill and re-tap the holes if you would like.

PS: If nothing works, metal hose clamps always do the job right :D

accord89carb
11-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys for giving idea i will try:D

shepherd79
11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
you can always take the car on a high rpm drive.
let the manifold get really hot and try removing when they are hot.

lostforawhile
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
those dam bolts are almost impossible to get out,tried everything,finally got another manifold from a JY I needed those to hold up my purple aluminum brackets for the AC and PS hoses. :) I still have a manifold here with busted off bolts in it. really the best way to get those out is to clamp it to a bridgeport mill and drill them straight out,then helicoil or just tap for a bigger bolt and drill the holes in the heat shied bigger. if you have them drilled out,let a shop replace the lower three studs too. they have a habit of stripping out. if they do the manifold will have to be removed to fix them. studs and bolts in cast iron manifolds should have their own designated cuss words. oh,if you get them out,put in studs,if you use a nut with a lockwasher and a little antisieze they will never give you a problem again.

88Accord-DX
11-02-2006, 06:39 PM
EDIT-6 point socket, PB Laster, maybe small butane torch.

accord89carb
11-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks alot guys i will try.thanks for info

2oodoor
11-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Thanks alot guys i will try.thanks for info
I have one in great shape how much you give me for it?
For all the trouble, your better off taking your pb blaster and 12 mm gearwrench and socket with one inch extension and 4 inch extension and go to local pull it yourself junkyard.
I will sell you mine for ten buck plus you pay shippping, that sucker is heavy so it would be better for you to get on from the jy.
Any of you guys who responded live near accord89carb, and have header on your car, and dont need the manifold or heat shield, hook the man up yaw...

the only fasteners I had trouble with on mine was one of the 14mm on the downpipe wrung off the head so I tryed hammering on a el cheapo socket one size smalller and tryed it , usually that works but not on this one ,it just rolled off. To get it off I cut it with the death grinder. 5inch sidegrinder with guard taken off and a 8 inch stone cuttoff wheel mounted on it. It works good on exhaust pipes, but keep your face away from it and wear gloves...if anybody is crazy enough to make one up like that one I did. always check the condition of the wheel before you turn it on, if it has been damaged 20,000 rpm will shoot it off like grenade shrapnel

VTEC_Inside
11-04-2006, 06:51 AM
you can always take the car on a high rpm drive.
let the manifold get really hot and try removing when they are hot.

Thats what I'd do.

Have a set of extractor sockets handy just cause of the rusty heads though.

accord89carb
11-08-2006, 08:13 AM
hello guys i bought the extractor socket i maked hot the engine and i sprayed the bolts with wd 40 when i tryed to open the bolt broke so tell me what should i do know?:D

Jasonf860
11-08-2006, 08:27 AM
get a new heat shield, if you can get both bolts out, broken or not, Put the new shield in, use hose clamps to secure it. Just my .o2

88Accord-DX
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Without pulling the header off, it would take a 90 degree drill to drill the bolt out & re-tapp the threads or heli-coil it. The bolt preperation is critical, hitting the middle with a punch with the bolt squared off. New drill bits while using PB Laster on it makes the process faster & bits last longer. Good luck...

If it is too much trouble, the hell with the heat shield.

AccordB20A
11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
good good your problems solved. as i said in another thread... the angle grinder is your friend. shields suck face and should be chopped out and never re-installed:)

smufguy
11-09-2006, 06:52 AM
good good your problems solved. as i said in another thread... the angle grinder is your friend. shields suck face and should be chopped out and never re-installed:)

Amen, Amen and Amen.

PS: Like i mentioned above, why the struggle to get the heat shield back up?

