PDA

View Full Version : anyone use those ITM gasket kits?

newaccorddriver
11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
i just compared my headgasket to the head, and many of the holes around the cylinders arent on the headgasket itself, yet the gasket has the proper bolt patterns, and a few of the oil/coolant holes. does anyone else have this problem?

Ichiban
11-05-2006, 05:45 PM
The local engine builder uses ITM products for the imports. As for the coolant holes, the headgasket is sometimes utilized to slow or direct the coolant. If the coolant is moving too quickly, it won't pick up the heat as it should. Same goes for the radiator. If you take out your thermostat, the coolant flows too quickly to lose the heat it has absorbed.

newaccorddriver
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
theres alot of passages that gets nowhere into the head at all... im gonna get an OEM headgasket anyways, but im just too scared to use this gasket since it would cause parts to overheat...

AccordEpicenter
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
i just wouldnt use anything except an oem honda headgasket, ive seen too many cheap aftermarket gaskets (especially headgaskets) fail on hondas.

newaccorddriver
11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
i just wouldnt use anything except an oem honda headgasket, ive seen too many cheap aftermarket gaskets (especially headgaskets) fail on hondas.

how are felpro gaskets? ive heard mixed reviews on those. as for the cheap aftermarket gaskets, i dont see how things like an intake manifold gasket could fail that easily, so would you care to explain?

87lxiaccord
11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
im using a felpro right now i haven't had any problems i drive hard but i've only had it in for 2000 miles

Ichiban
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
theres alot of passages that gets nowhere into the head at all... im gonna get an OEM headgasket anyways, but im just too scared to use this gasket since it would cause parts to overheat...

I think you'll find that the OEM and aftermarket gaskets are largely identical. Sealing quality is dictated more by the cleanliness, surface finish and trueness of the mating surfaces, rather than the gasket itself. Sure, there might be shitty gaskets out there but they should all be relatively close in performance.

newaccorddriver
11-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I think you'll find that the OEM and aftermarket gaskets are largely identical. Sealing quality is dictated more by the cleanliness, surface finish and trueness of the mating surfaces, rather than the gasket itself. Sure, there might be shitty gaskets out there but they should all be relatively close in performance.

but the block has holes for coolant to flow through the head itself. this gasket that i placed on top of the head doesnt have those holes, so it would let the head overheat in no time. im not sure if its a manurfacturer defect, but im going OEM just to be safe...

shepherd79
11-06-2006, 07:56 AM
i am using felpro gasket right now. It is works better than some cheap ones from ebay.

newaccorddriver
11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
i am using felpro gasket right now. It is works better than some cheap ones from ebay.
do you remember if it had all those coolant holes on it? mine has a majority of them covered up...

shepherd79
11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
the one i got from ebay had a few coolant holes blocked off. i didn't worried about because the rest of them were OK.
after 2-3 month i blew the seal between 3rd and 4th cylinder. lost compression in both cylinders.
I ended up replacing it with felpro. it was made a lot better and had a lot more coolant holes.

Ichiban
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't send the other headgasket back until you get the OEM gasket. You should compare the coolant holes between the two, and if different, post up a pic. It'll be interesting and good to know if there is much it the way of differences. Buyer beware.