PDA

View Full Version : really really need help fast!! :(

AccordChemist
09-01-2002, 10:13 AM
ok heres the story, i just changed my head gasket this week and once i put my car all back together, now it doesnt run right. at a dead stop, i floor it and a snail moves faster than it does. once i get up to about 20mph it gets better but nothing close to how my car was before. ive looked over everything seems like a million times. and ive checked everything like 30 times. timing, valves, new fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil, dist. cap, injectors, checkec fuel pressure, checked compression, checked all vacuum hoses, intake manifold, i can go on and on....i absolutley have no idea why this is happening....i need my car back on the road fast, hope you all can help me, i dont have any other choice.....thanks.

YK86
09-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Hmmm...hard to say since it could be tons of stuff but you've already checked quite a few thngs. Did you get the head resurfaced?? Timing belt on properly (not off by a tooth??). No leaks from the anywhere? Things that are hard to see like the hose that goes on the bottom of the PCV valve plugged in properly??

smufguy
09-01-2002, 10:29 AM
my first guess was vaccum lines, but u got said u got them right. I am assuming u got the torques on the head bolts right. but from the compression u did, its understandable that its not the torque on the bolts. I dont know man, seems like you got everything right as u said, but nothing works right?? hmm....... any psychics here?

AccordChemist
09-01-2002, 10:51 AM
yasu, i did everything you said, and actually i broke the hose under the pcv valve but i already replaced it....any more?

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-02-2002, 10:54 AM
I'd bet the valve timing is off a tooth. It is possible, by turning the distributor, to get the ignition timing right with the valve timing still being off a tooth. Turn the engine over by hand until the white "+" mark on the flywheel lines up exactly with the stationary pointer (you need a flashlight or something for this), and then take the valve cover off and make sure the "UP" mark is lined up (exactly) with the valve cover bolt stud, and the grooves in each side of the sprocket are lined up with the surface of the head. If it's not, then the timing belt is off a tooth. Take it off and adjust it until everything lines up.

Also, did you adjust your valve lash? Especially if you had new valve seals put in, you will definitely need to adjust the valves. That too could be the problem right there.

Good luck! ;)