accord89carb
11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
well guys i bought heat shield from ebay for 50$ used one but good condition
i was having problem with my car with accleration was going high and smell of the fuel was coming so yesterday i install the shield not my car is working perfectly well some people here they dont know what exhaust manifold heat shield for i am talking the one which have pipe which connect in aircleaner.go at this site and read this ...
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl271.htm

lostforawhile
11-12-2006, 05:44 PM
do you mean you paid 50 bucks for the little tin heat shield,or the manifold? if you paid 50 bucks for the heat shield itself you got screwed big time. I could see that for a manifold. why would you need to replace the heat shield anyway? it just has holes for the bolts,if the bolts break it comes off. If you needed a heat shield I would have given you one,I have a bunch of them around here somewhere. if you have a manifold off the car ready to put on,take it to a machine shop and have the three studs on the downpipe replaced. it's worth the money. they will almost always strip sometime in the future. they will break when you try to remove them, a good automotive machine shop can get them out easy. it'll save you a lot of time and aggrevation later. if you can find them put in stainless studs,or put in metric stainless bolts and cut the heads off. these will be far likely less to freeze on the nut threads later. also use lockwashers on the nuts and use antisieve on the threads. ARP also sells the studs that will fit in there,they are much higher quality then hardware store studs and less likely to break.

shepherd79
11-12-2006, 08:10 PM
dude you got owned. I can get heat shilds at junk yard for less than $5.

88Accord-DX
11-12-2006, 08:15 PM

MessyHonda
11-12-2006, 08:22 PM
our high performance headers like DC, SS, and pacesetter doent use heatshelds...

accord89carb
11-12-2006, 09:36 PM
well stop bullshiting man ...lol when i was looking and ask 1000 times in this site no body replied me now when i bought it now you people are saying that you have lots of and will give for 5$ lol anyway its exhaust manifold heat shield there are 2 type of shield one comes with pipe and one comes without pipe the one i have is with the pipe and i asked from honda dealers they were selling for 79$ plus tax i am from canada montreal i asked lots of junkyards they didnt had so i looked at ebay some one was selling for 35 us$ with the shipping i got it for 50 anyway i dont care if i got expancive now i am happy that my car is working good and onething more lots of people still dont know what is the work of exhaust manifold heat shield.so i reapet again who ever have accord with carbrator go in this site and read this http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl271.htm

there were lots of people who doesnt know was saying to dont install the exhaust manifold heat shield well the company install this part for some reason and now i know this control the vacium,carbrator,accleration and auto choke.and onething more this is good for the cold country like canada montreal.and ddude2uc my car is in great condition i dont want my car look like trash made like u said wrap some aluminum foil aroud it...lol anyway thanks for other idea i did drill and removed the bolts.

anyways guys thanks for the help.have a great i be back need to ask more questions :D

88Accord-DX
11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
I was shooting the shit about foil. If you need any advice on anything. Shoot me a P.M., I work on cars all day long. :)

accord89carb
11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks ddude 2uc do you work in car workshop or you fix cars at home as a hoby?

88Accord-DX
11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks ddude 2uc do you work in car workshop or you fix cars at home as a hoby?
I work at a dealership.

accord89carb
11-15-2006, 06:43 AM
hello guys in morning my car is having problem.like when i park my car out in cold car starts but make noice like when you remove one plug wire from the plug like missing and when i acclerate the car give black smoke i checked the wire they are fixed when the car get warm it become normal and when i park my car in my garage the temprature is normal there not cold so the car start good please can any1 tell me what is it and why its doing like that?

MessyHonda
11-15-2006, 08:52 AM
black smoke means you are running rich...when was the last time you did a tune up?

VTEC_Inside
11-15-2006, 09:04 AM
hello guys in morning my car is having problem.like when i park my car out in cold car starts but make noice like when you remove one plug wire from the plug like missing and when i acclerate the car give black smoke i checked the wire they are fixed when the car get warm it become normal and when i park my car in my garage the temprature is normal there not cold so the car start good please can any1 tell me what is it and why its doing like that?

I'd put money on it being a problem with the choke. More specifically the choke puller not operating.

