PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

russiankid
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I keep watching videos of people revving there stock engines to 5k, sometimes even higher. Then i see people on the street do the same. Im just curious isnt that bad? I only rev to 2900 at most. Im thinking anything higher then 4k is bad?Then again i also think 4k is bad. Im just curious, im not going to do this because im to afraid to harm the engine.

lostforawhile
11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
thats not even near redline,these are hondas,they are happy to run high rpms. you can run one of these through the gears to redline and it won't hurt it a bit. I've been working on them for years and have yet to see one blow up as long as you don't overrev it. usually if an engine throws a rod or something,it already had a problem to begin with. these are tough motors.

russiankid
11-03-2006, 04:55 PM
thats not even near redline,these are hondas,they are happy to run high rpms. you can run one of these through the gears to redline and it won't hurt it a bit. I've been working on them for years and have yet to see one blow up as long as you don't overrev it. usually if an engine throws a rod or something,it already had a problem to begin with. these are tough motors.I still have a fear of going over 3k:welcome:

russiankid
11-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Lets put it this way, i dont want to go over 3k on an engine with 143,xxx miles.

lostforawhile
11-03-2006, 05:04 PM
thats just broken in, shoot I have a lot more miles then that and i'm not afraid to do a full redline pull through the gears down the taxiway here. I guess it depends on how well you know your engine,I've gone through this engine from top to bottom,i know the head is good,the valve train is good,it had good compression,excellent oil pressure,new timing belt etc. these are some of the toughest engines ever made by honda. using the rpms you are running you aren't even reaching maxium torque or horsepower,

russiankid
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
thats just broken in, shoot I have a lot more miles then that and i'm not afraid to do a full redline pull through the gears down the taxiway here. I guess it depends on how well you know your engine,I've gone through this engine from top to bottom,i know the head is good,the valve train is good,it had good compression,excellent oil pressure,new timing belt etc. these are some of the toughest engines ever made by honda. using the rpms you are running you aren't even reaching maxium torque or horsepower,
I trust this car, considering my brother had done alot of work to it. Valves have been adjusted, new timing belt, oil pressure should be good. The carb has been tooken off and cleaned out and inspected for any problems. New axles put in, the whole cooling system is new. I trust it but jsut scared for some odd reason, i jsut have that gut feeling where if i do this then it will reduce the engines life.:wtf:

Toneloc5145
11-03-2006, 05:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with taking the car to redline every now and then. My car has 120,000 miles and I remember my parents revving the car high. That being said, its whole life, this car has been driven like that, and it runs perfecly. It just vibrates like a mother. LOL.:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, 140,000 isn't that many miles if the car has been taken care of. My dad had a Infiniti Q45 with 260,000 miles and he still revved it high. Just don't do it all of the time, and the car will be fine.

russiankid
11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with taking the car to redline every now and then. My car has 120,000 miles and I remember my parents revving the car high. That being said, its whole life, this car has been driven like that, and it runs perfecly. It just vibrates like a mother. LOL.:lol: :lol:
Seriously though, 140,000 isn't that many miles if the car has been taken care of. My dad had a Infiniti Q45 with 260,000 miles and he still revved it high. Just don't do it all of the time, and the car will be fine.:lol: im just wondering what happens. Im not planning on doing it tho.

Oldblueaccord
11-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Lets put it this way, i dont want to go over 3k on an engine with 143,xxx miles.

go for IT (edit) baby and never look back. :tongue:

I ran mine right off the red line for 3 hours going thru montana. 300 miles in 3 hours and I stopped for a splash of gas right before the ND border. its had prolly 180k on it then and I got 271k this week.

wp

russiankid
11-03-2006, 07:49 PM
go for baby and never look back. :tongue:
I ran mine right off the red line for 3 hours going thru montana. 300 miles in 3 hours and I stopped for a splash of gas right before the ND border. its had prolly 180k on it then and I got 271k this week.
wp
:lol:

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
well on my lx-i I have an adjustable cam gear so i dont get power till the higher RPMs and i like the feel of it just pulling hard.....i have reved my car over redline...the rev limiter kicks in.:uh:....anyways i say its good to rev the engine till the torque drops....our max torque is 4k so i like to rev up to that. on my automatic i do some 5800RPM runs in 2nd gear.....but yeah 4k FTW

alboy86
11-03-2006, 09:09 PM
i push my little beast to redline pretty often on the freeway i have to if i wanna pass someone going 80 to 90 mph my dad changed the oil every 3,000 miles since it was new never took it in to any oil change plaace i hate them, they over tighten the bolts so you cant get them off then when ya do the threads are all fubared.

stat1K
11-03-2006, 09:16 PM
i rev to 5500 all the time and i have 197000 miles. it's still doing fine. 3k is like barely a brisk walk.

frantik
11-03-2006, 10:05 PM
yeah i'm usually around 3000 just cruising on at like 80 on the freeway

around 5000 is where i notice torque starts to drop off so thats usually as far as i push it

alboy86
11-03-2006, 10:08 PM
same here 5500 is where i let off after that power goes byebye

88Accord-DX
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
The only downfall on reving your RPMs at such a high rate is the risk of spinning rod bearings mainly. (edit) I'm talking over 5k plus.

