PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations when accelerating

Toneloc5145
11-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I never noticed how much vibration occurs in my car until i rode in my brothers car today. When I accelerate hard, I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel. I t drives smoothly when on the highway, but accelerating, it feels like the engine is vibrating alot. I think its the motor mounts but I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem and how they fixed it.

Also, when I'm in reverse, and i try to back up, I'll ride the clutch a little to get the car moving and then push it back in. When I push it back in, I feel and hear a big "SLAM". I think this has something to do with the vibration also. That started when we changed the clutch about a year ago, I never got to fix it, but I think its time to fix that because it doesn't sound like its good for the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Toneloc5145
11-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Now that I think about it, it vibrates at idle, maybe more than it should. Its definately not as smooth as my brothers car.

The car is a '89 LX (carb) 5-speed btw.

russiankid
11-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Now that I think about it, it vibrates at idle, maybe more than it should. Its definately not as smooth as my brothers car.
The car is a '89 LX (carb) 5-speed btw.Sounds like the engine mounts.

2oodoor
11-03-2006, 06:07 PM
motor mounts , or check out your exhaust routing and hangars too,

ChaseR
11-03-2006, 06:14 PM
that is for sure the motor mounts, I had the same issue before.

Toneloc5145
11-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. I suspected it was the motor mounts also, but I just wanted a second opinion before I go out and spend money on them. I think the rear mount is the one that is broken and causing the vibration. The reason why is because when we were putting the car back together after changing the clutch, we had a hell of a hard time putting the dogbone mount back on because the holes would not line up. I think this was caused by the rear bottom mount being broken. I looked at the front oil filled one and it looked fine to me. None of the oil was dripping out or anything.

Anyways, I plan on changing the bottom rear mount tomorrow and I will update you guys on whether or not that changed anything. I'm not going to buy all of the mounts because I believe that just the back mount is bad.

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
yup....happen to my car also....replaced all motor mounts...and it felt like a high end car cuz you could not feel the engine. to bad they dont make polymounts for us.

Toneloc5145
11-03-2006, 09:59 PM
When you guys say you had the same problem, are you talking about the vibration at idle and when accelerating or are you talking about the "SLAM" that the transmission does?

I did an experiment tonight. I used the ebrake to hold the car then tried to drive forward in 1st and the car didnt make the "SLAM" sound. I then put it in reverse and did the same thing, and I had my hand on the shifter and I could feel the transmission lifting up. When i pushed in the clutch after doing the reverse thing, the transmission slammed down. Which mount do you think causes that?

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 10:58 PM
When you guys say you had the same problem, are you talking about the vibration at idle and when accelerating or are you talking about the "SLAM" that the transmission does?
I did an experiment tonight. I used the ebrake to hold the car then tried to drive forward in 1st and the car didnt make the "SLAM" sound. I then put it in reverse and did the same thing, and I had my hand on the shifter and I could feel the transmission lifting up. When i pushed in the clutch after doing the reverse thing, the transmission slammed down. Which mount do you think causes that?

mine was during idle....it got so bad the whole care would shake...not even puting it in nutral worked...Mine was auto tho. the carb helped cause it i bet.

Toneloc5145
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
WOOT! Well I changed the rear bottom mount like I said I would today. I found out why my car made that SLAM sound. Come to find out, the bracket that connects the rear motor mount to the transmission bell housing was not even connected fully. The only part of the bracket that was connected was the one bolt connecting it to the motor mount; it wasn't bolted to the bell housing at all.

On top of that, the bracket that connects the motor mount on the longitudinal cross-member (the one parallel the the frame of the car) was not connected to anything, so that motor mount was not being put to use. The bracket was just hanging there, and thankfully I saw that before I lost the bracket.

The rear mount was "sagging", but other than that, it wasn't in too bad of shape. It was the original SEO one.

But man, this car drives so smooth and quiet now. There is no vibration at idle or accelerating anymore, and even with the A/C on, the vibration is less than it used to be without the A/C on. The clutch feels smoother and easier to modulate, and the shifter feels more solid. It drives like I would imagine it would have when it was new. I am so glad I did this.

MessyHonda
11-04-2006, 07:07 PM
WOOT! Well I changed the rear bottom mount like I said I would today. I found out why my car made that SLAM sound. Come to find out, the bracket that connects the rear motor mount to the transmission bell housing was not even connected fully. The only part of the bracket that was connected was the one bolt connecting it to the motor mount; it wasn't bolted to the bell housing at all.
On top of that, the bracket that connects the motor mount on the longitudinal cross-member (the one parallel the the frame of the car) was not connected to anything, so that motor mount was not being put to use. The bracket was just hanging there, and thankfully I saw that before I lost the bracket.
The rear mount was "sagging", but other than that, it wasn't in too bad of shape. It was the original SEO one.
But man, this car drives so smooth and quiet now. There is no vibration at idle or accelerating anymore, and even with the A/C on, the vibration is less than it used to be without the A/C on. The clutch feels smoother and easier to modulate, and the shifter feels more solid. It drives like I would imagine it would have when it was new. I am so glad I did this.

wow....i wish all stuff was like....sounds like a easy fix. :thumbup:

2oodoor
11-05-2006, 08:43 AM
It all sounds easy on 'paper'

changing motor mounts is one of the dirtiest jobs under the hood of any car, esp and oil slinging A20, :gun:
that reminded me I noticed some bolts missing from one of my mount to frame,,,, thanks to me for reading this....:huh:
With carbed cars, there is such a fine window of perfect tune that these things wont shake a litte in drive at the red light. you should be at 999 rpm in drive at idle.. lol
My car bumps pretty good when shifting , with automatics, the type of fluid you use majorly affects the shifting, on any pre millenium HOnda. they , say use honda atf and you get smoothest shift, but there was a few other brands compatable that produced granny shifts too.not sure which ones they are now cause all of the companys have changed around, so much..