2oodoor
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
well stop bullshiting man ...lol when i was looking and ask 1000 times in this site no body replied me now when i bought it now you people are saying that you have lots of and will give for 5$ lol anyway its exhaust manifold heat shield there are 2 type of shield one comes with pipe and one comes without pipe the one i have is with the pipe and i asked from honda dealers they were selling for 79$ plus tax i am from canada montreal i asked lots of junkyards they didnt had so i looked at ebay some one was selling for 35 us$ with the shipping i got it for 50 anyway i dont care if i got expancive now i am happy that my car is working good and onething more lots of people still dont know what is the work of exhaust manifold heat shield.so i reapet again who ever have accord with carbrator go in this site and read this http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl271.htm
there were lots of people who doesnt know was saying to dont install the exhaust manifold heat shield well the company install this part for some reason and now i know this control the vacium,carbrator,accleration and auto choke.and onething more this is good for the cold country like canada montreal.and ddude2uc my car is in great condition i dont want my car look like trash made like u said wrap some aluminum foil aroud it...lol anyway thanks for other idea i did drill and removed the bolts.
anyways guys thanks for the help.have a great i be back need to ask more questions :D
Well mr. I replyed to you way back last month and offerred you the whole manifold with heat sheild , go back and look. whollly donkey wood man
Yep if your carbed, you have an experience to go thru with choke problems that everybody here who has carbed cars must have experienced as well SO LOOK SEARCH FORUMS, the kind folks here at 3geez have spent a lot of time and effort to provide this information textbook style for your convienience. There really is not a quick answer, but wait, last time I said that guess who chimed in with help, are we paying attention? Im very sorry you had to pay so much for that part, and true I have one in my carport going to throw away most likely, I figured you had a solution, I would have given it to you if yo paid shipping.. ouch....I also I dont understand exactly why you HAVE to have one, unless you live in extreme hot temps, it serves to keep heat away from your electronics and and upper engine, for cold temps you can get hot air from just leaving the hot air duct by the manifold with a wire hangar of some sort.

lostforawhile
11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Well mr. I replyed to you way back last month and offerred you the whole manifold with heat sheild , go back and look. whollly donkey wood man
Yep if your carbed, you have an experience to go thru with choke problems that everybody here who has carbed cars must have experienced as well SO LOOK SEARCH FORUMS, the kind folks here at 3geez have spent a lot of time and effort to provide this information textbook style for your convienience. There really is not a quick answer, but wait, last time I said that guess who chimed in with help, are we paying attention? Im very sorry you had to pay so much for that part, and true I have one in my carport going to throw away most likely, I figured you had a solution, I would have given it to you if yo paid shipping.. ouch....I also I dont understand exactly why you HAVE to have one, unless you live in extreme hot temps, it serves to keep heat away from your electronics and and upper engine, for cold temps you can get hot air from just leaving the hot air duct by the manifold with a wire hangar of some sort.the purpose of the hot air system is to keep the temp at the carb constant at 100 degrees. when the air temp in the air cleaner is below that,vaccume is applied to the air door motor and lifts up the air door blocking off air coming into the aircleaner through the duct to outside. when the airdoor is closed air is routed from around the exaust manifold into the air cleaner. there is a bimetalic thermostatic air bleed in the air cleaner,when the temp is correct it bleeds off vaccume to the air door motor allowing outside air in to the aircleaner. this thermostatic air control keeps the temp at a constant. in the summer you really don't need it,but in the winter that warm air helps keep down the incidence of carburator ice. carb ice is formed not just in the winter time but can be formed up to 60 degrees outside air temp,depending on the humidity. this is caused because as the air moves through the venturi of the carb,it increases in speed and it gives up heat. I can't remember the exact temp drop but I believe it's up to 30 degrees cooler then the outside air. it depends on air velocity etc. this can cause ice crystals to form on the surfaces inside of the venturi. this can block the jets and cause the car to stall. this will often happen after having been at cruise for a while then going to idle. the surfaces in the carb are so cold ice instantly forms. in addition to the heated air,our cars use a heated carb base plate,coolant through the carb itself,and a heated intake manifold. in case anyone asks it's the same thing as carb ice in airplanes. and fuel injected cars don't have venturies so don't suffer from the same thing

Jasonf860
11-15-2006, 02:59 PM
I had the same problem. I'd almost garantee it's the choke pull-off. like $40 at majestic. I'd try a JY or do the silicone trick.

Ichiban
11-15-2006, 10:53 PM
this is caused because as the air moves through the venturi of the carb,it increases in speed and it gives up heat. I can't remember the exact temp drop but I believe it's up to 30 degrees cooler then the outside air. it depends on air velocity etc. this can cause ice crystals to form on the surfaces inside of the venturi. this can block the jets and cause the car to stall.

The fuel that is changing phase from a liquid to a gas in the venturi is responsible for the temperature drop. This is the principle behind refrigeration, right? Ever spill gas on your hands and it feels cold as it evaporates? When carbs freeze, the ambient air is usually above 0 C, and very moist, however the evaporating fuel drops the temperature of the jets and venturies to far below 0. The water in the air precipitates out as ice, blocking the air flow around/through the jet/venturi and chokes out the engine.