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
The only downfall on reving your RPMs at such a high rate is the risk of spinning rod bearings mainly. (edit) I'm talking over 5k plus.

ok....TIME to adjust my timing gear....it was like ment for 7k RPM i swear it pulls hard to readline....il see if i can adjust it tomorrow afternoon...then il get back here...plus i want low end.lol

BITESIZE
11-03-2006, 11:08 PM
<-----297,000 miles, and I rev the shit out of it!

87preludeA20A3
11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
wow 297,000 nice... i went to 260,000 and rebuilt her. But yeah same with my lude i rev it to 5000-5500 all day long. Both new and old motor that is. Never had a single problem.

MECM
11-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Hell rev all you want I guess is the answer. lol.

ZackieDarko
11-04-2006, 02:02 AM
mine says 236K but the spedo hasnt worked must at all in almost 2 years so who knows...and i rev that bitch to 5K every day :-p

Civic Accord Honda
11-04-2006, 03:02 AM
i red line alot
iv have evan redlined a 82 accord for 30mins going up deathvalley and it had 289xxx miles on it
and i used to redline my geo metro 3cyl with over 300000 miles on it
just red line it it wont hurt

ghettogeddy
11-04-2006, 03:08 AM
i red line alot

those are the famouse words of cah

russiankid
11-04-2006, 06:31 AM
those are the famouse words of cahlol...im not going to rev it anyways im just curious.

MessyHonda
11-04-2006, 09:41 AM
lol...im not going to rev it anyways im just curious.

if you want to stay safe to go 4k...its like right in the middle so its easy..lol

denhonda
11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I don't redline my cars, I leave that stuff for the boyracers & personally I wouldn't want a car that had had the arse kicked out of it all the time. I do however use the rev range on any car if I know its in good order. I keep below 2000rpm where possible on a cold engine (under 15mins of running) but thereafter it daily sees 4000rpm. Several times a week it'll see 5000 to 6500rpm to keep everything as it should be.

You'll probably be doing more damage to the engine by not letting it run its rev range. The engine must be labouring a lot of the time which is seriously bad & will ultimately shorten its life - its performance will get grim too.

My EXR seems really lethargic as it wasn't used enough (1000 miles in the last 6 years) but I'm holding off giving it a fast run until its been checked & serviced. My old '85 used to get booted all the time when I was young & it was fast-ish & ran a minter. Got 120mph out of it once, according to the speedo! Only 143k miles before the body fell apart round it.

To sum up, you don't have to kill the car but DO give the engine some exercise!

Legend_master
11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Dude I am sorry to say this, but don't be a Pansy. The reason there is a redline is to tell you what not to rev past. I took my motor with over 286K to redline daily. I personally was trying to see how hard I could drive it before it would die (cause I was preparing for a motor swap) and it never did. That thing ran like a champ untill the day of the swap. Now with my new motor I rev to 8K with no problems. I'm sure if you drove around at redline 24/7 the car would suffer, but driving hard occasionally will not hurt it. Im mean damn, it a Honda they dont even make power untill later in the RPM's

russiankid
11-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Dude I am sorry to say this, but don't be a Pansy. The reason there is a redline is to tell you what not to rev past. I took my motor with over 286K to redline daily. I personally was trying to see how hard I could drive it before it would die (cause I was preparing for a motor swap) and it never did. That thing ran like a champ untill the day of the swap. Now with my new motor I rev to 8K with no problems. I'm sure if you drove around at redline 24/7 the car would suffer, but driving hard occasionally will not hurt it. Im mean damn, it a Honda they dont even make power untill later in the RPM's
I guess i've been into rc to much. In rc engines wear down after a while and need rebuilds, i guess its the opposite in cars.

Legend_master
11-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I guess i've been into rc to much. In rc engines wear down after a while and need rebuilds, i guess its the opposite in cars.

well everything wears down over time, but cars (especially
Honda's) are built to last for hundreds of thousands of miles. BTW I re-read my post and I just wanted to let you know I was night trying to be an ass or anything.

russiankid
11-04-2006, 06:27 PM
well everything wears down over time, but cars (especially
Honda's) are built to last for hundreds of thousands of miles. BTW I re-read my post and I just wanted to let you know I was night trying to be an ass or anything.
Oh i know you werent.

forrest89sei
11-06-2006, 10:10 PM
i red line alot
iv have evan redlined a 82 accord for 30mins going up deathvalley and it had 289xxx miles on it
and i used to redline my geo metro 3cyl with over 300000 miles on it

LOL!

snoopyloopy
11-06-2006, 11:26 PM
1989 lx-i with 229.5k miles and i just ~redlined it about an hour and a half ago on the way home for probably the fourth or fifth time today. it's almost as if my day isn't complete without a romp to the redline at least two or three times. my i/h/e set-up has moved the powerband a bit higher than stock, so my car is still pulling at redline. (i even chirped the tires into 3rd once. my car is auto.) never had it rebuilt as far as i can tell. new t-belt at 212k when i first inherited it and some other things too, though i don't exactly remember what was done to it then. since i've had it, oil change every 3k miles and some new spark plugs.

87lxiaccord
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
i used to be scared to redline it too i did it once with my mom in the car and haven't done it since but i do go up to 5000 almost everday i hit second gear rubber for the first time today lol sometimes its good to rev up high just to clear the engine out

Blkblurr
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I've got 250K miles on mine and rev mine to the redline quite often when I'm passing someone. I also have an S2000 and it's redline is 9000. I go near 9000 often as well. Hondas are made to do this. If you got it, use it.