PDA

View Full Version : Backup Q's? In light of recent problems...

2ndGenGuy
11-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I was just curious what the backup setup was for the site? Does someone download backups of the site perodically to thier system at home? I'd hate to see something happen to the server, or someone haXor the site, and us loose the years and years of valuable information! This site rocks way too much to have something happen...

Just curious. I know that most webhosts do backups and whatnot, but if the company went out of business or something and just closed up shop and left the country...

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 08:37 PM
i bet one of the persons that would knoe would be Joe. this is a good question tho...we dont want to lose our information

2ndGenGuy
11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Who is Joe? Is that 87accordlxi? I haven't been around here long enough to know everybody by name I guess...

I'd be willing to set up daily off-site backups to my computer at work in maybe a week or two. I gotta wait for things to cool down at work... I'm swamped right now...

So who is the owner of the site? Would that be this Joe you speak of?

MessyHonda
11-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Who is Joe? Is that 87accordlxi? I haven't been around here long enough to know everybody by name I guess...

I'd be willing to set up daily off-site backups to my computer at work in maybe a week or two. I gotta wait for things to cool down at work... I'm swamped right now...

So who is the owner of the site? Would that be this Joe you speak of?

i believe so....also Marc49....it would be sweet to back up 3geez...how big do you think it is?....Joe said it was like 30gb a month for the bandwidth

MrBen
11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Marc and Joe both 'own' 3geez. Joe performs bimonthly backups of the 3geez database. It's a server intensive process and I believe we are just fine with the backups he does. If push came to shove one of the staff members would more than likely perform this task if he is for some reason unable to. I'm glad you brought it up - it's great to know members don't take 3geez for granted!

ghettogeddy
11-04-2006, 12:51 AM
heck no if there was no 3geez i might have to clean th ehouse or something this is like a life force if i dont at least read new post in a day i have panic attacks lol

87accordlxi
11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't have high speed internet at home, so I haven't been able to do backups to a HDD as much. I'll do them occasionally at work though, but it's not something I want to do very often for obvious reasons. I don't need our IT people wondering why I'm downloading a 350mb SQL file.

The board software allows us to backup and place the SQL file directly on the server, so I don't have to download anything. But it isn't very good with large databases because the large file can cause server timeouts.

HostileJava
11-04-2006, 07:28 AM
I know I offered before and nothing came of it, and of course it's up to you and marc, but I do have a server in my basement with just under a tb of storage and I have a 10mb/sec download. A file like that would be nothing for me to download and backup.

87accordlxi
11-04-2006, 08:28 AM
It's not really an issue of where to store it. I can ask Marc if he does backups.

HostileJava
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Joe you know I love you:wtf: , but an offsite backup is very important regardless of if it's me or some one else who hosts it. If somthing were to ever happen to the place that hosts the site we'd be SOL. Unless of course there are some other measures in place that us lowly mods don't know about :) Or perhaps I'm just missunderstanding what your stating?

87accordlxi
11-04-2006, 08:50 AM
No I understand that an off-site backup is better than putting it on the server. That's why I prefer to download it to my computer and put it in a CD. But it's just more convenient if Marc or I have the copies since we have the access to the admin panel and hosting account control panel if something goes wrong.

HostileJava
11-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Which of course makes sense, I was just under the impression from your last post that it was only being backed up to the server and to your work pc very irregularly.