In this guy's case, I think his choke is staying on too long/much.

lostforawhile
11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
The fuel that is changing phase from a liquid to a gas in the venturi is responsible for the temperature drop. This is the principle behind refrigeration, right? Ever spill gas on your hands and it feels cold as it evaporates? When carbs freeze, the ambient air is usually above 0 C, and very moist, however the evaporating fuel drops the temperature of the jets and venturies to far below 0. The water in the air precipitates out as ice, blocking the air flow around/through the jet/venturi and chokes out the engine.
In this guy's case, I think his choke is staying on too long/much.I agree I was just explaining the reason behind the hot air system. I have built a system to duct air in through a hot air door mounted on the shroud itself,up to my cold air intake,this is just for carb icing conditions.

Jasonf860
11-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree I was just explaining the reason behind the hot air system. I have built a system to duct air in through a hot air door mounted on the shroud itself,up to my cold air intake,this is just for carb icing conditions.
Got any pics? i was thinking of doing the same thing but couldn't figure on the filtering of said hot air.

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 04:02 AM
i checked when i start the car in cold the automatic choke butterfly doesnt open it open when the car get warm and i checked the choke pull-off the diaphram inside is in good shape.i dont understand why the choke butterfly is not opening in cold when i start the car and i think because of that the car is giving black smoke.Jasonf860 i will try like you said that the choke could be sticking and clean with the carb cleaner then wd40 i will check i hope that will work if it didnt what you guys think what it could be.

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Messyhonda i bought the car for winter 3 month ago and i didnt did any tune up before the car was good since the weather changed become cold the car start having problem in hot weather the fuel good too now when i put the fuel for 20$ it only goes 100 km so right now the car is sucking lots of gas.

MessyHonda
11-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Messyhonda i bought the car for winter 3 month ago and i didnt did any tune up before the car was good since the weather changed become cold the car start having problem in hot weather the fuel good too now when i put the fuel for 20$ it only goes 100 km so right now the car is sucking lots of gas.

thats good to knoe....hope you can finish working out the lil problem so you can have a reliable car. :thumbup:

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 08:34 AM
lol... thanks well next time i will be careful i will never buy carb again lol

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
hello iam going to buy new spark plug wires will it make any diffrence?the wire in my car are old look like very old.

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
hi jasonf860 you were right today i open the pull choke off again and i saw from inside there was a hole in diaphram now i will put the silicon like you said.i am 100% sure my car problem is solved now.:D Thanks alot guys thanks for the help.

MessyHonda
11-17-2006, 05:12 PM
hello iam going to buy new spark plug wires will it make any diffrence?the wire in my car are old look like very old.

NGK wires are one of the best choice for out cars.

accord89carb
11-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks messy i will buy NGK wires.i like to know is it easy to tune the carb?

smufguy
11-18-2006, 07:46 AM

not much, but the plugs would and so will the cap and rotor, but the wire alone, unless they were frayed, then no you wont see much of a difference.

lostforawhile
11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
hi jasonf860 you were right today i open the pull choke off again and i saw from inside there was a hole in diaphram now i will put the silicon like you said.i am 100% sure my car problem is solved now.:D Thanks alot guys thanks for the help.
best investment you can make is a hand vaccume pump with a gauge,and a vaccume/fuel pressure gauge. as far as the carb being easy to tune.......:bowrofl: :banghead: :burn:

lostforawhile
11-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Got any pics? i was thinking of doing the same thing but couldn't figure on the filtering of said hot air.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p40f1f152ae2eb7fa8d99e9575c47365f/ec18f635.jpg
I've got some more on here somewhere

Jasonf860
11-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, I see how you ran it, no need for more pics. That looks really clean too!

lostforawhile
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
did that picture show up for you? it won't show up on my screen for some reason. wierd because it shows up on another thread.
ok lets see if these show up
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/pc55e812de0ca78ff59d19d9a20adde7f/ec32b4ea.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p1da8c2f90a353f076c294bc423f3dfa4/ec32b4dc.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p5a9fac97e0190f45dc52150a46c78686/ec32b4d1.jpg